Author Topic: Agility -Show Cockers?  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Josie81

Agility -Show Cockers?
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
Hi,

I am interested in getting my Show type Cocker into agility when he gets older (he is only 7-8 months now, so still too young) -but I am wondering if it is only Working Cockers that have any success in agility? My Alfie does have loads of energy and just loves to race around, as I guess is the case for all Cockers; I think that he would really enjoy burning off some energy doing some agility training and then competitions in the future.

Thanks in advance

Josie x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Agility -Show Cockers?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
The answer is yes :D

Not many agility people seem to post on here at the moment, but jackie14 has been very successful with one of her show Cockers, Mister George. I know others have too, but Jackie's is the only name that I could think of immediately.

I used to do agility with my now 9 year old show type, William. We had a great time and won a couple of classes and had a few places too. But most of our rosettes were for clear rounds as William was very accurate but not quick enough to win or get placed often. He is a medium agility dog and classes for medium dogs often have working collies and similar breeds in them, which are always going to be faster than a show Cocker. I'm not sure if some people are breeding collie type breeds smaller specifically to get into medium classes, which tend to be numerically a lot smaller than large dog sized classes but I have a suspicion that's what's happening nowadays ph34r

Working Cockers are generally faster than show types round an agility course, but don't let that stop you having a go. For me, agility was the best thing for building up a very strong, almost intuitive, bond with William :luv:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
I don't know about success but I am starting agility with my show cocker next week.  We have been doing some gundog training for fun and obedience work but she is too noisy and not interested enough in retrieving to ever work.  I spoke to her trainer last week about switching to agility and she thinks Pippa would make a good agility dog so we're going to give it a go.  I already do agility with my basset fauve.  He isn't really built for it but the trainer thinks even he could get to competition level but will obviously be trying to make up with accuracy what he lacks in speed.

It is great fun, so I would definitely give it a go with Alfie.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »
Just read Elaine's post.  Barney is in the small dog class and Pippa is roughly the same height so I am hoping she will come out as small too to give her more chance.

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
Hi Josie, yes I  do agility with all by show types, 2 now retired and my youngster just starting out, he's just over a year old now , sounds like you have already done quite a bit of basic work, the enthusiasm he shows will be in good stead when doing agility. There is also Aljeana, Maxx2, and Lindsey there are more than that, who also have show types.
 There are lots of clubs about, you can find one near you on agility net, some are easy to get in some you might have to wait for a place. so won't hurt to start looking now
I met Elaine at a show at Newbury  a few years back soon after I started competing
I've given you a link to Mr George's G5 Agility win, he measured  into medium height
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAPT5EGbRk&feature=share&list=FLcPttBbt39Cia09f9wWtvnQ
I love it and look forward to getting back on the circuit again
Jackie

Offline NicholaP

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »
Hi,

I am interested in getting my Show type Cocker into agility when he gets older (he is only 7-8 months now, so still too young) -but I am wondering if it is only Working Cockers that have any success in agility? My Alfie does have loads of energy and just loves to race around, as I guess is the case for all Cockers; I think that he would really enjoy burning off some energy doing some agility training and then competitions in the future.

Thanks in advance

Josie x

Hi,

I too am thinking of doing agility with Rory, he is show type too but only 6 months old at the mo, so too young to start. I'd love to be able to get to the stage where we can compete  :lol2:

I think I'm going to do some more obedience training with him first though in preparation.....I'm thinking of either doing KC Bronze and Silver, or some gun dog training as he loves to retrieve his large bird like toys. I did think about flyball, however, he shows 0% interest in tennis balls, or any other type for that matter  :shades:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:17 AM »
The best place to start looking for a club or trainer is AgilityNet http://www.agilitynet.com/. There's a link at the top of the home page for clubs and trainers.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
Working cockers definitely seem to be taking over the agility world  :banana: but show cockers do pretty well too.   I compete with both of mine, one is grade 5 & the other grade 6, Max will soon be 8 & I can't see him ever reaching the dizzy heights of grade 7, we still need 3 more wins & we don't have the speed against these medium collies

Some good clubs will have waiting lists so not a bad idea to start looking now.
I didn't start anything with Max until he was 2 & Harry was 1, but some clubs do foundation work for younger dogs, without using any equipment.
If I get to train a 3rd dog I will definitely do it different to how I did with M&H where the club basically just took the dogs over most of the equipment straight away, but not caring if they are accurate with contacts etc (that will mean something when you start  ;))

PS - It's like COL (addictive  :005:)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
I've been doing agility with indie since December and she loves it! Not sure if we'll compete but she flies round and is pretty accurate too. Excited for the future!! Definitely give it a go !

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
I do agility with mine though only Charlie competes. Spees is a great asset but accuracy and sometimes steadiness is as big a bonus.
Go for it - it is terrific fun and great for building up your rapport with your dog :luv:
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline black taz

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
Taz is a show cocker, currently grade 2 but we only started competing at KC last year.  He will be 6 this year, and is probably slower than he was a couple of years ago but his accuracy is much more consistent.

I am with Max X 2 - I would recommend if you want to compete, go to a club that trains for competition (rather than a "fun" club).  My next dog will definately be trained differently. ...... and it is definately addictive.

Offline Amus1

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
I've been doing agility with Flynn since January (aged 6/7 months NB no jumping- just foundation work.) although he is a worker type. And i still take my almost 10 yr old collie x training too.

We just do it for fun. One of the colubs we are still members at had a breeder of show cockers who took her dogs there. And took to it very well.

I think ANY dog regardless of breed/age can do agility at some level! It's really good fun whether competing or not and its really good to build a good strong bond with your dog. We love it!!!

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »
One thing I will ask- what size category does everyone's cockers go into? I measured indie today (not officially, just at home) and she's 38 cm to the withers ish. Which I think puts her in medium?!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
One thing I will ask- what size category does everyone's cockers go into? I measured indie today (not officially, just at home) and she's 38 cm to the withers ish. Which I think puts her in medium?!

Yes it does. William was in medium and was measured at 39cms. I think the majority of the show Cockers that compete are medium but a higher percentage of the workers are small.

Offline black taz

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »
most are medium.