Author Topic: Would you be put off  (Read 1792 times)

Offline sallyjack

• Site Member
Would you be put off
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:17:35 PM »
If you were offered a solid colour cocker such as a golden?
I have been reading a lot on cocker rage and was wondering whether it would deter anyone from having say a golden.
I am looking for a cocker to fit in with my two boxers and although blue roan is my fav if the right dog came along I would not want to be put off just because of colour.
Has anyone any advice on this please?
Thanks
Sally                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Would you be put off
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 01:08:55 PM »
Hi Sally,
I wouldn't be put off by having a gold one if you are offered one.  Problems of aggression can be just as bad in the solid blacks and even in some particolours.  Just be aware of the problems that can occur and you will be fine.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Would you be put off
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 01:13:29 PM »
Would I be put off?

:D In a word.....no!  :D

That's not necessarily true.  It depends where it's come from and under what circumstances you've been offered it.  If you phone up looking for a blue and they try to persuade you to have a red/gold I'd be suspicious  :?  A lot of reputable breeders will have waiting lists and will not just have a gold dog 'going spare' so to speak.  

As for rage, you'll find plenty info on the subject here http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/

and here is a recent thread on the subject

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=4006

Hope this helps

Shirley  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Would you be put off
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 01:19:09 PM »
I agree with Linda - you shouldn't be deterred from rehoming a gold/red if you were lucky enough to be offered one. Whatever the colour you might be offered, you'd need to know that the dog had a good temperament and importantly for you, gets on well with other dogs.  That's why it would be better to rehome from a Rescue centre or Rescue organisation where dogs up for rehoming have been assessed and temperament tested as far as possible. Of course some lovely dogs are also offered for rehoming privately by their owners but sometimes owners are not entirely honest about their reasons for rehoming, something you need to be aware of.                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

Would you be put off
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »
Idle curiosity SallyJack you haven't been offered one by Dasha have you?                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Would you be put off
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »
Not at all. A solid gold was my preferred colour, but we ended up with an orange roan instead. We are delighted with him, but I love golds too.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline sallyjack

• Site Member
Would you be put off
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 02:36:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Shirley your baby is absolutely gorgeous.
My concern is if the dog came through rescue you would obviously not get to know who the breeder was.
I would not be looking to get a pup,I would like something older.

Thanks
Sally                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Would you be put off
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 03:33:56 PM »

My concern is if the dog came through rescue you would obviously not get to know who the breeder was.

Most older dogs are not rehomed via breeders so this will always be the case. Even with private rehomes you will not necessarily find out who the breeder is - you'd be surprised by how many people have forgotten completely where they bought their puppy from or have lost the paperwork!                    
Jane

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Would you be put off
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 08:36:15 PM »

Hi Sally

As Jane says, you will rarely know the breeder of a cocker dog from a rescue.  Most cockers are in rescue through no fault of their own.  Most of those with behavioural problems (not rage) are often due to their past living conditions - lack of exercise, attention, etc.  

Many, if not most,  are rehomed because the owners have changed working hours and suddenly find their cocker is noisy and/or destructive when left for a long period.  In most cases IMO, this separation anxiety is cured by a new owner not leaving the dog for a long time.  All my so-called separation anxiety rescues are fine with me and can be left for a reasonable amount of time without a care in the world!

Rage is very rare.  I have known only one rage dog personally (a beautiful solid gold rehomed by my parents), but I am unusual for knowing even one.  Most owners will never come across rage.

Helen                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Would you be put off
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 12:10:45 AM »
Hi Sally  :)
We had a thread about this last week as a few people (not experienced people, just people in general) warned me against golden cockers when I said I was getting Toby.
Toby was assessed in the rescue centre, and I totally agree with Jane that this is the best way to go about it, but then I know you would anyway!
Put it this way, my children are young (but all three are very used to and good with dogs) and the rescue were very happy to send Toby my way, they described him as "trustworthy with all children" and so far that's been very true.
He has shown no sign of aggression whatsoever, he is one of the most soppy dogs you could imagine. He is quite calm considering his age and he spends a large amount of time collapsed over my three year old son's lap sleepily. I imagine his breeder was NOT very reputable as he gave Toby as payment to someone he owed money to!! Which doesn't sound very responsible really  :(
I would not be put off if I were you.
In a way it's probably safer taking a solid cocker from a rescue than it is taking a pup from a puppy farm or other unresponsible source (where many rescue cockers probably began their lives :cry: ) because you know what you're getting with an adult dog who has been assessed at the rescue by experienced people. I get the impression that in most cases, rage begins during the first year of life and sometimes even in early puppyhood (correct me if I'm wrong Linda?).
I also get the impression it's rare, even in solids.
Have you been offered one? Or is this just theoretical?  :wink:
Kelly x                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Would you be put off
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 09:50:26 AM »
Went to pick my daughter up from after school club yesterday, the owner was there with her 4 year old golden cocker, now this club is held within a nursery and the children range from 6 weeks to 11 years. What a total angel she was very gentle with all the children and loving the attention :) Now the owner also has a blue roan of the same age but she said she wouldn't bring her in as she is to excitable.  My point is that each dog is individual and I wouldn't write off a dog just because of his colour.

Michelle