Author Topic: Christmas tree  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Ladys tramp

Christmas tree
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
Our wcs lady it getting obsessed with the baubles on the Christmas tree. A split seconds inattention and she takes one and trys to hide under the table. She doesn't chew them and gives them up straight away. She had quite a collection last night. Only noticed when the bottom of the tree was bare. Anyone else having similar problems?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »
First of all welcome to the board.

I have a small tree which sits on the top of the music unit so that the dogs cannot get to it, so not had this problem.

Do be careful if she makes a habit of this, especially if some of the decorations are glass or very thin plastic, they could easily shatter if she did decide to take a taste of them out of interest or she is bored.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
She has plenty to keep her occupied. And her best budy tramp. He is so laid back we sometimes wonder if he is a cocker. I think it's just curiosity because she hasn't done it today. Shes not a chewer so we are lucky in that respect. She also doesn't take socks which we have learnt from here is a common cocker mischief.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »
She has plenty to keep her occupied. And her best budy tramp. He is so laid back we sometimes wonder if he is a cocker. I think it's just curiosity because she hasn't done it today. Shes not a chewer so we are lucky in that respect. She also doesn't take socks which we have learnt from here is a common cocker mischief.

Doesn‘t take socks??????  :o. Hang on to her, she‘s a real rarity and possible VERY valuable!!!  :005: :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »

Doesn‘t take socks??????  :o. Hang on to her, she‘s a real rarity and possible VERY valuable!!!  :005: :005:

Got to agree 12 years old and Ollie is still on sock patrol 24/7, Lady is a rare find :luv: :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
Morgan is a terror at bauble snatching and wrecking >:D We usually decorate the upper half only which looks odd but it's safer for him although we still make sure that the lowest baubles aren't glass.
We discovered by chance that if one of the armchairs is positioned close to the tree then he's less likely to attack it for some reason but we take no chances and he's never allowed in the living room by himself once the tree goes up. He'll be 12 next Summer, you'd have thought he would have learned a bit of wisdom with age  :005:
Hugo by contrast is a perfect angel  :angel: he'll be 6 next week and has never stolen anything at all  :luv:

To be honest our biggest worry has always been that they'll regard the tree as an indoor toilet  :fear2: but so far so good  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »
I know some people fence in the tree the first Christmas with the dog. Just so the dog gets used to it being there without having the opportunity to steal from it and make bad habits. It could be worth a try to just have the tree visible but out of reach for the rest of the season like you would with a puppy. It can quickly become a fun "game" to steal and hide baubles or have you chase after them. The behaviour should in theory stop if the tree becomes a boring object the dog cannot interact with, and then next year maybe the fence can go. I had a couple of cheap compost fence units to protect the tree if the dog was unsupervised around it her first Christmas with a tree. But I barely had to use them at all, my cocker has always been good with the tree, only exception was the year I used real fir-cones, but we play with those outside so I can understand the confusion. Socks however are never safe  :005:

https://youtu.be/oOCybWL3f_U

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
 :luv: :luv:

Offline Barry H

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 09:00:08 AM »
No, don't have this problem due to me being a miserable old git and not having a tree/decorations.  Christmas is a PITA and the sooner this madness and NY is over the better!

Bah, humbug!

Offline Darwin

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »
Thankfully Darwin has never shown any interest in the Christmas tree, yet I do make sure there is nothing breakable on the lowest branches incase of him using his tail remove the decorations.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »
No, don't have this problem due to me being a miserable old git and not having a tree/decorations.  Christmas is a PITA and the sooner this madness and NY is over the better!

Bah, humbug!

I’m with you all the way! LOATHE Christmas. (But I have a small tree and some lights in the window because my harp pupils seem to like that sort of thing.   :dunno: