Author Topic: Agility advice  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Agility advice
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »
Hi

Was going to start agility with Indie after christmas but have had an email to say I can start now on Saturdays.   I'm a bit worried now that we'll get shown up as she can be a bit mad and scatty  :005:

What should she be good at before we go, is there anything I can practice this week or do they not expect much when you first start  :-\

Any advice would be appreciated - I'm starting to have second thoughts - panic setting in that we'll look stupid  :shades:

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Re: Agility advice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »
Ooh lucky you. Ive still got 5 months to go til Purdey is old enough to start.

I'm not speaking from experience but I would imagine they would expect plenty of antics on the first few lessons. If you watch agility on the TV, or at a dog show etc, even the very experienced dogs will suddenly change their mind and refuse to perform from time to time, so it must happen all the time with beginner dogs.

Dont give up til you have at least tried it - I hear it is very addictive!!!

Good luck and dont forget to let us all know how it goes!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »
Ooh lucky you. Ive still got 5 months to go til Purdey is old enough to start.

I'm not speaking from experience but I would imagine they would expect plenty of antics on the first few lessons. If you watch agility on the TV, or at a dog show etc, even the very experienced dogs will suddenly change their mind and refuse to perform from time to time, so it must happen all the time with beginner dogs.

Dont give up til you have at least tried it - I hear it is very addictive!!!

Good luck and dont forget to let us all know how it goes!

I can't give up as its a course in 8 week blocks so can't even go once and then not go again as would be a waste of money - think thats where my panic is.  Having said that its the same trainer we did obedience with so at least she knows us.   I will stop being silly and just go, Indie's told me she wants to go anyway  :005:     Need to have a search to find out what commands I need to learn. 

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »
Go for it, i was really impressed at Jarvis' natural ability when we had a go at agility at a doggy fun day. :D (And as all those who have met him will confirm, he is no angel ph34r :005:)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
Lots of treats (maybe a clicker if you use one  :-\), sensible running shoes & a sense of humour  :005:
You'll be just fine, IMO all cockers love agility.  I'm sure they won't be expecting much at a beginners class, they'll probably just get Indie used to the different pieces of equipment & maybe on lead for part of it.
Just go & enjoy it but be warned........It becomes addictive  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »
Lots of treats (maybe a clicker if you use one  :-\), sensible running shoes & a sense of humour  :005:
You'll be just fine, IMO all cockers love agility.  I'm sure they won't be expecting much at a beginners class, they'll probably just get Indie used to the different pieces of equipment & maybe on lead for part of it.

Just hope I can keep up with her  ;)  Might help me lose a few pounds. 

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

I can't keep up with Max but unless told otherwise he'll just go over what's infront of him anyway  :005: & I hate to tell you this but I've certainly not lost any weight since we started :(
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »

I can't keep up with Max but unless told otherwise he'll just go over what's infront of him anyway  :005: & I hate to tell you this but I've certainly not lost any weight since we started :(

Damn - thats one of my main incentives for doing it! Mind you, Id probably need a mars bar or 3 to help me recover after running round like a loon!  :005:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »

I was hoping to - it sounds like more running round than I'm used to. 

Offline Ori1

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
I'm sure you will be fine.

I run an agility club and when we hold beginner courses we don't expect that the owners or dogs will know anything... so don't worry!!!!!!!

As long as you have decent basic obedience you will be FINE!!!!!!!!

The only thing I find with training cockers (workers mainly) is that it is better not to stick to one reward e.g food or one toy e.g ball - their attention span is soooooooooooooooo short  :luv: :005: :luv:- a mix of everthing keeps them focussed - but it will depend on your little angel - you will know what's best as a reward.

we get our beginners to teach their dog a 'go on' command, a touch command and left and right - as well as building up their confidence on each piece of equipment. But it depends on the course your trainer is running. I can pm you the steps for the above commands if you want - happy to help - but it maybe worth seeing what your trainer is going to teach you - and then practice those commands in between sessions (if you can).

Cockers always enjoy it - and I'm sure you will be great too!!!!!!

Keep us all posted

:luv:

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Can't wait to start with Ollie in May. Got a long wait yet. :005: Good Luck!!!

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
The most important thing to master is sit and wait for agility!!!! There isnt a lot else you can practice before hand just enjoy it! I cant wait to start with Alice in April!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Ori1

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »
I agree with the sit and wait thing - but it has to be in th context of can they sit and wait whilst there is something really exciting either happening or about to happen? Sometimes even the best behaved dog goes to pot when they anticipate something really exciting is about to happen - you can definitely practice this - when they need to wait for a treat or toy they can see -  whilst still sitting and waiting...

good luck,

:luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »

That's quite good news - we hope to start agility with Honey (prob in the New Year when they restart weekday sessions), but I always make her sit and wait at the beginning of her walk, while I go on ahead....  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Ori1

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
That is good training - as they are learning to control themselves - when they don't really want to - they wanna go MAD!!!!!! Hehehehehehe :005: