Author Topic: Our first puppie some questions please ?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline juless77

Our first puppie some questions please ?
« on: October 06, 2020, 01:34:18 PM »

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are going to be getting our first working cocker spaniel.

The litter is born next week and we are on the waiting list. The pups will be ready in December and we are very excited to bring a puppy into their forever home.

I have a few questions I wanted to ask on here please.

The Breeder has said we can come and reserve our puppy a week onwards after they’re born. How are we supposed to decide if the puppy is right for us at such a young age? We will have no idea about their temperament and nature as they will have only just started to open their eyes. Is this a common thing for breeders to do? Has anybody got advice for this?

The breeder has also not set a price for the pups yet and said he will after a week old. Why can’t he tell us the price now? Is this common?

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Re: Our first puppie some questions please ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »
This does not sound too good to me.  The puppies should all be priced the same, dogs and bitches.  Some breeders will try to charge more for a particular sex.  Is this man waiting to see what colour these puppies will be, and possibly charge more for one colour than another.  How can you commit to have one of these puppies when you have no idea of the price.  Also, good breeders normally wait until the puppies are a few weeks old, maybe 3-4 weeks, before allowing potential new owners to view the litter.  Are the parents Health Tested ?  Lots of questions being raised in my head. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »
This does not sound too good to me.  The puppies should all be priced the same, dogs and bitches.  Some breeders will try to charge more for a particular sex.  Is this man waiting to see what colour these puppies will be, and possibly charge more for one colour than another.  How can you commit to have one of these puppies when you have no idea of the price.  Also, good breeders normally wait until the puppies are a few weeks old, maybe 3-4 weeks, before allowing potential new owners to view the litter.  Are the parents Health Tested ?  Lots of questions being raised in my head.

Yes I agree, I would be very wary of buying a puppy in these circumstances. Quite apart from the dangers of it not being tested for health issues, which of course is an important issue, if you were to put down a deposit, I would imagine it would be non-returnable and if the price (which are generally through the roof atm) is then what you cannot afford, you are then stuck with the loss of your deposit. I believe also there are dangers of buying a pup in the present situation we are in with COVID etc., for instance where would you have to travel to, would if be safe for you to do so?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 07:06:08 AM »
I have to agree with the last two posts I‘m afraid. The current crisis has given rise to a huge increase in the unscrupulous breeding and sale of pets, all over Europe. I‘m not suggesting this breeder is untrustworthy but I do think you need to be extra vigilant. Is he registered? Has he bred before? Have you seen the parents? Where did they come from ? What are the conditions like?
Its very hard not to turn a blind eye when you‘re eagerly awaiting your puppy and once you actually see him, you’ll not be in the best position to think clearly  :shades: but asking all the right questions now and even being  a bit suspicious could save you a lot of heartache later.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
Hi,  I agree with the other comments.  No, it is not common for breeders to decide on a price later on.  If a litter has been bred without greed as the main motivator, they breeder will have decided well before the litter on a price, and communicated that to you if you've asked.  Sounds like he's waiting it out to see how much he is able to extort based on the puppy prices when he wants to sell the puppies.  It's been quite common during covid, for breeders to suddenly increase puppy prices at the last minute when people are about to collect their puppies  >:D >:D.  Please do not buy a puppy through Pets4homes - there are lots of 'greeders' on there.  If you want recommendations of decent working cocker breeders, them pm me and i'll help as much as i can with contacts.  Don't be in a rush tp get a puppy.  I know it's difficult, but if you do, you'll run the risk of being ripped off.  Sorry if that's all a bit blunt - but you really need to be careful.  All the best.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »
I too want to herald the warning signs....my concern is around anyone who plans a litter for sale prior to Xmas it just sound of getting the most money of folks.

It really is not normal to set a price later and it does sound like greed.

I do not want to dampen your joy as I can see from your post you are longing for a four legged friend to give a forever home to.

This year has seen so much demand and this has brought people wanting to make a buck or two to the for front, sadly it has also seen a rise in dog and puppy thefts.

I would think of a list of questions to ask the breeder.. and if he is not ready to answer .... look elsewhere.

Good luck
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »
Sorry to add to this, but I would be walking away from that.  Not going to rewrite what others have said, but that definitely wouldn't be for me.