Author Topic: tracking/agility  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
Re: tracking/agility
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »
I am so, so horrified that clicker trainers are behaving like that.... I was taught by Alex Kurland, the horse clicker trainer, who takes the soul and the spirit of clicker training - that everything is without fear and that we're building relationships  - and applies it to every moment of her life and every interaction, with the horses, their owners, the lady in the local shop, the blokes digging up the road.... everyone.

She's an inspiration and I try to follow her and had naively thought that all clicker trainers were the same.

sigh

very good luck.

if you haven't read 'Don't Shoot the Dog', now would be a good time.  Then anything at all by Jean Donaldson, but 'Culture Clash' is a good start, followed by her new one 'Oh, Behave!'

m
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
Re: tracking/agility
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »

if you haven't read 'Don't Shoot the Dog', now would be a good time.  Then anything at all by Jean Donaldson, but 'Culture Clash' is a good start, followed by her new one 'Oh, Behave!'

I'm just reading culture clash at the moment - really interesting stuff, and makes you think about our relationships with dogs too. 

Just tried down and wait in the kitchen with ellie -and put a piece of cheese near to her - she didnt touch it till I told her to.  :angel: I think it must be the distractions when we're  at training.  I think I'll try to do some when we're next at the park or on a walk to see if she does it then.  Still can't get those stupid people out of my head so I think I'm going to write a letter of complaint to the club secretary.  I think it will make me feel better