Author Topic: My five month pup barely eats  (Read 3232 times)

Offline tritonx

My five month pup barely eats
« on: April 10, 2023, 03:38:50 AM »
My new little fellow is cute as can be and seems healthy enough, but I just can't find a food he likes. He was sent to me with a freeze dried raw food that the litter had been put on at weaning and he ate it happily enough, it seemed for a few weeks and then started turning his nose up. I moved him over to Acana puppy food which he ate for a while and then started leaving. He also had a bout of diarrhoea that went on long enough that I took him to the vets who put him on an antibiotic and Fortiflora and worming pills. Also sent home with Royal Canin gastro food which he turned nose up at. Went back and was given canned gastro. Refused to even take a taste. Then given another can of gastro. Same thing. Since a good range of nutrition was not present, sent home with Royal Canin puppy food which he will take a couple of mouthfuls of and then sometimes finish off the one bowl set out in the morning. But I couldn't get more food into him, was giving him boiled chicken with some yam (he didn't like pumpkin) and then after a talk with the clinic dietitian tried him on mince (boiled ground beef). I've been piecing together daily food for him by leaving the puppy kibble out in one dish for grazing and minced beef and gravy a couple of times a day, also a couple of tsp. of bran buds for fibre coated with a skim of peanut butter. And yet he gained weight while eating way below the normal amounts advised on the tins and bags of food. Long as this is, it doesn't cover all the other things I've tried to get him interested in eating. It never occurred to me after Fraser who inhaled his food and spent his life looking for more outside on his walks that I'd get a pup who can't be persuaded to eat enough. Forgot to say he eventually went through three courses of antibiotic and was given a course of Giardia crystals. Strangely, the stool panel he had didn't show anything obvious. Has this degree of food pickiness happened to anyone here?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: My five month pup barely eats
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 10:43:14 AM »
Oh they do cause us some grey hairs don’t they? !  :huh:
I think some dogs are just picky eaters, my first GSD was a nightmare, but unless he‘s actually underweight, or unhealthy I‘d be inclined to take away any food not eaten within about 10 minutes and not offer anything again until the next meal time, its at least worth a try, won’t do him any harm done over just a few days. It does sound a bit harsh and we all obviously all want our pets to enjoy their food but I made a big mistake with my GSD, the food used to stand around all day and he never really got into a good feeding routine. It could just be that its an age thing and just a phase. Humphrey went through it at around 6 months but we then changed to raw and have had no problems since - he is a spaniel though :lol2: and if he didn’t behave like a canine dustbin I know there‘d be cause for concern!  :005:
Hope you manage to find a complete food that suits him.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 11:48:26 AM »
I don't know if this is worth a try, my pup is on Royal Canin Puppy Mini both dry and the wet pouches, he has 30g dry with 30gr (approx) wet pouch mixed up three times a day atm.

Rupert is 3.5 month Westiepoo (and he does  :lol2: )

When he came to me from the breeder she said he was a grazer - he was not keen on the dry alone with a tiny bit of wet - and he would eat a bit, play, eat a bit sleep, but since I have changed the ratio he eats the lot in one go (Having Minstrel about who ate what he left helped :005: ) He is doing well on the food.

The mini food is for pups with an expected adult weight of 9-10kg, I expect for a cocker you would need the medium kibble/wet.
Hope this helps  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 11:46:50 PM »
Well, I contacted the breeder who said Australian labradoodles often aren't food driven and very smart. Smart enough to wait to see if anything even better is forthcoming. She said let hunger be his guide. Remove after 10 mins and put out again at a later meal as you suggested Bizzylizzy. I'll also have a look for the puppy mini. Worth a try. I have one of those large Kong weighted treat toys that Jamie likes to knock about. I put quite a large amount of puppy kibble into it and left it out on the dining room floor. He actually ate most of the kibble that he knocked out that he turns his nose up to when put in a bowl. Filled it up again with a previous kibble he'd gone off when put in a bowl and he ate most of that too. Beginning to suspect I'm being played by my five month pup with a brain the size of a ping pong ball. Hmmm. From behind the curtain of babyhood emerges a personality to be contended with. Noted. Thanks for your ideas. Off to buy more ridiculously expensive training treats. I cannot believe the prices in pet food stores and how much I'm spending. Bully chews, $40 for about 4 or 5 six inch chews! I'm starting to call him my million dollar pup with original cost of purchase and subsequent costs of equipment, food and treats. Oh well. He's my companion, cute as hell and makes me laugh every day.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 07:11:36 AM »

Well, I contacted the breeder who said Australian labradoodles often aren't food driven and very smart. Smart enough to wait to see if anything even better is forthcoming. She said let hunger be his guide. Remove after 10 mins and put out again at a later meal as you suggested Bizzylizzy. I'll also have a look for the puppy mini. Worth a try. I have one of those large Kong weighted treat toys that Jamie likes to knock about. I put quite a large amount of puppy kibble into it and left it out on the dining room floor. He actually ate most of the kibble that he knocked out that he turns his nose up to when put in a bowl. Filled it up again with a previous kibble he'd gone off when put in a bowl and he ate most of that too. Beginning to suspect I'm being played by my five month pup with a brain the size of a ping pong ball. Hmmm. From behind the curtain of babyhood emerges a personality to be contended with. Noted. Thanks for your ideas. Off to buy more ridiculously expensive training treats. I cannot believe the prices in pet food stores and how much I'm spending. Bully chews, $40 for about 4 or 5 six inch chews! I'm starting to call him my million dollar pup with original cost of purchase and subsequent costs of equipment, food and treats. Oh well. He's my companion, cute as hell and makes me laugh every day.

:lol2: - just a thought, as he‘s eaten the kibble from the kong, - maybe you could switch the expensive training treats for the kibble?
He sounds like a real character though and its nice that he‘s so different to Fraser, you’re less likely to fall into the trap of trying to compare them - and making you laugh every day makes him worth every penny you spend isn’t it?  :luv: :luv:
We‘ve been laughing this morning, OH has a bad knee at the moment and my answer is, he should lose some weight, - Humphrey on the other hand has a bad back, he has 2 lots of homeopathic medication, extra Vitamins, Brewers Yeast and Yumove tablets, plus ongoing expensive physiotherapy every month!......(I also give far more thought to what he gets to eat )  :005: :005:

Offline russ-g

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 01:24:24 PM »
Another vote for Royal Canin Cocker Puppy. But it sounds like some tough love is in order. He's clever, but he can't win if you stand strong!

Offline tritonx

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 06:10:05 PM »
That made me laugh, Bizzylizzy. Your husband, just get on with it Humphrey, what do you need, my darling. I'm sure you love your husband, but they're big and independent and can take care of themselves. However, our beloved doggie companions, their health and happiness is entirely in our hands and we try to live up to the responsibility. I had, in fact, been using the Royal Canin puppy kibble that he was leaving in the bowl for everyday treats when he was doing something I wanted to reward along with the other expensive treats. Not all that interesting to him, but generally he'd accept it as I'd been kind enough to offer it. What really perks his cute little ears up is chicken, so I use that for the key training efforts, loose leash walking, come etc. He has been scratching a bit, especially in the morning and I've read chicken is a common allergen for dogs. I sure hope not for Jamie as it's the sure fire treat that makes him want to obey. The scratching isn't intense or focused on any one area, so just keeping an eye out for now. He's on Revolution flea treatment, the kind you put on the nape of their neck. I really don't like that method as I find getting down to the skin through lots of hair and a wriggling pup difficult. I'm never sure I've got it onto the ski. Many breeders are dead set against the class of flea treatments in the  isoxazoline class like Symparica which Fraser was on. His vet at the time said it can cause seizures in a small percentage of dogs, but just look out for it, not a problem for most. It's actually written into breeders contracts not to use. Unfortunately, Revolution doesn't cover ticks which are common here and there's lots of deer walking across grassy areas.  In the meantime, stiffening my resolve to wait out Jamie's food reluctance until hunger drives him to consuming something. He's a devil for nipping kleenexes out of my pocket (I should train him for a line in criminal picking pocketing), but kleenexes are low in nutrition.  :016:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 03:15:28 PM »
loved reading through this and your new journey with pup....quite a challenge, lost Ollie early this year and have a six month old - he is a darling but do I have problem with food....no :luv: he is the otherway. Gobbles his food so fast has a slow feeder bowl.  Plus I have never spent as much on things lick mat and doggy peanut butter and  even mashing banana and peanuts and freezing into ice treat....must admit not really interested - but gobbled it up when almost finished with quite a frozen bit swallowed - panic ph34r

You mention flea treatment, well for us over here Revolution is Strongold.  Must admit I am the other way and not to sure about the isoxazole type (Bravecto or Nexguard) in UK.  Used widely but worry about side effects.
Spot on over here like Frontline Plus cover ticks and so does Advantix not sure if over where you are.  But must say I was very much like you my new boy is blue roan and trying to part his hair to apply treatment is so hard compared to my Ollie, still onward and upward with our new adventure, off to puppy class later, and my weekly dose of laughter :005:  Honestly the names of the dogs makes it hard to keep a straight face...the bichon called Otto!!!

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline tritonx

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 06:08:02 PM »
Jaysmum, so sorry to hear your loss of Ollie. It's such a huge hole they leave in your life when they have to go. Fraser's death is coming up for close to a year now and I still miss his lovely face and beautiful eyes, silky ears, funny jaunty trot. After experiencing cocker food madness, it's such a surprise to have to lure my pup into eating. It's morning here and I'm learning not to bother putting any food down as he just isn't interested even though it's over 12 hours since he last had anything. Just a waste as I end up throwing it out. The big surprise is his current weight at the vet clinic yesterday. Last weight 2 weeks ago was 7.5 kg and yesterday 7.9, so he's gaining weight and strength. But on what??  :dunno: The notion of 3 meals per day as advertised for a growing pup is laughable. I'm honestly trying to sneak food into his surprisingly growing body. I had contacted the breeder and she said Australian labradoodles are often not food driven. I told her considering his quite big weight gain at 5 months (he's supposed to be a mini topping out at 20 lbs, started at 5 lbs when I got him at 8 weeks) I suspected he was sneaking out at night to a nearby bar with all you can eat chicken wings. I also did a couple of those expected adult weight for pup calculators, putting in his age, his current weight and type of dog and the results came out medium size, 34-41 lbs.  :o I guess we'll see. As with everything puppyworld, all will be revealed or mitigated (biting, toileting) in time.