Author Topic: Activites involving spaniels?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline clareq

Activites involving spaniels?
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
Hello - I am the relatively new owner of a 3 yr old rescue spaniel who is a lovely dog.  Now I have got the basic training going well (he had had no training or been allowed off the lead in his old home) I was wondering what other activities are avaliable to spaniels and how I go about getting contacts for those in the Edinburgh / Lothian areas?  Agility is one option I was looking at, also therapy dog training - does anyone have any experience of therapy dogs?  Does anyone also know if there are opportunities to become involved in any type mountain rescue work? Thanks

Offline emderpenguin

Re: Activites involving spaniels?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
dunno if there's anywhere local, but mine and several other spaniels love Flyball!

I highly recommend it if you can find a group!

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
And I recommend Agility!  My two love it!  And it's a good work out for us owners too!  :shades:
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »
If you want to do agility then agility net will list clubs in different areas and would be a good place to start:

www.agilitynet.co.uk

Don't know about the others but am sure someone will be along soon to offer some alternatives

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »
Agility, Gun dog, flyball!

We will be pursuing flyball in next couple months!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline WarwickshireFlyball

• K925 Pet Services
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »
If you wanted to look up flyball then there are teams in Scotland but I'm not too sure where in comparison to you... Here are the details for Lomond who look to train near Glascow - they will probably know of some other teams too that may be closer.

Hope you have fun in whatever you end up doing  :D

Lomond Flyball Club
Venue : Mill Hall, Haldane Primary School
Cook Road, Balloch, Alexandria
Dunbartonshire
G83 8AA 
Phone : 01389 605779
Mobile : 07808912599
Email : sarah@lomond-flyball.co.uk

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
Storm has had a lot od fun in obedience and working trials (not sure what the opporunities are for training in these disciplines where you are though?)  I can also recommend agility, something Storm and I also enjoy  :blink:

I'd recommend going to some sort of obedience club (if you don't already) to get the basics, and get your dog used to working with other dogs around.  You can then build on that whichever direction(s) you would like to go in.  You can find a list of some obedience clubs here: www.obedienceuk.com under 'club profiles'.

Mountain rescue work...I asked a couple of years ago about it (think it was at Crufts).  The people I spoke to said it was voluntary and you have to be able to go when they need you (similar to how the coastguard works?).  Unfortunately my commitments are not flexible enough for me to be able to drop everything when there is a call, but if I was able to I think I would find it a very worthwhile 'hobby'.

Good Luck whatever you decide to do...sounds like your boy has landed on his feet!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
Also there's CaniX as well http://cani-cross.co.uk/index.shtml
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:22 AM »
Does anyone also know if there are opportunities to become involved in any type mountain rescue work?

Contact your local search and rescue for this - sometimes there is training available but more on a 'fun' type basis rather than to actually work
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »
what about some gundog training?  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline JohnW

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
There seems to be plenty to do for dog owners, I like agility and have now got the bug. Luckily i have loads of time through day so can give my dogs lots of attention. I have thought about flyball too as i have found a club not far from me now so I think i will have a look at that too. I have also heard of a petting dog society or something like that where owners of nice placid dogs go to old peoples homes etc and hospitals to allow the residents of those places to pet the dogs. I prefer the agilty tho and have noticed its done wonders for my middle aged spread lol.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
My American cocker does competitive obedience (and won out of Pre-Beginners in his second show and got placed in Beginners at almost every show) and I would like to do some agility a few years down the line. To be honest, he would be fab at pretty much anything, he is so enthusiastic about anything we do.

Vera 
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:33:06 AM »
Obedience, agility, flyball, lure coursing, tracking, field trials, truffle hunting, therapy dogs, endurance tests, cocker's can do anything you  want just have fun :D :D
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline JohnW

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »
so did you get sorted in finding an activity for your dog? to the op