Author Topic: How long does your cocker run?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
How long does your cocker run?
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
I'm sorry if something like this has come up before  :embarassed:, but I'm just not sure how long I could build Charlie (my nearly two year old show-type cocker  :luv:) up to (in terms of running with me). He now comes twice a week, and I've built it up to about 20 - 30 mins. OH thinks that this kind of length is probably his limit, considering that he is quite small and has to canter to keep up. I go running for longer distances, though, and it would be nice to be able to take him further, but I'm worried of overdoing it with him.  :-\

How long do you take your cockers for (if you take them running, that is  :shades: ) - he is very fit, he walks for about 2 hours a day, mostly off lead.

Silkex

Offline nic_h

Re: How long does your cocker run?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
Sorry can't help you there as haven't tried running with Zack yet, but have thought I would start in the new year taking him when he's a year old.
I would have thought if you build up gradually the time you're out it would be fine... bit like us humans, always takes me a couple of months to get going again after having a break from running :005:
Nic, Zack and Mali xx

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
Run  :o  :005: Well I couldnt run the length of myself but sweepie could run for hours  :005:

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Run?  You must be joking.  A quick sprint, a sniff, another sprint, a lie down, check the view, sniff again.  (If she was a person, she'd be stopping every few minutes to check her nail varnish!!!).  Having just lost my working springer, who would run all day ( and night given the chance) I was so worried about madam here, even took her to the vet for a heart/lung check.  She could run 12 miles he said (on her own I thought!), as long as there is nothing wrong and we can do 2/3hour walks fine, I thought, but oh no - I have a lazy little moo, that's all there is to it.  Although she is on the go all day, we just don't do running!!! (Mind you, at my age, neither do I!!).

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:47 PM »
Running??  What - can us hoomans do that!!  No, I'm not built for running, a bit top heavy, ok ok, and bottom heavy and middle heavy!  I know Murphy would be a great running companion, but Maddi lacks the ability to even walk in a straight line she'd be in front of you and tripping you up!  So it's safer in this household if we stick to the fields and the spaniels do the running!
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »
We sometimes bump into a lovely blue roan who runs with their female owner around the castle but she's always running so haven't actually said anything other than "Morning" to her!  :005: Her cocker always says a quick hello to Chloe before being beckoned on though  :luv:

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »
I wish I could run! I dont think I have it in me :005: 

Offline sox

• Site Member
  • You don't have a life without a cocker
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »
I have attached a pedometer (The free one that you get with walkers crisps)  to my dogs collar and when I go out cycling he often runs along side me or takes off into the woods to chase things and just go cocker mad, I usually cycle 7 to 10 miles and when I check the pedometer Sox has done anything betrween 8 miles to 14 miles the longest run he had was just under 2 hours and I dont know how he did it but the mileage said 18 miles............................................ and he still wanted to go on for more!!!!!!!

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the comments. :D I still take him about twice a week for about 1/2 hour, and he seems absolutely fine.  :luv: I daren't take him for longer, in case it's too much for him. :police:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
I used to run with Trev when he was about 5 years old. He was tall for a cocker and megga fit and on the go all day but something about running at a constant pace did him in a bit  :D

I'd be guided by your dog and you'll know if he's enjoying it and ok or not  :luv:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline lopey99

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »
i recently bumped into a lady cycling along the tow path near my house who also had a black cocker with her. She stopped and adored cassie cause she reminded her so much of her dog when he was a puupy, she said she goes cycling along the river most days between 5 and 10 miles and he comes running along with her and he was 14!!! Gorgeous cocker (are there any which arent?) and quite cute that he was going grey in a few places  :luv: