Author Topic: Agility - Teaching Left & Right?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Agility - Teaching Left & Right?
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
Hi,

I've started agility training with Roxy and Rio. They're only doing very low poles, tunnels, low planks etc at the moment. They're doing really well, but could do with teaching them left and right. They're SO fast, they get to the jump before I do and could know do with knowing where to go next when I am miles behind!  :005: My Cross Breed, Penny picked it up over the years by me yelling and pointing as I went round a course which I don't think was the best method  :005: With my collie I was told to teach her by spinning round one way for left and t'other for right, but this really didn't work - my very spinny collie just got more and more spinny and more and more dizzy!!  :005:

I have started by setting up some poles on the ground and directing them left and right and putting a command in, which I think Roxy maybe slowly getting, but Rio's a bit confused.

Are there any known, tried and tested techniques for Left and Right?

- Holly -

P.S - If Rosie (with Spice) is reading this, I tried out your measuring technique with Roxy (who is very borderline Small/Medium). I measured her before her walk and it was very tight, then I measured her after her walk, when she was tired and she fitted nicely under the measure. Amazing!  :D

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Re: Agility - Teaching Left & Right?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
...forgot to say, if any clicker methods for this, even better as they do pick things up much faster using one!

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »
no idea but we have started foundation agility and if anyone teches me it I'll pass it on!

Do you use food to guide them round or did you to start with? I use a treat in my hand which Rox gets at the end, however she is sometimes concentrating too much on the food and not what she is doing!

i don't think she will be as willing without it as she is very food motivated? Any ideas?

Offline workingcockerfan

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
I think there are loads of different ways, but none of them seemed to work for my Cavalier.  ::)

Then my instructor gave me a tip and it worked!  :D What I did was put two bowls either side of a jump, and then put Jaz in a sit and wait before the jump. Then I put a treat in one of the bowls, and sent her over. As she went over and went to the bowl, I shouted the command left/right. I did this until she picked up on it and then I removed the bowls and just went round and treated. Because I'd been working on my hand signals, I could then just send her over using left/right with the hand signal and she'd go.

This might be a really rubbish way - but it worked for me!  :005:

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
thats a really great idea and i could see how it would work

However!! Roxy will sit and wait at jumps but with a treat dropped in a bowl that would be different matter!!

I'd have to practice her leaving the treat first!

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »
There's a section on this in 'Excel-erated learning' which is mostly clicker-oriented.

In it, they say that all studies done say it's far, far easier to teach 'left' (or right- one or other side) and get it solid and only then teach the other side and get that solid so that you're asking them to learn a single cued behaviour, not to discriminate between cues (which is a far harder behaviour to pick up)

they suggest having them go down a hallway and left turn into a room for a treat they've seen hidden there to start with.

the other way would be the sheepdog way of learning 'come bye' which is to send them in a clockwise circle about some obstacles and always say 'left' as they go out.  WHen that's solid and you can be anywhere in relation, then start on 'right'

good luck

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »
I've begun to teach Bonnee (cos she is really quick round a course) away from the agility equipment; she is ball motivated, so I throw a ball for her, either left or right, and use the command as she goes after it  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »
Thanks for all the tips! Will try them out and let you know how we get on  :D

There's a section on this in 'Excel-erated learning' which is mostly clicker-oriented.

In it, they say that all studies done say it's far, far easier to teach 'left' (or right- one or other side) and get it solid and only then teach the other side and get that solid so that you're asking them to learn a single cued behaviour, not to discriminate between cues (which is a far harder behaviour to pick up)

they suggest having them go down a hallway and left turn into a room for a treat they've seen hidden there to start with.

the other way would be the sheepdog way of learning 'come bye' which is to send them in a clockwise circle about some obstacles and always say 'left' as they go out.  WHen that's solid and you can be anywhere in relation, then start on 'right'

good luck

e

Thats interesting. When I want them to go into the kitchen from the garden, I've been saying 'Left' and they go into the kitchen (as opposed to carrying straight on to the back gate), so I suppose I've been sort of working on that one without evening knowing it!  :005:

Offline Ori1

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »
Hi,

I'm teaching Murphy this at the moment. You may find this useful? :D

I have been using a tuggy rope. With him facing me I have been turning him left or right (which ever I'm teaching - never both commands at the same time) and continuing the game of tuggy once he has done this. (Although I say this knowing that if you are going to use your dog for FT then tuggy isn't recommended!!)

I then have built this up by placing a jump wing in the garden. I stand with his tuggy in one hand and place him in his 'wait' position. I then release him with 'okay' and once he is up near the wing I throw the tuggy left or right (again which ever you are teaching) and then say the command. This gets the dog to wrap around the jump wing.

The next step would be to place two jumps (poles on floor or small height) in an L shape. You can then teach this two ways. Either stand at the side of the first jump and throw the tuggy (after releasing her) over the second jump (either left or right depending where you have put the jumps) saying the command at the same time. Or, you can stand facing her release her so she jumps over the jump towards you and then throw the tuggy left or right over the second jump whilst saying the command. She will then get used to both positions and the different arm movements you will use.

I'm using a tuggy, but it could be any toy.

I hope the above makes sense? >:(

BTW: Is Rio Murphy's sister? I'm sooooooooooooooo sure she is!!!!! :luv:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:20:33 PM »
I've begun to teach Bonnee (cos she is really quick round a course) away from the agility equipment; she is ball motivated, so I throw a ball for her, either left or right, and use the command as she goes after it  ;)

Mine all know left and right for working and that's how I taught them too. I threw a ball or dummy to the side and gave the 'left' or 'right' command plus hand signal and then I started increasing the distances and moved to just hand signals (just using hand signals is probably more useful for working than agility though  :005:).
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »
Hi,

I'm teaching Murphy this at the moment. You may find this useful? :D

I have been using a tuggy rope. With him facing me I have been turning him left or right (which ever I'm teaching - never both commands at the same time) and continuing the game of tuggy once he has done this. (Although I say this knowing that if you are going to use your dog for FT then tuggy isn't recommended!!)

I then have built this up by placing a jump wing in the garden. I stand with his tuggy in one hand and place him in his 'wait' position. I then release him with 'okay' and once he is up near the wing I throw the tuggy left or right (again which ever you are teaching) and then say the command. This gets the dog to wrap around the jump wing.

The next step would be to place two jumps (poles on floor or small height) in an L shape. You can then teach this two ways. Either stand at the side of the first jump and throw the tuggy (after releasing her) over the second jump (either left or right depending where you have put the jumps) saying the command at the same time. Or, you can stand facing her release her so she jumps over the jump towards you and then throw the tuggy left or right over the second jump whilst saying the command. She will then get used to both positions and the different arm movements you will use.

I'm using a tuggy, but it could be any toy.

I hope the above makes sense? >:(

BTW: Is Rio Murphy's sister? I'm sooooooooooooooo sure she is!!!!! :luv:

Thanks for that, will give that a try! No worries about using the tuggy, they're going to be agility and flyball doggies, not field trials dogs. Rio's fave toy is the tennis ball (could be something to do with her parentage?!?!) so will give it a go using that.

And yes, Rio is Murphy's sister!!!  :D :D :D Murphy is soooooo lovely, have been watching him grow up on the Bryning website  :luv: You collected Murphy the day before we collected Rio I think? I saw him at nearly 4 weeks - cute! Anyhoo, I'll PM you shortly - it'd be nice to chat  :D

Offline Ori1

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »
That would be great to chat - particularly as we are teaching them the same things - Murph's will definitely be a flyball and agility dog.... ;)

Hahahahaha re: tennis ball - all Murphy does is think 'tennis ball....erm...tuggy, nononono 'tennis ball', oh no BOTH!!!' >:D

Rio is such a cutey too :luv: - she looks very lean like Murphy. He is the spitting image of his dad but so like Teal in his temperament and mannerisms...although he runs like his dad - completely mad, in any direction!!!

Anyhow hope the lefts and rights work out...looking forward to pm-ing you!!!!!

TTFN :D

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:15:57 PM »

Ooh! I've been wanting to do this too. I've give the ball/toy one a shot first and if no luck I'll try the obstacle one. Cheers guys!

Offline daisy16feb

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »
I have been doing agility for about six months with Milo and the left and right has just clicked he did do it before but think it was luck!!!!

We practised on everyday walks and off lead heel work this helped alot !!!!