Author Topic: Why Did You Get A Cocker Spaniel?  (Read 5830 times)

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Why Did You Get A Cocker Spaniel?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 06:53:39 AM »
Oh what a lovely story, I‘ve welled up reading that! I can quite see why Bonnie won your heart (apart from those stunning looks ofcourse!! ;)) . What a piece of luck that the original bidder turned her down (well there‘s no accounting for taste - or sense!), definately a question of karma I‘d say!!  :luv:
We all love updates on Bonnie, so keep them coming, - she really is a special little lady who‘s obviously doing a brilliant job!! All the best to all 3 of you and thanks for sharing her story!!  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »
Bonnie's story should come with a sniffle alert, she was meant for you.  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
Well as a child I had a Cairn then 2 Westies....then along came hubby and was not keen on my then Robbie - feeling was mutual, but tolerance and love grew  ;) after we lost Robbie - we both decided to wait a while, one day we were walking and as usual a westie brought a flood of tears...hubby said a little later that the dog ahead was nice and a bit bigger than a Westie ( have a slight memory that OH had mentioned a German Shepherd which had reduced me to tears) thinking we were getting better at the size I told him it was a Cocker Spaniel and he said those immortal words - why don't we look for one of those.
On the Monday lunchtime I rang the Kennel Club asking for advice and was given the local Cocker Spaniel Club Secretary.  I was to say the least quite taken back when the number given was local :shades:.  A phone call later and a few wobbly teary moments the lady had given me the name of a breeder.  Breeder phoned and told she had two black 5 week puppies we could view.  At 7pm we were sat in her kitchen with Mum and pups.............she then mentioned she a a 4mth golden that she had kept back as a possible show dog...but didn't think his stance would be right so in bounces  Jay, he stuck to me like velco and the black puppies were right out of the picture.
Thursday teatime our bouncy boy game home and into our lives.
About 2 years back I went to the local breeders show and spoke with the chairman and mentioned the breeder, he remembered her and we had a lovely chat.
old friend in the States had an American Cocker called Dudley who I adored, but never thought of one for myself.
So a Sunday afternoon walk brought a Cocker Spaniel into my life and that was it- plus as ejp says never one to miss an opportunity I rushed ahead.
Jay and now Ollie are such different characters but once a cocker always a cocker.
Hubby adored Jay and Ollie is his boy..... 

I just had to share this from my walk today!!
I posted this back in July - I was walking with Ollie today when a lady approached with 4 lovely cocker spaniels we got talking and I soon realized who she was, the lady I had spoken to 20 odd years before, who was the secretary of the cocker spaniel club then.....small cocker world isn't it.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Statler

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
i thought it would make a nice change from the labs i had, a nice docile low energy show cocker, couldnt have been more wrong, didnt know they came in 2 sorts, placid and mental obviously i didnt get the placid one  :lol2:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 07:07:34 PM »
i thought it would make a nice change from the labs i had, a nice docile low energy show cocker, couldnt have been more wrong, didnt know they came in 2 sorts, placid and mental obviously i didnt get the placid one  :lol2:
I have one of those Muffin is our third show cocker though I don’t think he knows he is a show cocker that is meant to be slower.  I do agility with him and we have just started to compete this year, also fun dog classes and we have done a one day scent work course and another one booked in September. He is 21/2 and certainly keeps me on my toes.

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »
Had a Yorkshire terriers growing up, I always wanted a Border Collie having had one when I was younger before.
When I moved out I finally got my Collie 15 months after my daughter was born!
Moved again and years later Paisley turning 2 I knew she needed a friend and my daughter (then 3) saw an image of Cocker puppies and said she wanted one, having looked into them I decided that they were right for my family, I needed a dog with high energy because of my Collie, contacting a lovely breeder I fell in love with the little girl black with a bit of white on her snout and white chest. And thank gosh she was available! And the only one left too! She was meant to be with us I think, she adores my daughter and we are constantly out on walks off lead everywhere. She’s amazing [emoji3526]
Emily is now 4, Paisley the Collie is now 3 and Poppy the Cocker is now 1. They’re my girls. It’s a proper mad house here now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »

Your Poppy is so much like mine!  18 months old and also the last one left of the litter. We went for a Cocker this time round as whilst our Springer is beautiful and really good off lead, he pulls like a trooper once you put a lead on him and I didn’t think my arm would tolerate two of those  :005: but we wanted a dog with similar traits. 

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
So they are! And I can see they also love water! Poppy even loves going for long walks in the rain!
Yeah my Collie pulls on the lead but brilliant when off! Needed another high energy dog to keep up with her too! Paisley is ball mad though, whereas Poppy will just run and chase the birds! [emoji2360]
I actually think Poppy May have more energy! She’s constantly on the go so much so keeping weight on her at the start was a nightmare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
Whilst my Poppy will paddle in any river she isn’t that keen on swimming and even less on the rain.  She really would go out in a Mac and wellies in drizzle given the opportunity yet I thought I was going to loose her in a river the other day when she saw a pheasant the other side. The water was way too fast for her and she was only off lead as she is so careful about entering water but one look at the pheasant and she jumped in.  Luckily she managed to jump straight out again and I’m not sure who was more shocked, me or her. Lol.