Author Topic: Dry, crusty patch on puppy ear.  (Read 1233 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Dry, crusty patch on puppy ear.
« on: March 11, 2022, 01:46:54 PM »
Hi,
I’ve found a patch of dry, crusty, scab-like skin on my 7 month old’s outside ear, it’s about the size of a 10p coin. I found it whilst grooming her and initially thought it was dried food, twig etc. it’s hard to see as she’s black and very furry. It’s on the skin, some of the particles are coming off the outside onto the comb. The very odd thing is Elsa’s reaction when I try to part her fur near it; her back legs start to do the scratching movements instantly, I don’t think she’s in pain but I think it’s highly irritating her. Her ear canals are clear and there’s no other physical sign of anything amiss.
It’s not fleas, tick, grass seed or debris. Nothing appears to be moving.
Could it be mites please? The scales stuff is a dark reddish brown colour. I thought mites went in ear canals but this mass is on the outside, in the middle of the ear.
Vet is booked for Monday. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve checked the other two dogs and there are no signs of anything.

Anybody got any ideas please?

Thanks. John.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Dry, crusty patch on puppy ear.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 03:38:40 PM »
Could it be dried blood?  She may have got her ears tangled in something like bramble, pulled herself clear but could have got a skin wound? The particles coming off could just be bits of a scab.  That is my first thought but I haven’t seen the patch myself and I am sure you must have considered it. Hopefully you will get other suggestions too.
With my previous dogs when cuddling them,  I would often come across little scabs and I never knew where they got them from.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 04:16:30 PM »
Thanks Vixen, it probably is, I suspect I’m worrying over nothing! it’s likely to be zoomie related. Now my feet are back on the ground I’ve felt unidentified scabs on Peanut too, thanks for replying; I’ll stop looking at magnified mites on Google now!  :005:

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 11:36:10 AM »
Hi,
There are now 2 crusty scabs on the same ear, within 1cm of each other. I think these scabs are from her scratching. The new one has happened overnight and has bled.
Her ears are very clean, there’s nothing visible on the inside of the ear. There’s no sign of a parasite on her. I’ve not changed her food and she’s not been swimming. I’ve not bathed her or used any products. I’m a bit lost at what’s causing irritation.
I’m thinking I should clean the dried blood off with hibiscrub, dry it and apply an antiseptic cream three times a day. Also to apply Thornit’s to both ears and paws. Wait and watch for 48 hours. Does this sound reasonable please?

Thanks.
John.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 12:22:32 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. This time of year produces all sorta of irritants, pollen, mites, fungal spores etc so it might just be a harmless reaction to something. As long as she‘s not scratching continually and the spot‘s not getting bigger or inflamed, I‘d probably do the same as you. You can still go to the vet if it doesn‘t clear but there‘s no point on forking out immediately on something you can deal with yourself.
Might she have been stung by something?  :huh:
Give her a  :bigarmhug: from me and Humph’‘

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 12:52:05 PM »
Thanks Jayne, she’s not scratching constantly, maybe once an hour, but when she does it’s quite fierce. She’s near me all day so I’m watching her like a hawk. I don’t want to put the collar/cone thing on her but I think it’s best to through the night. I really don’t want this to escalate so I’ll watch her for 24 hours.
I’m about to start to clean it. I might need to carefully trim her hair around it as she’s in full fluff and it’s almost impossible to see skin.
I’ve read so many threads on here and it seems skin irritation can be caused by so many things. I suppose I’m reluctant to go to the vet at this stage as it might turn into tons of test/allergy avenues. I’m really hoping the first scab was caused by a branch which has started the itching off etc. so if I can get it to heal I can avoid going done the steroid route and tests.

Really appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Big hugs back to you and Humphrey from Lily, Peanut and Elsa.

John.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »
Ear bathed, clean and dry. There are two surface sores, both very small. I suspect ears bleed a lot just like ours. It’s not warm and doesn’t look infected.
I don’t see how I can stop her scratching so reluctantly put the cone on. She’s looking very sad. My thinking is if more sores appear then it’s not her scratching?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 10:45:48 AM »
Ooo good luck sorting that out hope you get to the bottom of it  :luv:

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
Thanks Cazza. Took the cone off after 48 hours as scabs dried and she looked so sad wearing it. Within ten mins her ear is bleeding. Cleaned her up and cone back on. Think we might have to leave it on a week.
I don’t know whether it’s irritation or a scratching habit. She is lively, eating well and poop is normal. A bit lost to be honest!

How’s Ash doing?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »
How’s the ear now?

Ah is doing good thanks - a month today I won’t be saying that, as she’ll most probably be driving me nuts  :005: :shades: I will be trying to keep a lively little madam quiet as being spayed  :shades: