Author Topic: Would you see this as a set back?  (Read 999 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Would you see this as a set back?
« on: June 24, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
At the end of our walk yesterday morning I threw Millies ball one last time  ::) and it pretty much landed on a rabbit concealed in the grass. Millie took off after it but instead of going in to a hedge it ran the length of the field (8 acres) and out of sight. I ran after them but Millie had completely disappeared, I looked for about 5-10 minutes jogging round about three fields calling her. I then spotted her about 1/4 of a mile away across a huge field, she spotted me and came zooming back bless her.

Anyway my trainer has basically told me that she will always chase in certain situations and really it was just a matter of time. I was very chilled out when it happened, and didn't get angry at her for chasing  ph34r. Also she was working her way back and came running when she saw me. Before the training she would have run off to hunt straight away and would have ran away from me until I caught her. So I'm thinking that I've finally excepted that this is how she will be, although she is soooo much better there will still be that unpredictable chasing and I just have to make sure that we walk in a safe area?

Millie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Would you see this as a set back?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »
I think she and you did really well - CONGRATULATIONS  :-*

I also think there is always going to be the chance of an exceptional circumstance which you won't be able to control, but if you can manage what happens next then that is the main thing....and I think that applies to a lot of owners, me included  ;) :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
I wouldn't worry, not every situation can be predicted and avoided.  I think you both did really well so don't let it get you down  ;)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
I think you both did really well  :shades:  They are all unpredictable to a greater or lesser degree as they are not robots, they are animals with free will - we just try to get them to WANT to behave our way  :lol2:

You did really well and she obviously wanted to come back, so the training has obviously worked well.

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:02 PM »

I also think there is always going to be the chance of an exceptional circumstance which you won't be able to control, but if you can manage what happens next then that is the main thing....and I think that applies to a lot of owners, me included  ;) :D

Agree with this 100%  :blink:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:55 AM »

Agree with this 100%  :blink:

Me too! No dog is 100% all the time. It's a great goal to shoot for, but very unrealstic to expect.

And for her to come back under such circumstances; think about it, it's a dogs dream come true, the ball turned into a bunny!  :lol2:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:03:20 AM »

I agree - I cannot imagine a time when I could rely on Coco 100% (or even 90%) not to chase something like a bunny when out and about.  >:(  Some temptations are just too hard to resist  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »
I agree with the others too, 100% is an unachievable utopia in my book and sadly..... in my experience too :005:. It's also why we love our cockers.. I'd have a free spirit over a robot anyday (well, most days :lol2:)

And for her to come back under such circumstances; think about it, it's a dogs dream come true, the ball turned into a bunny!  :lol2:
   :rofl1: :rofl1:

I think the fact that she was looking for you and making her way back to you is a big plus... try and capitalise on that with stacks of praise. I've had heaps of problems with my Weim going off hunting but slowly, me being really pleased with her and praising her lots for returning has started to become her priority rather than doing her own thing. Like Millie, she'll always be a bit of a liability but the difference in her given lots of patience and time has been amazing.. if I don't praise her for doing a 'flyby' on walks now she stops and looks at me with an 'Oi tell me I'm a good girl cos I have been! I only left you for three minutes this time!!!!' expression. Bless her  :luv:

Well done and Keep going!!!
Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Ah thanks you lot, its always nice too know that other people go through it too  :lol2:.

Millie