Author Topic: 60 weave pole challenge  (Read 1324 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
60 weave pole challenge
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
William and I went to the Cold Wet Nose Show yesterday, with friends Maria and Ruby the Retriever. After being rejects in the 4 fun classes we entered (handsome dog, Ear Ear, shining example and melting expression) we decided to do something livelier and entered the Agility Association 60 weave pole challenge. It consists of 60 weave poles (well it would, wouldn't it) with a jump at the start and another at the finish.

William is pretty good at his weaves, but only up to 12. We had 3 goes at it for our £3. The first time he came out of them after 12 (who says dogs can't count), the second time we got to 24 and the third time to 58. So close! I think we both got distracted by the jump at the end. I was delighted with him, he worked incredibly hard to stay focussed for that long. He was very pleased with himself too.

Going back to the fun classes, I know they're only fun and the outcome is the personal preference of the judge, but I struggled a bit when we kept getting chucked out. Wills was looking so handsome and had even had a bath and blow dry. His ears were particularly immaculate as were the ears of the other 2 Cockers in the Ear Ear class, but none of us were placed!

Never mind, it was a good day out and I know that I own the best dog in the world, so I don't really need rosettes to confirm it. Although they look so nice displayed on my rosette board.........

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: 60 weave pole challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
Well done William on such an impressive effort at the weaves.

I have entered one companion show and you can't help but be a little offended when they donb't pick your little darling hug......can't believe any other dog has better ears than a cocker though  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
well done William, 58 weaves a challange well done, but Elaine how did you keep up the command  for weaves for sooooo long, i,m out of breath after 12   :005: Did your friend video it for us?
Ellie came 1st in prettest bitch class today, because judge loved her face and ears ;)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
That sounds like some fun shows i went to. The judges always chose children. preferably with a Heinz 57 pooch. They think pedigrees have got their own shows.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
well done William, 58 weaves a challange well done, but Elaine how did you keep up the command  for weaves for sooooo long, i,m out of breath after 12   :005: Did your friend video it for us?
Ellie came 1st in prettest bitch class today, because judge loved her face and ears ;)
I try to say as little as possible after sending him into the weaves. When he's doing them nicely I say good boy quietly to praise him but not to disturb his concentration. If he gets too fast I say steady and he responds to that. Apart from that I try to make sure that I'm about 1 metre away from him and parallel with his hindquarters, so he can see me but I'm not crowding him or getting ahead of him.
When it comes to jumps I can send him on to something immediately in front of him using "go on", but he's not confident enough with his weaves to do them without me nearby.
Well done Ellie, she is very pretty and I'm sure deserved to win.