Author Topic: How do you train two dogs?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
How do you train two dogs?
« on: August 11, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »
I just wondered how other people managed to train two (or more  :shades:) dogs? I like to do bits of training with mine every day out on walks and at home  :angel:, but I'm struggling a bit. If I train one at home, I shut the other one in a different room. But as soon as that one hears the clicker, s/he goes crazy, barking, whining, scratching at the door etc :005: I always have to wait for OH to be around, so he can occupy the one not being trained. I also wondered if it's confusing for them on a walk if I use a clicker  :huh: - I've ordered a 'multi clicker', which makes slightly different sounds - has anyone used one of those?

Maybe the answer would be to always take them out separately, but tbh I sometimes just want to do a few minutes here or there, and wondered how best to manage? :lol:

Silkex

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: How do you train two dogs?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:37:48 PM »
This was one of the biggest considerations for me before we finally took the plunge and became a two dog family  ;)

I take Molo to agility twice a week, so he gets dedicated time there; I take them both out for a walk in the morning, but Bonnee gets an extra walk in the evening when I do some training with her :)   

OH, lil'bit and I are usually all at home together, so if I want to do five minutes clicker training with one of them (I am teaching Bonnee paw atm) then I ask either OH or lil'bit to keep Molo occupied  ;)  I could probably leave Molo indoors with a kong while I am training Bonnee in the garden, but I don't think she would settle if I did it the other way around, yet  ;)

A lot of our training is less formal though; I used mealtimes to teach them "wait", and when I am walking them together we do lots of recall work, as well as sitting at kerbs etc  ;)  "Bed" has been learnt by strategically tossing gravy bones  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:37:54 PM »
I have 3 and it is difficult to fit it in all the time but I walk them separately, that's the only way I can ensure they get adequate one on one training time. Alfie and Tilly have one walk on their own each day as well as one together and Rodaidh has two walks on his own (they all go on the morning walk). Alfie also goes to agility and the other two don't - Tilly cos she hates jumping and Rodaidh cos he's too young. Alfie has individual lessons with our gundog trainer as well as he needs the most work and Rodaidh may well have some as well if he needs them at a later stage. Tilly is trained so doesn't need to go to these.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »
I walk my 3 together in a morning, I also train Phoebe and Logan both together and individually on a daily basis.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:47:42 PM »
I have 3 and it is difficult to fit it in all the time but I walk them separately, that's the only way I can ensure they get adequate one on one training time. Alfie and Tilly have one walk on their own each day as well as one together and Rodaidh has two walks on his own (they all go on the morning walk). Alfie also goes to agility and the other two don't - Tilly cos she hates jumping and Rodaidh cos he's too young. Alfie has individual lessons with our gundog trainer as well as he needs the most work and Rodaidh may well have some as well if he needs them at a later stage. Tilly is trained so doesn't need to go to these.

Thats dedication for you!!  :angel: I reckon that up to be five walks a day that you go on! How do you find time for ANYTHING else!? Pls don't tell me you fit that all in around working full time coz that would make you wonderwoman!!  :005:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »
I struggle with this and don't do as much training as I would like, but I have found it is quite successful if I do training together, and then follow it up with short separate sessions (short mainly cos the other does go nuts knowing his mates being fed treats  ::))

I find that I can train them together by saying their name firmly before the command, swivelling my body so I am facing only the dog I'm talking to, and making sure there is enough space between them. This way, I can teach them either the same thing, or different commands to different dogs. I was surprised to find it worked but it does for us! They do learn quite a bit from watching each other, though, so I alawys follow itup with separate sessions to make sure they are understanding what I am asking, and not just mimicking each other.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:42:16 PM »

Thats dedication for you!!  :angel: I reckon that up to be five walks a day that you go on! How do you find time for ANYTHING else!? Pls don't tell me you fit that all in around working full time coz that would make you wonderwoman!!  :005:

I do work full time (unfortunately!) but I work from home so can make my hours flexible to suit me. Their morning walk is about 30 minutes at about 6-7am then Alfie and Tilly have their big walk and Rodaidh gets his second 35 minutes on his own at lunchtime and then individual sessions plus Rodaidh's 3rd walk are in the evenings (around 30 mins each). I am out with them 5 times a day most days but I enjoy it, particularly the training and also when Rodaidh is a bit older he won't need the individual lunchtime walk and he'll be able to come with the other two on their long walk so that will make things a bit easier.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 02:07:21 AM »
Bonnie I have always trained separately or in a class so she is used to other dogs but Ayla I handed over to my partner and am about to take back, other than the odd little bits here and there of basic obedience. All my other dogs I have done the same with take them away from the home environment and do training with them then or I have one crated whilst the other is doing puppy stuff like hide and seek or sit stays

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:56 AM »
My two get their first walk normally bout 9am which is a long one (approx an hour sometimes more depends on what else is happening in the day  ;) ) lots of recall training

Mid day they both get out in the paddock for a play of chuckitt together - then Jock gets put in and I do training with Fern (Jock gets a kong  ;) )  Then Fern gets a kong and I do a lil bit with Jock as he is pretty good being 8 yrs old  ;)

3pm ish they both get a lead walk and then Jock is put in the garden while I wait for the school bus and do some training with Fern on the footpath ( traffic as distractions and learning not to chase bikes etc  ::) )

6pm / 7pm another long walk (time actually depends on kids out of school clubs etc)  Sometimes I just take Fern on this walk if Jocks looking stiff, where I do a lot of lead and recall training with her

Then they get play time approx 9.30 / 10pm in the paddock again or another lead walk

Plus bits of other training throughout the day in the house, which they get together

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »
I'm glad to see it's not only me who is trying to juggle the training of the two dogs  :005:. It's not too bad, to be honest, on joint walks I say the name before a command, and they don't seem confused  :shades:, and asking OH to occupy one while I train the other works as well, I just have to wait for him to be around. ;) They do also go to separate training clubs/classes, so at least they get my total attention then for an hour. :angel: I sometimes take them out individually, but not as much as I'd like (or should ::) ).

Silkex

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »
We've split the training between us so I train Bella and Ali trains Zorro. We do little bits in the evening where we'll both go to separate rooms with them. But we also do little bits of training together (eg we're doing little bits of gundog training with Zorro but there's no harm Bella learning it and she can be a help - Zorro is a slow learner whereas Bella gets it very quickly, so I've just taught them the first bit of the "stop" whistle (sitting to the whistle) and taught them both at the same time).

I do stays with them out in the park and they just sit together for it, and whistle recalls.

Bella does agility once a week and Ali often brings Zorro along and they spend most of the time in the adjacent field doing little bits of gundog stuff (but no whistles otherwise she'd end up with Bella, 3 collies, 2 mini poodles and a King Charles all in there with her as well!  :lol:).
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:17 PM »
but no whistles otherwise she'd end up with Bella, 3 collies, 2 mini poodles and a King Charles all in there with her as well!

:rofl1: Just imagined the scene! :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 09:08:01 PM »
I have 5 dogs now 3 labs a cocker and a Jrt. The Labs are a doddle to train and could have a dozen, the JRT is a my first dog and a spoilt bratt although I love her and she is very clever, I put alot of training in with her and she will do what she is told most of the time (apart from barking)  >:(  my cocker well she is a sweetie but has to be trained on her own and walked alot on her own due to the fact she cant hear me because of the hair surrounding her ears  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:43:16 PM »
my cocker well she is a sweetie but has to be trained on her own and walked alot on her own due to the fact she cant hear me because of the hair surrounding her ears  :005:

:rofl1: :rofl1:  ahhh Sweepiedog  :luv:

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 11:04:41 PM »
Hmm good question - I havent replied so far as I wanted to see what everyone else did first  ph34r

We arnt a very good example tbh. I train both of mine at the same time......they did get separate training when they were younger by 2 of us but now they are 4 they dont get 'trained' as much.

As an example this is what we did in my lunchtime today!

I arrived home from at 12.40, let girlsout for a wee in driving rain. Didnt wana walk them in it as I had to return to work so decided to do a bit of training. I have never cracked 'Twirl' before so I had a mission. I always teach Jessie first cos she is easier and within 5 minutes she was twirling on command and even without the hand signal. All the time I was training Jessie (5 mins) I had Saffi in 4 stays.....a sit, a stand and 2 downs lol....

I then switched rolls and 20 minutes later Saffi could twil too. By this time Jessie was twirling for england as she only does stays for 5/8 minutes....so I then had them twirling together  :005:

I moved on then to telling them which one I wanted to twirl whilst making the other wait or do other command.

This worked OK....but isnt the usual method people adopt.

They can now both twirl on their own aswell as in each others company!

Janey

PS : tomorrow lunch is 'wave'.......a move on from high five lol