Author Topic: Anyone do agility type training without a trainer?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Anyone do agility type training without a trainer?
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »
I'm sure Chloe would love agility, but no classes up here  >:D Is it something I could teach her using books, videos, etc. do you think? I've been looking at equipment and reckon I could acquire/make a few bits and pieces reasonably cheaply.
What do you think? And sorry for starting yet another thread this evening, but I have to stop myself being depressed that my gorgeous Chloe didn't win anything in the competition  ph34r :005: :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline dj

Re: Anyone do agility type training without a trainer?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:23:37 AM »
Hiya

I have Monty booked into agility classes at the end of the year when he is old enough  :)
I have spoken to the trainer and she advised me to get a piece of wood and paint both ends white ( like a see saw on agility) and get monty practised with walking along it and then learning to wait with his back legs on white area and front legs on ground. She also advised getting wings for jumps and practising him walking through them ( but no jump pole yet as he is too young )
She also said weave poles are a good start to get him used to it all :)

I am lucky that my brother is a carpenter and is making them for me :)

Suzie x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »
Yes, definitely. :D There are not many classes round here either.  >:(  We have done a short fun agility course just to introduce the dogs to the equipment and what to do but most of the stuff I have done with Coco, I have done at home on homemade jumps etc.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
Whilst I do belong to a club which we go to once a week, I have been practising at home.  I've got some basic equipment (weaves and 3 jumps) as my garden isn't very big - so no dog walks/A-frames etc.

Also can recommend a great book (it is American), uses some clicker training as well as lots of diagrams to show you how to go about things - jumping techniques as well as working your dog on both sides of you.  Even gives you some recipes for treats to use when training.

Is called: Agility Training for you and your dog (from backyard fun to high performance training) Ali Canova & Joe Canova (isbn 978-1-59921-248-7)

Got my equipment from Jump4joyagility (on net), very quick service. Or if you want to make your own, the site below is very useful (I'm going to have a go at making the tyre next weekend).  A lot of stuff can be made from plastic plumbing pipes (I would just use a bit of masking tape if you want a bit of colour, easier than painting)

http://www.agilitybits.co.uk/Equipment/equip_index.html

It is good fun and I find just 15 minute sessions for each dog really tires them out.  Sometimes you might find that you're not getting anywhere (I just leave it then), but try to finish on something positive.  Usually find when I go back the problem the next day the dog has figured it out - sometimes I think they just need to go away and think about it.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
I’ve been doing some basic jumping with Brodie using some makeshift jumps in the garden.  She loves it a lot and it's good to put some of the basic training we've learnt into use. I had a short session with her earlier on and she’s spent the last hour crying to go back out and do some more ::).  I’m looking into making up some other bits of equipment so thanks for that link supergirl :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline mcphee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »
I do not practice between lessons, because I do not have much space, except using the same commands. I bought some weave poles(6) a couple of years ago, but got fed up moving them to mow the lawn. If you do start on your own, it might be as well to make a jump (we did this anyway with Rufus as a puppy- two flower pots and a bamboo pole). Choose what commands you want to use, maybe ones which will help at other times. For instance I use over for a jump, and if he isn't on the other side already would use it to get him over a breakwater or large tree trunk.