Author Topic: Yippee - starting agility PS - Do you feed before a class?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: Yippee - starting agility PS - Do you feed before a class?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »
Bella's class in the summer is at 7pm so I don't give her any dinner, she has breakfast at 7am and then gets sausage as rewards during the class (her dinner is a teeny weeny meal anyway though).

In the winter the class is on Saturdays at midday, so she gets a slightly smaller breakfast and then the usual sausage in the class.

Good luck with the first class, don't worry if things go wrong and Max seems a bit worried at the start. I can still vividly remember poor Bella clinging on for dear life at the top of the A frame on her first few goes - these days she takes herself over it just for the hell of it. She was also terrified on the seesaw for months and months (she used to lie down as soon as it started to tilt  :luv:) but after about 8 months she finally got braver with it and now, although still a bit cautious, she does it all by herself and knows exactly when to slow down to get it to tilt slowly for her.

Let us know how you both get on - it's definitely about the dog for the first few weeks then suddenly they get it and you as the handler have to work out what you're meant to be doing, it's a big learning curve! Good luck!  :D

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Claire.
It went remarkably well - probably beginners luck & we'll be awful next week  :005:
It was me having problems with not enough hands for clicker & treats to be nearest jump each time  :o
He went straight through both the tunnel & the collapsable one, jumps he sometimes knocked down, but that was at the beginning when we were click&treating at every jump so not giving enough run at the next one I think.  He jumped off the A frame at first but when another trainer walked infront QUICKER he had no trouble, and he successfully did the weaves too.  To top it all his tail wagged constantly even whilst watching the others.  :luv:

I fed Max half of his breakfast but TBH I don't think it made the slightest bit of difference, he's so keen on food anyway.  ::)

There's been a slight change in plan after attending last nights obedience class where I originally enquired about their agility, which is only 5 miles away & was told that there was a waiting list of approx 20 & she had no idea of when we'd be able to start.

The trainers son, who adores Max & all spaniels (naturally) & makes a big fuss of him was laughing at how his nose is stuck to my hand (or the floor  >:D) constantly for food & commented that it's an advantage for agility, so I mentioned that we're on their waiting list & attended a class for the 1st time at the w/end & got on OK.  ;)

After the class the trainer remarked on what a lovely dog Max is, :luv: asked how old he is & said "you were interested in the agility weren't you?".  I said yes in fact I only mentioned earlier that we've done one class elsewhere as you've got a waiting list haven't you?
She said well we have but I could squeeze you in  :D  (after she'd asked details of where we went etc - of course she knew the other trainer, I guess they all do)

So we're trying this one on Sat. afternoon.  Shall probably feed Max his full breakfast as it will be 7 hours later! :-\

I was impressed with the class we attended last w/end so at least I can compare although it might make it awkward if I decide to attend the 1st class  :-\

She did say that it takes 6 weeks to train a dog & about 3 years to train us hoomans  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »
Sounds like he did great for his first attempt (and you too!). Bella used to get so excited at the start that she would stop in front of every single jump and bark at it very enthusiastically before going over  :lol: - the trainer used to say "well Bella if you're gonna bark at every single jump it's going to be a very slow round!".

She still gets very excited about the whole thing - she's the only non-collie in the class most weeks but she can give them a run for their money in terms of how closely she pays attention. The main problem I have with her is that she likes to work really close to me which can make some of the turns a bit tricky.

Your trainer is definitely right about training the hoomans though, there have been some classes where we've had a tricky set of turns to do and I'll get it wrong so we'll keep repeating the same bit of course. Bella very patiently does the obstacles but after about the 3rd attempt she just sits down while I'm talking to the trainer and she really gives me this "look, just pay attention to her okay?" expression, if she had fingers she'd be drumming them while she's waiting for me to understand what's needed  :lol:. Then as soon as we're ready we'll do that bit again and she's so happy when we (or I) finally get it right.  :D It's great as it really does feel like a joint effort.

Bella's tail starts wagging when we're about a mile away from the class in the car and doesn't stop till we leave the class - she loves it!  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk