Author Topic: agility classes around macclesfield  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
agility classes around macclesfield
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
Just seen Topbarks agility video and would really love to do this. Our new puppy will be ready to take home mid December so I'm like a restless mother getting the nest ready!! Hate to think what I'm going to be like when I have kids! :005:

OH has just sternly said no to setting up a mini agility course in our back garden  >:( so I was wondering if anyone knows if their are any good agility classes in the Macclesfield or cheshire area. Also what age is it safe to start doing these sort of activites with your dog?

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
Re: agility classes around macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:03:50 AM »
I don't think High Peak DAC is too far away...  http://www.smoobles.com/page10.htm

The accepted age for training is usually 12 months+, but perhaps you could do a bit of obedience in the meantime and get your name on the waiting list for agility now   :D
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »
Thankyou. Stockport is really close!  :D

Offline AnnaB

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »
Just to agree that pups do need to be about a year old before they do much agility work at all to make sure that they are fully developed.  Lots of work too early can cause joint problems and injuries.

Having said that, there are things that you can do to prepare your pup that will come in handy when you do start agility.

1/ A good wait.  Your dog will be faster than you so if you can get a head start by leaving him/her in a wait at the start this will be handy and also really helps as the courses get more difficult as you go up through the grades.  Make sure you are consistent with your release command - I use "OK" but "go" is probably a good one - nice and short.

2/  Teach left and right.  It is useful if you can holler directional commands to your pooch to steer him/her the right way as they are whizzing around the course in front of you.  These can be taught by repitition whilst out on a walk.  If you go to turn just say the directional command first and they will soon pick it up.

3/   Get your pup used to walking on both sides of you.  When you run at agility the dog will need to sometimes be on your left and sometimes your right.  If you do a lot of obedience work where a dog is always on your left this can cause a problem when starting agility - ask your obedience instructor if they mind if work your dog on both sides and hopefully they will be flexible if you explain the reason for your request.

Good luck but please don't be tempted to do too much too soon and start yourself doing equipment at home.  You could develop bad habits which will be difficult to break when you do start to go to a club.  Once a dog has learnt to do something the wrong way it is really difficult to change it so the first few leassons are very important.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
2/  Teach left and right.  It is useful if you can holler directional commands to your pooch to steer him/her the right way as they are whizzing around the course in front of you.  These can be taught by repitition whilst out on a walk.  If you go to turn just say the directional command first and they will soon pick it up.

and also to learn left and right yourself when under pressure ;) I've tripped over myself hundreds of times forgetting which is which and Ruby being fine (with me letting the side down :005:)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:30:25 AM »

and also to learn left and right yourself when under pressure ;) I've tripped over myself hundreds of times forgetting which is which and Ruby being fine (with me letting the side down :005:)

:005: Poor puppy will have no chance with me as I have no sense of direction!! Thanks for the advice tho. So excited! We clicker trained our last dog-a 1 year old Staffie cross. I'm looking forward to the challange of a new pup!