Author Topic: i phone query  (Read 7409 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
i phone query
« on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
This is not totally computer but, OH has just got lastest galaxy phone and has a redundant i phone which as it has lot of pics etc on he has kept, it no longer has a contract....my question is can I put a new sim in the i phone and use it, or my old sim.
I have a bog standard pay as you go, I am not that interested in phones and apps and only use now and again, but the camera would be so useful, to catch pics of Ollie.

Any advice.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline sodpot2000

Re: i phone query
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »
The answer is yes but...

If the phone came on contract from such as EE then it will only work if you put a SIM in from the same provider. Phones can be freed from this restriction but I don't know how you do it. I think it is called a jail break.

If your OH bought the phone rather than having it on contract then it may work with any suitably sized SIM.

I hope that helps. If you go to somewhere like Carphone Warehouse they will be able to advise you what your options are.

Rodney

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »
sometimes unlocking i-phones is for a
limited period for instance at computer-ex
round the corner its £60 and they can only garuntee
the unlock for 12 months... i got given an i-phone that
was locked tp o2 so i got a o2 sim for it cos i'm too tight to
pay that money for only 12 months

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
Yep the phone was on contract and he has a new phone but they gave him the old one and so he can access any saved data etc and photos to download to his laptop.

Its hilarious - he has this up to date swishy phone and it is cheaper per month than the phone he has had for last 2-3 year :shades:  I am not sure of the store, but I don't want a contract.  Will pop in when next in town and ask them

Julie

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »
If the phone was on contract with O2, you will be able to use a Giff Gaff sim in it as they use the same network. If you Google Giff Gaff you will see how to get a pay as you go sim from them. Just make sure you get the right sim for the iPhone model you have - the new 6s takes a nano sim, the 5s I think is a micro sim, you'll need to check.  It's a great network, you get a lot for your money.

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
If the phone was on contract with O2, you will be able to use a Giff Gaff sim in it as they use the same network. If you Google Giff Gaff you will see how to get a pay as you go sim from them. Just make sure you get the right sim for the iPhone model you have - the new 6s takes a nano sim, the 5s I think is a micro sim, you'll need to check.  It's a great network, you get a lot for your money.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
Well if you parden my french what ...... useless lot they are in the O2 shop I went in about giff gaff sim >:D

OH phone was from O2 and his new one is too.....seems they have billed him incorrectly over that so he is going into our local store with his new phone and will take old i phone and he will ask about giff gaff.

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »
The O2 shop won't help with Giff Gaff! You need to go to www.giffgaff.com and order a sim, but make sure it's the right size for the model of iPhone you have.  When I mentioned O2 previously, it was just to say that a giffgaff sim will work in a phone that is locked to O2, but not if its locked to a different network.  Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
Well OH has an appt today with O2 shop in our town and the man he spoke with send he would sort out giff gaff - so whether he will explain etc or sort it out not sure, but at least he is proving helpful. :D

Will let you know how he gets on.

Julie

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 11:24:27 PM »
O2 will be able to unlock the phone so you can put any sim in it. They are obliged to do it at the end of a contract if you ask. They shouldn't charge and it's much safer than paying anyone else. Jail breaking is having it done by anyone other than the original contractor can give problems with software and updating

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
I have decided to give up.....this misinformation 02 are giving makes me >:D

Hubby was told last week best to get a sim from who ever as 02 are expensive, he went into the store because the person he got his new phone from in 02 said data could not be transfer to new phone from his old, then he was told by friend to phone and make appt and go back so he did and data was transferred, it was this time that he was told to get a sim etc.

After reading ElvieMogs thread I went into 02 yesterday to ask was the old phone unlocked when hubby spoke with them last week, oh no said him we cant do that its locked to 02, you will have to ring 02 customer services to see if they can do that, so says I how can they do that if the number is transferred to new phone.....its not something we normally do you will have to speak to them, hubby ushered me out because he could see I was going to blow................ >:D

Julie

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »
Phones are getting so complicated - such a pain in the rear end.  All we really want is to be able to call people, text people and receive calls and texts - oh and a decent camera for taking pix of our beloved dogs.
I am sure that we all have phones that do far more than we actually use!

Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
You could try somewhere such as Carphone Warehouse. I have always found them very helpful as have others i have spoken to.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
Only problem is the phone was an 02 contract and OH got a new phone from 02, so understand the old phone needs to be unlocked by 02, think I will leave till Jan 2016 might be more inclined to pulled there fing out by then :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »