Author Topic: Would this be cruel?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Would this be cruel?
« on: March 06, 2004, 01:52:24 PM »
I had surgery three years ago to remove a prolapsed disk, and after experiencing more pain in the past month, I saw the doctor the other day. Basically, I'm seeing the neurosurgeon next week, and I may have to have more surgery.

I'm worried already as last time I took 2 weeks till I was up and about again, and now I have Indie. I can't walk him as he is still not great with pulling, and it could damage my back when it's early days. My MIL will help on some days, but not all, and my neighbour too a bit, though she's pregnant so I can't ask her to walk a pulling puppy. What I think I'm going to have to do is exercising him in the garden only, but I feel rotten for doing this.

I normally walk him about 6 times a day, for 15 minutes each time, and he enjoys it, will it be detrimental to him to miss that for 2 weeks?

My husband says he'll be fine, but I feel bad, of course I'm worrying about the dog when I'll be flat on my back for 2 weeks! :roll:

Or do you think I should get him walked professionally?

Any ideas welcome. I won't have much time to cure the pulling problem if I do have the surgery it will be done sooner (within the month) rather than later, as they delayed last time and it caused permanent nerve damage.

Shona :(                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Would this be cruel?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 02:19:20 PM »
Hi Shona,

I'm sure playing in the garden will be fine for 2 weeks.
He'll miss his walks for sure (I know that Millie is desperate to get out there and sniff around - she's been confined to quarters since we had Jenni! and also during her season)
But I'm sure with plenty of fetching the ball / rope / slipper in the back garden he'll be fine :)

Kelly
x                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

ziggy

Would this be cruel?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 03:20:13 PM »
hi shona,, i,m sure your dog will be fine,if not a bit disgruntled at the confusion of routine,,but you can,t help it sweety,,why don,t you see if a friend or neighbour could assist,your dog loves you and knows something is wrong,,i,m sure you are forgiven,and i know you are worrying,i wish you a speedy recovery,you could get him a treadmill,,only joking,x :lol:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Would this be cruel?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 04:19:01 PM »
Thanks Kelly, it's made me feel better to think  of it like a season, I suppose that happens for female dogs routinely,

cheers, Shona                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Would this be cruel?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 04:19:36 PM »
Thanks Ziggy, I'm  :lol:  at the treadmill idea!

Shona