Author Topic: Things that annoy you beyond reason...  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Barry H

Things that annoy you beyond reason...
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:40:02 AM »
Thoughts prompted by Mari's 'Favourite quirks' thread and a recent thread on Pisontheads (car forum - I'm not a car nut but some of the threads are hilarious and I'm always up for a laugh...)

So, we all love our Cockers to bits.  None are perfect and the good will always outweigh the bad, but what are the things that really get on your t*ts?

I'll start with Jack (yes, I know it could all be a lot worse...)

-  Peeing on his long line.
-  Barking at something when I'm on the point of having a doze
-  Having a drink (like filling up a tanker) then always has a shake.  Goes everywhere.
-  He thinks he's a Bloodhound.  Can happily sniff one blade of grass for ages (seems like longer!)
-  Despite being a show-type Cocker and handstripped/groomed every day he still looks like a scruff
-  Buying expensive treats and he turns his nose up (don't buy 'em any more!)
-  Walks ten yards in the squat and then does an about turn for another ten yards before having a poo - usually at the edge of the verge nearest a busy road (if he's on a lead)
-  Going out for an hour off-lead, getting home and he does another poo on the front lawn (not often, but still...)

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Things that annoy you beyond reason...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
Oh I can relate to quite a few of those!  :lol2: - particularly the last one!
Most annoying and will probably be the death of me, is trying to beat me to the bottom of the cellar steps.
Walking directly in front of me and then stopping abruptly for a sniff!
Plonking himself down on the patch of weeds I‘m trying to pull out.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
We keep a watering-can full of a dog-safe disinfectant solution by the back door to wash over where the boys have peed in their yard. Morgan persists in peeing on the outside of the watering can, how am I supposed to wash that away?
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
Digging! Digging in furniture because she can't find a comfy spot (aka the sofa is not lumpy enough).
Related is the fun new habit of scratching loudly at the laminate flooring when she wants attention. She's allowed on the sofa and always welcome, why can she not just jump up and "tell me" rather than make noise in a corner and look sad.
Also digging up moss and soil and eating it. An expensive prescription diet with fancy supplements and several snacks throughout the day apparently not measuring up to the gourmet meal that is a chunk of moss?

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 06:01:27 PM »
Walking directly in front of me and then stopping abruptly for a sniff!
Ha!  Good grief.  How could I have forgotten that one!?  One of these days I just know I'm going to come a right cropper...

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 08:25:28 PM »
These are brilliant  :005:
Most of the above plus if we are out and I call Harry to go back on the lead he can go from bouncing around like a nutter to walking towards me in slow motion with his head down looking as if I regularly beat him  ph34r its so embarresing I want to say to people he has barely had a cross word in 10 years, his every wish is my command and still he manages to look downcast and mistreated! I think he has twigged that I hate it when he does that call him in a jolly voice and give him a bisuit, talk about milking it  :005:

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »
Our Gemma can count. She is banished from watching me  pick up poop bags for the walk. If she is watching, on my life she will poop one more time than I have bags for. Hence by habit I carry enough to supply the neighbourhood if required. She always saves one poop until we get to the slopping lakeside bank. Not steep for 4 paws although she has had a close wobble but a nightmare for 2 feet who has had many to close wobbles  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »
Our Gemma can count. She is banished from watching me  pick up poop bags for the walk. If she is watching, on my life she will poop one more time than I have bags for. Hence by habit I carry enough to supply the neighbourhood if required. She always saves one poop until we get to the slopping lakeside bank. Not steep for 4 paws although she has had a close wobble but a nightmare for 2 feet who has had many to close wobbles  :luv:

:rofl1:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »
Jasper gets far too excited over the idea of a walk (along with Stella) so I have to shut them out of main part of house - he barks incessantly and doesn't have an off button (its like an obsession to him) - its so bad I can't think. Have tried working on it but he's that sort of dog, hyper. Oh and he chews through leads at a rate of knots - I can turn my head on way to walk and he's so excited he's chewed through lead or another of my dogs' leads. I once stopped to chat to someone well into a walk but both dogs were onlead and unbeknownst to me he'd chewed Stella's brand new lead and she was no wandering across the road. I love this dog to bits though despite my lack of leads now and going deaf
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline theshrew

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 02:17:03 AM »
Oh hell yes Barry

I'm also a Pistonheads member, actually i don't really frequent forums much theses days as i actually have to do some work now. Some absolute gold on there for very funny and interesting stuff.

Anyway back to the question. Were currently looking for a new dog and have been since mid Feb this year. This time we've been looking to re home a dog rather than a pup. Were not dead set on breed but ideally looking for a Cocker, Springer, Lab or Golden, If something else pops up that tugs the heartstrings then we'd be interested.

Sounds like an easy task.............iv'e never spent so much time looking on the web. We must have applied for best part of 100 dogs so far not even a sniff of a look in. Basically weve spent most of the year looking for a dog. 

So my thing at the moment that annoys me beyond reason is my Mrs asking if ive had a reply yet. FML every 5 mins when we apply  >:(

Offline Barry H

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »
Not actually a PH member but from time to time it's the best place on the Internet to chill out with a G&T and have a few chuckles.

Example: 
Author:  Kevin Greaves
Monday 11 June 2020

Hello, I'm Kevin Greaves. 
I'm new here.
Cheers,
Kevin Greaves

Reply:
We know your name is Kevin Greaves because it says it along with every post you make, therefore there is no need to sign off each post as "Kevin Greaves"

Reply:
I'm Spartacus

Reply:
Guys, lay off Kevin Greaves, Kevin Greaves doesn't need this sort of aggro on Kevin Greaves first ever post.

Etc. Etc. for 10+ pages...

Yes, schoolboy humour, but lightens the mood.  Very occasionally I'll read something that's so funny I'm in danger of doing myself a serious injury!

Good luck with the pooch hunting...

Offline juju

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »
Izzy has decided, over the last few months, that every spaniel needs a pet and has taken to bringing in a snail at bedtime. When I go to offer the princess a bedtime biscuit I get “the look” and the snail is placed firmly between madam’s paws. I have only ever found a snail the next morning on three occasions. The first time I stepped backwards onto one. The second time the snail had travelled the length of the ceiling. I think it must have crossed the floor and then climbed up the wall as I also found several short black hairs under it! The third one was on the ceiling above Izzy’s bed.....did it fly?!

Offline terl

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »
By comparison Messi is not to annoying! Main one are:

1) Pooing in front of people's drives. I always clean up but it still feels awkward!

2) Gobbling down any squashed birds that he stumbles upon.

3) Back to pooing! sometimes he repeatedly squats trying to squeeze the last bit out. Invariably there is nothing there but I still have to pretend I am picking something up for fear of the poo-bag police shouting at me.

4) when you nod of in the armchair and you squeeze an eye open and see him  sitting there wanting your attention - you know you just cant go back to sleep.

Apart form that he is perfect!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »

3) Back to pooing! sometimes he repeatedly squats trying to squeeze the last bit out. Invariably there is nothing there but I still have to pretend I am picking something up for fear of the poo-bag police shouting at me.

4) when you nod of in the armchair and you squeeze an eye open and see him  sitting there wanting your attention - you know you just cant go back to sleep.

Apart form that he is perfect!

Ha ha, I recognise those two so well!  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 04:03:17 PM »
Salty ......
Currently Number One (out of a list of many) is ..

At walk time, hassling me to go out, nose nuzzles, barking, doey eyes, nipping my ankles, being a general PITA etc etc
As I get up and go to get his lead he roars off and hides under the sofa (with manic great scrabbling as he hardly fits under there now) or runs round and round barking so that I cant get him
I dont 'play ball' but go and sit down again until he comes and hassles me again
and so the cycle continues

I've tried all manner of angles of attacks, treats, waiting patiently (outwardly) at the lead, etc etc etc but he is always one step ahead of me since I cant let it turn into a game
His harness is a Perfect Fit one - very comfy

I mean the walk is for him, he wants to go, but then he runs off - to avoid the walk?

I am trying to avoid getting into his head as I think it may well be a scary place  :lol2: