Author Topic: Hypothetical Corona virus question  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Ladys tramp

Hypothetical Corona virus question
« on: March 08, 2020, 10:05:41 PM »
How you cope if you had to self isolate.
How would you keep your cockers occupied and happy?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Hypothetical Corona virus question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:21:38 AM »
Oh dear yes, a question we‘re probably all trying to avoid thinking about!  :lol2:
We‘re lucky enough to have a garden so that going outside wouldn‘t be a problem, I suppose alternatively you‘d have to call in help from someone who could walk the dog for you. As for keeping them occupied, I‘d use the time to maybe try and train a few things, (currently trying to get him to put his toys in the box but he just sits looking at me as if I‘ve gone completely nuts! :huh:), sniffing games, (loads of ideas online).
I think my (and probably Humphrey‘s) biggest worry would be running out of dog food!  :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »
We have a large back garden so that would keep Ollie active - certainly when you throw his toys too.
Like Jayne says I think Ollie would be more concerned if he had no food........

Take care and keep safe
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
Honestly never thought about it, but I live in the same house as someone who is immunocompromised so my worry would be where to go, as me staying here would not be safe for them. Are there guidelines for home quarantine? I'm guessing if you put on a mask and stay away from people you could walk the dog without putting others at risk? At least far enough so the dog can go to the toilet, unless you live in a city centre with people everywhere. Keeping the dogs from getting bored at home should be possible. Nosework, trick/obedience training, treat toys....Having to use their brains usually tire out cockers quicker than physical work  :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:41:24 AM »
I live right next to a large park and one field is really muddy and so often I am only one there as everyone takes the paths but with 4 hoolies it makes sense for me to take them there sometimes as I never meet anyone most days there as people are more concerned about mud
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 11:42:36 AM »
I live it Italy and we are currently in lockdown. I know it’s slightly different to being in self isolation as the original question but...

We are still allowed to go out and walk our dogs, it’s one of the very few things people are still allowed to do, along with going out to the food shops & pharmacies providing we keep 1m distance from others.

It’s all very surreal at the moment to be honest here!!

Hope you guys manage to avoid the same situation as we are in here.

Stay safe.x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
I live it Italy and we are currently in lockdown. I know it’s slightly different to being in self isolation as the original question but...

We are still allowed to go out and walk our dogs, it’s one of the very few things people are still allowed to do, along with going out to the food shops & pharmacies providing we keep 1m distance from others.

Stay safe.x

Hope things will get back to normal for you in Italy soon, a very dramatic situation for everyone I imagine! All the best, stay safe!

Offline linda c

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
I live in a small village near a river and we have lots of fields. As I’m retired luckily there isn’t anyone about  when I walk so could take Java out for his usual walks. Except weekends when we seem to get lots of people and dogs come. I’ve ordered extra food for him just in case there’s any problems so hopefully we’d be ok  :D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

Stay safe.x

Iona - thinking of you - it is a scary time and must be a nightmare for you.
Stay safe and hugs to your cocker baby.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »
Tesco are now limiting dog food to one bag per customer

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
We're very rural and have beaches and woods to walk in, so lucky there. I did read that the poor Italians holed up in their apartments are dog sharing in order to legitimately get out for a walk - the dogs of Italy are exhausted and have shorter legs  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
We're very rural and have beaches and woods to walk in, so lucky there. I did read that the poor Italians holed up in their apartments are dog sharing in order to legitimately get out for a walk - the dogs of Italy are exhausted and have shorter legs  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan

:lol2: :lol2:

Sadly, the opposite is happening here, people are dumping their dogs in dog homes because of rumours that pets transmit the virus! 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »

Lesley and Dylan

:lol2: :lol2:

Sadly, the opposite is happening here, people are dumping their dogs in dog homes because of rumours that pets transmit the virus!

Oh that's awful!!!!! Fake news  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline IonaD

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:34:41 AM »
That really is awful!! If only people made sure they were properly informed before making these crazy decisions!!

On another note a friend of mine asked if she could borrow Bella to go out for a walk!! The police don’t stop you when you are out with a dog as it’s a legitimate reason to be outside and one of the few reasons you are allowed out and about by the government.

Hope everyone is well and staying safe!!

x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »
yes sadly more dogs will be pts too as nowhere to go. Our rescue trying to save as many as they can. Four paws managed to save 2 yesterday just before they were pts.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!