Author Topic: Agility - anyone doing Chippenham or Easter Egggility????  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Freckle

Agility - anyone doing Chippenham or Easter Egggility????
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »
Hi All

Just interested in Chippenham for a nosey on who to look out for.

But the other show (Easter Egg gility ) I have never been to and might go this year - 1 3/4 hours away so need the low down if any good or not?

Jane

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Re: Agility - anyone doing Chippenham or Easter Egggility????
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »
We will all be at Chippenham - it will be Spice's first champ class so expect Es all the way!!

not going to Easter Egility as they only cater for up to grade 5 so 3 of my 5 would not get any runs!  It is the first year that they have run this show so no idea what it will be like!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Freckle

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:30:38 PM »
Hi Rosie

Only up to grade 5 not a problem for me  :005:  :005:

What age did you start to train your dogs as pups for agility?  Didnt start Freckle until he was nearly 2 and now I got my new baby would like to think about it loads earlier but not sure about age is fair to start.

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
Hi Jane

Well in terms of training her waits, lefts, rights, stay, down, away, round in and out I did all of this work bascially in small steps almost from when she came home - just as part of her training - if you want to email me I can tell you what I did in more details - prob too much for this- if you want any exercises info then PM me with your email address.

I had her running through wings and getting used to chasing a toy ahead of me from about 4-5 months just as part of her play around equipment - I wil stress this was all playing - retirevinig chase, tugging around the equipment - NO contacts not even poles o the floor at this point.

At 6months ish she did poles on the floor and a couple of tunnels - again just part of playing loads of toys and treats and so simple and easy for her to get the reward.

At 8 months I start channel weaving - but she was not bending round poles till 11-12months these were wide channels - again playing fetch etc.

At 12 months we then introduced micro hieght and contacts. Lowered A Frame and Dog walk and then went from there.

I am sure I am setting myself up for lectures from many who may not agree but up to 6 months she was only around the equipment for 5-10 mins mostly playing - then it increased gradually.  No impact work was done before 11-12months and nothing was done other than positive enforcement.  To Spice training means play and always has done although as she got older "play" becomes more structured.

As I say please feel free to PM me for more info / tips / exericses but in terms of general obedience - wait, left and right etc personally I think it is never too early for them to learn and helps take the edge of all that puppy energy when they can not walk too far!!

Good luck and enjoy!

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »
i'm concidering doing easter agility with Ellie, the shedule looks good for us, Graded (1), and a nice hours drive up the M40, this will be the start of  our 2nd season

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »
Chippenham for me, weather permitting, then UKA Waverunners at Walton On Thames on 28-29th March. For me those are about the furthest points of the compass, west and east, that I travel.

Jackie, hope to see you at some of the Newbury shows again this year?

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
Have just booked into the newbury one on the Saturday 2nd May, not doing waverunners but the following weekend at scambles on the Saturday, tend only to do the one day of a 2 day show, i think that we may have to do more  UKA's this season as Ellie has really struggled with the KC height over the winter events

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »
Have just booked into the newbury one on the Saturday 2nd May, not doing waverunners but the following weekend at scambles on the Saturday, tend only to do the one day of a 2 day show, i think that we may have to do more  UKA's this season as Ellie has really struggled with the KC height over the winter events

Hope to see you at Scrambles as I'll be there on the Saturday. I'm on holiday early May so won't be at Newbury then or the UKA show at Whitney the following weekend. I haven't done any shows since Southdowns at the end of September where we were 4th in the Agility Club Starters Challenge class.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »
We are always at Newbury as just down the road from us. My mum runs the collies. I am training spaniels at the mo and not competing again yet.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline AnnaB

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »
I think I will be going to Chippenham as long as Dan can borrow the ancient terrier for the day  :luv:

Actually, thinking about it, I will probably go anyway so that I can show off my new collie pup (ok, I know she's supposed to be Dan's but he probably won't see this post  ;))

Offline Freckle

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »
I will tell him!

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »
Hmmm you may not be the only one there with a new pup!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »
Hmmm you may not be the only one there with a new pup!

you have a new one Rosie? ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
Anything to tell us Rosie?  :D

I think I'll be going to Easter Egg-gility, less than an hours drive for me & sounds a nice schedule for our 1st KC show of the year
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
well - not of the long eared variety I'm afriad - Martin's dog and he wants to compete in large!!