Author Topic: micro chipping  (Read 1203 times)

ziggy

micro chipping
« on: March 12, 2004, 10:04:06 PM »
i was reading a dogs magazine and was alarmed to discover that if you microchip your dog and it gets lost,gets taken to the vets by someone else,you don,t necessarily get your dog back,it all depends on the vets discretion,is this the case,and why if you have your dog microchipped it doesn,t automatically make sense that you should be notified if someone finds them.i have read of owners who have had to pay offensive amounts of money to fight the courts to try and get their pet back,some have never got them back,,surely this is unfair :cry:                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
micro chipping
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 10:14:09 PM »
Hi Ziggy

Obviously i can't talk for the rest of the country, but  when ever a stray animal is bought in to work the first thing that we do is scan them.  If they are microchipped we check our data base to see if its a client and if not we then phone the national data base and they will contact the owner from there.  Only monday we reunited a cat wilth its owner.  I know that our local dog warden also works this way.  Please try not to panic, microchipping is still a very good way of identifing your pet and in this current day an age of dogs being stollen left right and centre one of the only ways to prove your ownership :)

Torie and Co x                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

ziggy

micro chipping
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 10:25:38 PM »
that,s very reassuring,,panic over,what happens though if someone has had your pet for several months before they take them to seek medical advice,do they have a claim on the dog ,,cat etc they might say they have grown attached to them,would you still inform the owner?and can we still get them back,,sorry to be a pain i just like to know,,you never know these things happen,,ziggy x :)                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
micro chipping
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 10:35:53 PM »
Hi Ziggy

Maybe i'm just like to think the best of people or maybe our clients are generally a good bunch :? .  But we almost on a daily basis have people phoning asking if someone has reported this or that pet missing as they have found one the first we say is to bring it via one of our surgeries and we will scan for a chip and i'm glad to say that nearly everyone does :D
I will say that we are always getting faxes from all over the country with pictures of missing animals we do keep these for reference as you just never know.  So if the worse does happen there are lost of people to help :)

Torie and co x                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

ziggy

micro chipping
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 10:42:52 PM »
thankyou sweety,,glad there are good people like you about,,keep up the good work,thanx for the reply ziggyx :wink:                    

Offline PennyB

micro chipping
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 11:12:02 PM »
There was a situation at the beginning of this year in South Wales where a dog went missing and someone found the dog and took them in without informing the dog warden etc. These people also microchipped the dog and claimed she now belonged to them. Police wouldn't intervene as they say it was a civil matter and were powerless to remove the dog from her 'new' owners. Local dog warden was furious with police and went round to see 'new' owners (as I think doglost UK who reported all this have a friendly solicitor on board) and told them that it was against the law (criminal) not to report a dog as found. Again police wouldn't help but dog warden got the dog back in the end (by turning up in the early hours of the morning before the family went to work (6 a.m.) and returned the dog back to her original owners!

I guess the moral of this tale is to get your dog microchipped in the 1st place and make sure you have a very good dog warden to hand!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

ziggy

micro chipping
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 11:30:49 PM »
ditto,yes having good wardens is certainly a blessing good for the bloke who re-united them all,,xx :D