Author Topic: Exercise during lockdown?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline IonaD

Exercise during lockdown?
« on: April 08, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all staying safe and well?

We are on week 5 of lockdown here in Italy. Last week they have restricted our movements to only being allowed to walk the dog within 200m of where you live. We live in an apartment but we can walk Bella in a nice enough loop that sees us being able to take her off the lead and on a little bit of grass. We do this 3 times a day plus weed outside when needed.

Problem I have is that it isn’t exactly exciting for her and she doesn’t really get to stretch her legs. We have an area outside our apartment that means I can hide treats safely (no cars or people) and she can play search.

I guess I’m asking for any hints, tips or advice to tire out the doggo during these very strange times? We are using the kong and playing games in the house but I wanted to do more for her outside if we can.

Any advice us more than welcome.

Thank you I’m advance as always.

xx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Exercise during lockdown?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
I feel for you and all the others in the same situation and I‘m just so grateful that Humphrey‘s exercise routine hasn‘t been too restricted.
Have you done any retrieving with Bella? I started with Humphrey using dummies (if shops are open and you can get a food dummy, all the better but not essential, just make sure you reward when she brings it to you). Instead of throwing it for her to chase, make her sit and wait while you place it somewhere and then send her off to fetch it. You can then progress by laying out more dummies (I made some out of some old jeans material and stuffed with foam, but there again you can improvise), so she brings you the first and then send her off to get the others. You can also walk with her, drop some on the way (but don‘t allow her to stop) and then stop and send her back to pick them up - that way she‘s running backwards and forwards (while you can stand still :lol2:). Another variation is to make her sit, walk away and place the dummy down then walk in the other direction so that you, bella and the dummy form a triangle. She‘ll be aching to fetch  the dummy but call her to you first, then send her to fetch the dummy. All these exercises also help discipline and impulse control and are a good way of exercising in limited space. Once you‘ve started you‘ll find all sorts of ways to vary it. Do hope some of the restrictions can be lifted soon! Stay safe!!
[hope I explained them ok? If not, please ask - I‘d never have made a teacher!!  :005:)

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
Hey,

I think I get it!! Shops aren’t selling pet toys at the moment as they are considered non essential so I think I may need to get creative with a pair of jeans I think.

Thank you for the idea. There are a series of low benches near where we walk so I’ve been getting her to do some basic agility. Up, down, under etc. If food is involved she will do anything!!

Stay safe in Germany!! Hopefully we will come out the other side of this soon enough.x

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 02:02:36 PM »
Maybe this is an obvious/boring suggestion. But how about putting some obedience training or trick training into the walks? Teaching verbal commands for left and right, heeling, circling around you, backing up, circling obstacles forwards and backwards. Simple stuff like that can make a short walk more challenging maybe?  For using the muscles, balancing on stuff could be an idea. Similar to what you do with the benches. Maybe there's a low wall or something that can be used. Learning hindleg awareness is something I always mean to train, but never do. I'm guessing that will work the muscles even if it is not the same as running. Oh and I saw a tutorial for teaching the dog to jump into your arms from the floor, that looked like fun and doesn't require much space   :D Old fleece blankets are also good for making toys out of. Cut them into long strips and braid them, then braid the braids, you'll end up with a nice tug toy which is great for rewarding during training.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »
Not obvious or boring at all!!

Bella never mastered the heel so maybe now is a good time to teach her!!

Love all these suggestions. Got some funny looks from the police this morning as I had her jumping up and down off benches so will definitely try and include some more bits and pieces as we go.

Thank you.x

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
I made a flirt pole for Dylan, he loved that, al yoU need is a pole about six feet long, a long piece of rope and something your dog likes (in Dylan's case it's a tea towel  :005:) to tie on the end of the rope. Assemble like a swingball and wear your dog out.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo