Author Topic: Agility Know how  (Read 1949 times)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Agility Know how
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:30:27 PM »
I'm interested in starting agility (just for fun) with Ollie possibly this year.

I'm wondering of those of you who do agility did you go with any knowledge? I wondered if there were any commands Ollie should be really good at so we get a good start and not shown up too much  ph34r !!!!

Thanks in advance

L&O x

Offline emderpenguin

Re: Agility Know how
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
No help, but wanted to see ppls responses.. am looking to start Pepper on agility soon too.. lthough we'll be starting in a friends feild for the basics

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:42:45 PM »
A good wait is important and directional commands are something else you could start teaching if you wanted to. eg, Left and Right or what ever commands you choose to learn. Contacts is another one. I teach with a touch pad getting the dog to touch it on the floor for a reward on it. once they know touch you can use the stairs at home and put the contact at the bottom and the dog runs down touches the contact with his nose with the 2 back feet on the stairs and the 2 front feet at the bottom. Just like a contact. You can start by luring him to the touch pad with treats and then he will learn to touch it and then get rewarded. I use a clicker also. It's up to you how much you do. These are only ideas and what I start with.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
Hi, I've just started agility with Misha this year with a club that train to competition standard.  Have to admit I knew absolutely nothing about it other than what I'd seen on the telly.  At the first session I was the only beginner and everyone else could do everything and had been to competitions.  For about 4 weeks we've had to do everything with Misha still on the lead as she learns the equipment.  Its only in the last two weeks that we've been off lead which has been fun except that I can't keep up with Misha.

I was told the following as basics:

1. He needs a good firm wait or stay
2. He needs to go into a down position when asked to do so.
3. He needs to work on both your left and right so walk him on both sides when on a lead.
4. He needs to come when called
5. Have sense of humour

Most of the time Misha is quite focussed, but she regularly gets led astray by her nose and interesting smells other than that its really good fun.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
Thanks guys this helps!! makes me slightly nervous as I'm sure Ollie would disobey all these commands whilst doing it! So I'm going to try to practice in the field etc whilst I find a class!!!

When people say he needs a good wait - would this be shouting him to wait from distance or whilst he's close by - at a distance could be a problem!!!

Thankfully the nights are getting light so I'm going to give him a bit of run to hopefully release some energy then practice some of these moves. Teaching the touch also sounds complicated for Ollie too  :005: but I'm willing to give it a try.

I won't be entering any competitions its just for me and Ollie to enjoy so it doesn't matter if we are both rubbish really  :005: !!!!

L&O x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »
I use the wait at the first obstacle, so that I can get a bit a head and then tell them to go - once they start getting the hang of things they do everything a 100mph and you can be left behind.  I've also used wait to help with touches on dog walk and "A" frame.

Usually once I've been left behind Misha takes the opportunity to put her nose to the ground until I catch up and then we continue.  We do quite well if everything is in a straight line, but as soon as we have to turn it all goes horribly wrong - hence the sense of humour.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
Don't be nervous. These are all just ideas. Most importantly you should both enjoy it.  ;) When you start you should be in a beginners class which means everyone will be in the same boat as you. I use wait at the beginning as well and I use the touch command on the contacts. I used to use on it for my older dog. My two have loads of fun. Morgana is getting much better at it, but she has been doing it for a while now. Avalon her daughter has loads of fun. She loves the contacts cause she gets food for doing them. She can be cheeky sometimes and enjoys doing her own course. She has a fantastic time and thats what it's all about. Have fun and enjoy.  ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
I use wait at the beginning as well, because I'm an unfit 50+ and I need a head start :005:. Lots of trainers don't teach a touch command at all, let alone the way that 5scompany described, but William and I were taught that way by our second agility trainer and I think it's the best way to get good contacts. Until then I was really struggling.

But most importantly, just enjoy it and don't get downheartened when you go through spells when progress seems really slow, or you think you're actually getting worse! It happens to all of us.

William and I compete in Grade 1, so we're not exactly high fliers and never will be, but we have great fun and I feel really proud when we get a clear round rosette or better.

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »
I think a really good wait command is really important although expect it to be tested once the excitement of the equipment comes in.  As long as you are firm and consistent - reward the wait nd do not release until ready - if your dog self releases just calmly and quietly replace in position and try again.

I do lots of things around wait as Spice will test very very frequently - but more of that later.

Although a touch is really good there are a variety of ways of training contacts from a stop to a run - we found Dylan had a naturally good stride over the A Frame which meant he can run it - he is two strides up and two down and the length of stride means he always hits the contact - however we do do a stop on the dogwalk.

If you are going to use a target/touchpad - some of the best I have used have been clear perspex / astro turf - easier to make the transition when the target is nnot down.  That is just my preference though and I am sure others may not agree!!

If you have a toy that your dog loves ie chasing a ball that can be great and an exercise I do is put the dog in a wait - walk a couple of apces forward with the ball (no equipment at all) really gee them up - ready ready ready - throw the ball and release then as they run past use go on/go until they reach the ball - they tehn learn go on means go on ahead of you - can be really useful if your dog is faster than you!! At training also to get them to go ahead after the last jump a toy can be thrown whilst you are catching up (don't worry if you can't throw I have to throw the ball for most of the people I teach!!)

But as others have said most of all relax and enjoy!  If you relax then your dog will also enjoy and take it at your pace - some dogs will take to it like a duck to water others will develop confidence etc more slowely - you and your dog will click in your time - no one elses!!!  But if you enjoy it will come easier to both of you!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »
Some very good advice there. A toy is very important as well as a release command. Your dog should not brake anything without this command. I used to use a running contact as well as really my 2 do hit it every time, but my new teacher who is very much a compotition teacher as he is high up in comp himself, but he said that to teach a running contact properly takes a very long time and a lot of patience, so I have opted for the touch as this is the norm in our class. He does the running contact with his, but he eat sleeps and breaths Agility. Although I have competed and my mum does with her collies, first and formost it is fun for me and my dogs.

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
Quite excited about it now! Me and ollie are ok with a wait as long as he's not ahead so that sounds ok. I'll start trying to do some practice on my own whilst I find a class it can only help!!

So all i have to do now is find a class!!!

L&O x

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »
Don't worry about it - i started with practically nothing useful - Taz's recall was poor in the field, so we he went run abouts it was difficult to get him back.  Couldnt use a wait command at the start because he would loose interest and follow a scent instead.  however i did persevere with him and since christmas he has been a different dog.  Due to a back injury the trainer has been running him for me the last few weeks, and i cannot believe how good Taz actually is at it and at speed when he has someone who knows what they are doing!

Sense of humour is a must - and not having too high expectations to start with.  The dogs get it almost from day one - humans take a lot longer!

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
I have no expectations and a sense of humour so not worried about it! I don't expect much from it really its just something for us both to enjoy!!!

I was wondering if anyone had a book which they have used to help them? I looked on amazon and there are loads so don't want to buy a duff one!!

L&O x

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »
When I started agility with Josie, the trainer told me all I needed to know (books were very scarey!) and she was lovely.
We started in a beginners class and TBH the first time I looked at the equipment, I just thought - NO WAY!
Never expected anything, and yet once she got the hang of it she raced up the A frame, over the ramp thingy and was fantastic at the jumps!
We both really enjoyed it and the only thing that slowed her down was me as I couldn't keep up with her.

Will probably go along again this year now the evenings are lighter, and once Harriet turns 12 months might even try her at it as well!

Go for it and enjoy!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »
I'll forget the book then. Found a course which is only 35 min drive from us. Going to ring the vets though see if they know of one more locally and if not I'll ring the other and see if they have room for us!!!

getting a little excited now!!!

L&O x