Author Topic: YKC Events  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
YKC Events
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »
Lil'bit has joined the YKC, and although she knows we will not be able to go to all the events due to the cost/time of ferry travel, etc, I would like to pick a few that we can do together for her (and me) to look forward to  ;) When she is older, I expect we will be going to the annual YKC training camp, but until then, I would like to give her some experience  ;)

Any suggestions?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: YKC Events
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:39:18 PM »
No suggestions here but what a lovely idea for both of you.  :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »
Ask Becky/Sportsmonki as she's a member of YKC as well --- I saw her compete at Crufts this year with her cocker
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 11:24:53 PM »
Good luck Rachel and lil'bit  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:55:07 AM »
Dominic is also a member of YKC and he competed at Discover Dogs last November, which then qualified him for Crufts. If you can get over to London for Discover Dogs, it is great fun and if your daughter puts her name down when she first gets the information from YKC she will probably get a place.  We also put Suki in Prettiest Bitch - which although Dominic didn't handle her cos he was poorly that day, could have been done by a child. 
Whatever you do, enjoy it while it lasts - once children get older they may lose interest (Dominic still ok so far, but he is just about to turn 12 and I am not sure how much longer dogs will win out over friends!)
It has become our family hobby to go to fun and companion shows and Dominic really enjoys junior handling.  You can do it whether or not you are in YKC, but you get handy tips from the mag.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
Ollie is a member too, we plan on doing more events as he gets older but for the time being he is concentrating on training herbie which is quite difficult :005:
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
 :o Oppps i forgot to pay my subscription  ph34r  >:(
Better get it sent off.

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »
Rhys is also a member of the YKC he hasnt attended anything yet but hopes to in the future! We will look into discover dogs Penny!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:57:20 PM »
TY PennyB  :005:

Yes, I am a YKC member, but have only been a member for the previous 2 years.  However, on both occassions I had the great privelage of competing my dogs in YKC events at Crufts  :D,  (obedience with my spaniel and show handling with my collie...never managed to qualify her in obedience as she has a really bad stay problem!)  It's an amazing experience!

Here (hopefully) is a link to the KC website where you can find out a bit more about YKC http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/meet/young_kc.html  That will give you a link to the various activities YKC members can participate in.  You should also have been sent a pack with details of YKC events and activities when you joined, also info on qualifiers?  If you decide what activities you are interested in you may be able to find YKC members on here who can help.  If it obedience competition you are interested in  :shades: I have most experience in that, and would be very happy to answer any questions you may have (my collie works graduate...in her own special way!, and my cocker intermediate); my showing/handling experience is very limited.

Good Luck in whatever discipline you decide to pursue!