Author Topic: Memory stick - would this be any good?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Memory stick - would this be any good?
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »
I know I keep asking stoopid questions  :005: but I've come to realise that I have no idea about technical matters  ;)

I'm getting a new laptop just for me!  (I've already taken out a second mortgage for one for my daughters birthday  ::) )

The only things I want to transfer from the old PC to the laptop are my photos and maybe some old emails that mean something to me.  I've seen these memory sticks and wondered if I could load them onto that and then put them on the new laptop?  I have loads of pics - and the laptop has Vista not XP.  Would this be any good?  It looks good and is really cheap but would it do the job?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=101137&PHPSESSID=fb6656bf8d6bc1bbe355e28dd5b9ea1f

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Memory stick - would this be any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »
Could you not send an email to your self with attachments of what you want to save - when you get your laptop log on to the email and save it from there

My son has a memory stick which he saves work onto from home to take into school and visa versa  :D

Hope that helps

Offline summertime

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
that would do it and the 7day shop is pretty cheap

there is a cable you can buy (I got mine half price with the laptop) and it automatically transfers all your documents from you xp machine to your vista machine so you dont miss anything.

transfer cable

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
Memory stick is the way to go - quick and easy. Only 2gb though which might not be enough if you have a lot of pics but just do them in batches and you'll be sorted. I've got loads of memory sticks lol use them for all sorts :005:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
Thanks again for your help guys  :luv:  I'm a perfectly normal person that can control her life - until you start talking technical stuff! 

I've even got a technical guy ready to come round to set up the router and get the two laptops up and ready!  He's a gem though - retired now but so helpful and knowledgable.  He gave me advice on my new laptop and I wish I'd spoken to him before getting Becks .................. job done though and her brand new laptop is just waiting for his visit to get it up and running  ;)

I may invest in two of these memory stick thingy's and then Beck can have one once the transfer is done  ;)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:23:20 PM »
In my opinion and through lessons learned, i would buy some discs and burn your photos.  I have lost 2 lots of photographs due to bad virus' that totally wiped out my hard-drive! I was always taught at college to back everything up! Didnt listen as along with the recent photo loss i also lost a lot of work!  >:(

Also if both your computers are on the same network, just put them in the public folder on you old computer, if its set up correctly your laptop should be able to access them.  Go on your windows help and type in 'wireless file sharing' to get some pointers.

:D

Sorry didnt realised how oldish this thread was  :embarassed:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
I love my memory stick (almost as much as I love my graphics pad and pen) so go for it --- they are very useful but as someone else suggested back up the things you cherish on CDs/DVDs as well
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
We got a 2gb memory sticks from ebay for around six pounds each. I like you am not technically minded but its really simple.I can put pics on there not to take up too much computer memory and when i need things photocopied i can save them onto the stick and my oh takes the stick into work with him and does my photo copying for free ph34r.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:58:32 PM »
I've been getting SD cards from Tesco, as they were on offer for a while.....then I've got USB card readers from the £1 shop  :D so acts as a memory stick  :shades:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:55 PM »
Someone ate my card reader :'(
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 11:57:41 PM »
You could save them to a memory card if both have a memory slot.  Or you can save photos onto photobucket or similar?  then you can access them whenever you want and this would be free.  Similarly if money is an issue, set up a hotmail account and forward all the emails you want to keep to this address and you can then access them anywhere.