Author Topic: Possible phantom pregnancy  (Read 1240 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Possible phantom pregnancy
« on: March 03, 2022, 06:05:55 AM »
Admin sorry not sure if this should be in health or behaviour

Well Ash had her season just over 4 weeks ago and I have noticed her lower teats are more swollen

she has been really funny with her food, won’t eat it out of a bowl or treat ball or flying saucer, but would if I scatter some on the floor or hand feed her. Now not wanting to even eat a scatter or be hand fed in the morning- take her for her walk and she comes back for a treat (which is her kibble, so I am ruling out it’s the food)

she is more lethargic in the mornings, this morning she has stayed on our bed when I came down (dad put her out for toilet an hour before I got up)

Toileting is still the same, as when she was in season, marking more when out on walks - going to try and get a sample today and take to vet to rule out an infection

Food wise will beg to get her Kong at 11am and 3pm, will happily eat treats (so this cruel mum has stopped them for now)

Yesterday managed to get her to eat her kibble with some rice in the morning and in the evening kibble and some wet dog food chicken (just put 2 slightly larger than teaspoons in and mixed it up)

The kibble I am using is orijen

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Re: Possible phantom pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 03:47:12 PM »
Hi Cazza,
I’ve not got any advice but how is Ash doing? I hope everything’s ok.

John.x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 10:04:38 PM »
I would want to rule out a possible pyometra which also has similar symptoms, its worth having her vet checked to rule this out.  Hope your girl is ok x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 05:20:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies

Ash is back to her normal self, thankfully and booked in to be spayed the end of April- can’t wait to get that over and done with

Vet has two options of a collar or body suit for after surgery and we are going to try the body suit - I have also bought her a harness to get used to now so I can take her out in the garden on a flexible lead to toilet etc after the op (another suggestion by the vet 👍 )

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 03:40:39 PM »
Really pleased that Ash is okay  :D

They certainly know how to worry us!