Author Topic: Greedy dog  (Read 2833 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Greedy dog
« on: July 26, 2022, 04:53:37 PM »
Having problems with my nearly 8 year old, Benji.  His food obsession and anxiety has got so much worse and whilst he was staying with his usual home boarder, she’s told me how he’s been trying to get into bins, pushing them over and being a nuisance.  Also barking from 5am onwards.  He had a spinal operation in January where he had to stay over 5 nights in hospital and his separation anxiety worsened. He was then in a crate for 8 weeks only able to go out for toilet breaks.  It was stressful for all.  He’s been having fortnightly physio to strengthen his back leg muscles.  Could any of this attribute to his food obsession do you think?  He’s on Simpsons Sensitive salmon & potato kibble (as my other dog has a sensitive tummy).  Should I add raw vegetables to his food or even change it?  If so, any recommendations to make him feel fuller would be really helpful. 
Thanks in advance

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Greedy dog
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »
Hi Hayley!
Glad to hear Benji‘s doing well, (Humphrey’s still struggling, we go to physio once a month although I don‘t imagine there‘ll be much improvement now but he‘s mobile, albeit by way of a hop, skip and jump!  :lol2: so we‘re grateful for that )
I do think the whole episode has probably had an effect on both of them, they (and we!) went through a very traumatic few months and, as you say, it was incredibly stressful (still is sometimes). Its knocked his confidence and he‘s a lot more wary of strange dog.
I had to resort to handing out treats a lot more than before the op, both to get him to do his exercises and also in the form of nose games etc to keep him occupied while he was immobile and consequently he‘s become very demanding, both for food and for attention! I‘ve had to reduce his food as he‘s not so active and he‘s always hungry. I give him vegetables to fill him up, he gets raw carrots as treats and loves most fruits and I add cooked vegetables to his meals (he‘s fed raw but you could mix into tinned or kibble). I also have some dried vegetables on hand which can be mixed with hot water and left to stand for about 15 minutes.
I think cockers are fairly greedy dogs anyway and as they get older it possibly gets worse, however I do think the trauma that our poor lads suffered has most certainly made it worse!.
Cuddles to Benji from me and tail wags from Humphrey
 :luv: Jayne

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:00:13 PM »
Hi Jayne
I’ve started an email back to you but haven’t sent it yet!  Thanks for your advice.  I’ll add some veg with his food plus may be up his kibble slightly.  He’s been knocking over lidded waste bins and just being a nuisance over food.  I’m sure you’re right after their ops that they have changed after having our attention nearly 24/7 in the early days.  It’s really horrible to see sometimes how greedy he can be.   Big hugs to Humphrey and you x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 07:43:33 AM »
Don't know if this will help your stressed dogs, it certainly helps Minstrel with his anxiety and stress.

https://yumove.co.uk/products/yucalm-dog

Just thinking that being continually stressed/anxious is using up their energy, = need for more food?

Hope it helps
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 08:42:08 AM »
Don't know if this will help your stressed dogs, it certainly helps Minstrel with his anxiety and stress.

https://yumove.co.uk/products/yucalm-dog

Just thinking that being continually stressed/anxious is using up their energy, = need for more food?

Hope it helps

Thank you!!! That’s a good point! Indeed,  a lot of us turn to food in stress situations so its feasible our dogs are no different. I‘ll certainly have a look at that!  ;)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 09:55:08 AM »
Thanks Mudmagnets.  I have tried him on them a while back but I’ll try anything again at the moment.  I’m desperate as it’s really getting to me.  Dyou know how long they take to work?   

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
Thanks Mudmagnets.  I have tried him on them a while back but I’ll try anything again at the moment.  I’m desperate as it’s really getting to me.  Dyou know how long they take to work?

In Minstrel's case it was gradual improvement - over about a week or two, altho I did notice he slept better even on the first night, gave it to him after his evening meal about 6ish - you could try some Rescue Remedy Calming Wipes (other products available) for a quick calming strategy, you may have tried these already?:

https://petremedy.co.uk/shop/

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 09:35:45 PM »
Yes I have used those calming wipes before.  Didn’t really notice much difference.  Thanks though.