Author Topic: Breeder references  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
Breeder references
« on: July 08, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
Hi I'm looking to get a show type pup for a family pet.  I've been looking for a breeder and have a possible kc registered one who may have a litter soon. They are council licenced too as they breed and show a couple of different breeds. My question is any thought on breeders who produce several litters in a year all be it different parents and has anyone ever asked a breeder for customer references?
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: Breeder references
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm personally not overly fond of breeders who have several different breeds but that may just be my prejudice, they may be excellent breeders. Just because they're council registered isn't necessarily a sign of quality but rather a legal requirement because they have several litters in a year, do you know how many?

Whereabouts are you? as that will influence any recommendations we might make to help you choose and how far are you willing to travel to view a litter?
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
Our Golden Retriever pup came from a breeder locally who breeds several litters a year (from different parents obviously), and also breeds border terriers.   I was dubious at first, but when we went to view her latest litter, was pleasantly surprised.  Lovely setup, obviously in love with every single one of her dogs, and we saw both Mum and Dad. She asked all the right questions about our home, garden, walks, our experience with owning dogs etc.  I checked out the parents on the KC Register, and her other litters.  She also has a Facebook page so I contacted a few owners of pups from previous litters and they all gave the breeder an excellent reference.   We subsequently decided to buy one of the pups, and I have to say that, 4 months on we are delighted with our lovely girl.  Go and visit, ask lots of questions, and, expect lots of questions to be asked of you (if they don't question you, walk away!). It's probably easier to do this before the litter is born, if possible, then you can be more objective and not think with your heart if there are no puppies to fall in love with then and there! :luv: Check whether they have a FB page and if so, message some of the members who post there.  Then just go with your gut instinct and trust your own judgement.  Good luck x

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I understand the council requirement and the licence says for 18 dogs.
I'm in Yorkshire I don't mind travelling around 100 miles. If anyone has info please feel free to pm me. Thanks.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
Council licensed breeders are commercial breeders, breeding dogs for profit - that doesn't necessarily means they are bad breeders but it doesn't mean they are good ones either (plenty of establishments which are little more than puppy farms have council licences for example) Breeder testimonials found on websites or FB pages are not necessarily genuine either - it is easy to fake such feedback. piph's advice is good - ask lots of questions, check all health testing results via the My KC website (you need to set up a free account first) & try to build up a relationship with a breeder first (we have got to know people interested in our puppies often months before a litter is actually ready to leave home)

If you are looking for a show type breeder, you could also try the breed clubs in your area. For a list of breed clubs and contact details, go here: http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/breedclubs.htm
Jane

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
Thanks Jane.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
If I was looking for a family pet, I would stay well clear of this type of establishment. Nothing more than puppy farms in my opinion.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »
Ironically, my Monty came from one of those type of establishments (council registered, owns a few breeding bitches) but after having 2 difficult and ultimately devastating experiences having bought 2 cockers from highly respected show breeders, I wanted to go down another route.  Monty is the most delightful, easy-going dog around, toilet trained super fast, is amazing round my daughters (the no. 1 priority after my last one) and is to date, very healthy.  I did lots of research and asked a couple of people (including one COL'er) about how their pups had progressed and both were over the moon with their dog's personality and behaviour etc from this particular breeder.  I wanted a pup which was brought up in the hustle and bustle of a family environment, which these pups are but I agree you really have to be very careful on who you choose.  Good luck!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
Geordietyke, I remember the awful time you had, so nice that you have Monty now.  It does seem a bit of a minefield. I'm going to talk to a spaniel club next. Can never have too much advice.

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
I notice my local branch of cocker uk breed club says on its website it doesn't recommend breeders or advise on puppies.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
I wasn't in a rush, i did research like yourself and narrowed it down to a few breeders, then went to meet them, their dogs, see their set up and asked lots of questions with some of them asking me lots too. I got Reese from the one that felt right for me, lovely happy dogs, well cared for, great people and nice set up. They had shown a much larger breed most of their lives they had retired and when their son bought home a cocker they were smitten!  So they had a small amount of two breeds of dogs, they don't breed very often and health and temperaments are their priority. They were planning to breed when the bitch next came in season, so I waited and wasn't disappointed.   :D
I think you get the best feel for someone when you visit and best to do it when no puppies to pull at your heart strings!  ;)

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »
Thanks Theo961
I think you're right, patience is going to be the key.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »
Have to admit it is a minefield................I once posted about someone who had taken on a breeders older dog and nearly fell over when man told me the dog had six litters, still see the owner and dog, clearly she is a stunner and just a look and you can tell she is pedigree cocker.

I believe that registered breeders with the kennel club have to have a lower litter ratio now.

I think you really have to just use your instinct's and go with what you feel is right, a breeder with award winning dogs of any type who has so many dogs and has 8 - 12 litters a year - are they in it for the love of the breed or the money. :shades:

To compound the above I have met a well known breeder who's love of cocker spaniels and the breed was wonderful - sadly he his no longer with us.  His knowledge and understanding was so geniune.

Good luck and hope you find your new friend
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Jaysmumagain, thanks for your reply. It is a minefield. As someone who has no knowledge of showing or what's involved it seems odd to me that you would rehome a dog after it's finished breeding. Having said that I'd have no problem taking an older dog. I did myself get a springer from a lady who was going to show her but at six months it was obvious she wouldn't meet the standards, but she was a perfectly lovely dog and we were lucky to have her for 12 years. The lady herself was upset to see her go but I guess there's a limit to how many dogs you can keep if you show.  Instincts are the way to go I think.  ;)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »
have you contacted the lady in case she can give some advice  - she may know of someone.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed