Author Topic: Advice please? Flyball UPDATED-were going to be trying agility  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Flynn really seems to enjoy the little bits of clicker training we have done with him, as long as we go slow and always make sure he gets it right it really builds his confidence  :luv:
We taught him by using the clicker and the other dogs to climb over a pile of logs and do tiny jumps  :luv:
 Flynn needs his confidence boosting alot and taught how to please humans (thats not the right way to explain it but he so wants to have your attention and be rewarded but doesnt always know how to go about it then gets confused and unsure IYSWIM)

He also hates shouting and lots of noise which is something I would like to work on with him. He loves his ball and I have taught him to retrieve so was thinking of doing some flyball with him.

Nothing serious just for fun, to build his confidence, his bond with us and give him something to do.

I was thinking of either teaching him first then trying a club so that maybe he would focus on what he was there for rather than the noisy surroundings or taking him to a club but just sitting far back from what was going on doing some clicking with him then decreasing the distance until he was comfortable and then teaching him.

What do you guys reckon? I have never been to a fly ball club how noisy are they?

I could probably take Jack with us and train Jack then getting Flynn to copy him but I really want to do something on my own with Flynn. Hes still not really himself, hes a different dog depending on who he is out with as the other two are very different and he mimics which ever one he is with. I would like to meet the real Flynn and help him have the confidence that he doesnt just have to copy what Jack and Brie are doing but can do what he wants.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Re: Advice please? Flyball
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
Can I add a question about Flyball Clubs, so to highjack!!!

How serious is it taken, can you join as a fun activity for you and your dog.......or do the clubs expect you to be entering competions when you progress after time?

The one local to me reads as if you join and are expected to participate in competitions as and when you are at the right level. I'm not sure we could be that dedicate enough time to it, if that was the case.

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
I hope its not too serious as I really just want something for Flynn to enjoy  :-\
I suppose I really just want to take advantage of the atmosphere

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »

Don't know if this will help.  I joined a flyball club when Dylan was younger and he really enjoyed it.  It does get very noisy as the dogs get very excited and raring to go.  The clubs will train you and your dog, but do expect you to travel and take part in competions.  If you are still interested you could get in touch with the British Flyball Assoc.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »
I'm no help on the flyball but just wanted to say that your post made me a bit leaky eyed - how lucky is Flynn to have you  :luv: :luv: :luv:

So wonderful to read how well you understand him and how you want to bring the real Flynn out - it's a real testimony to how much you care for your dogs and you should be really proud of yourself :bigarmhug:
helen & jarvis x

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:28:36 AM »
I'm no help on the flyball but just wanted to say that your post made me a bit leaky eyed - how lucky is Flynn to have you  :luv: :luv: :luv:

So wonderful to read how well you understand him and how you want to bring the real Flynn out - it's a real testimony to how much you care for your dogs and you should be really proud of yourself :bigarmhug:

Thank you thats a lovely thing to say  :luv:
Flynn is teaching me sooo much about dogs,  having him has definetly been a learning curve.
I would love to say we have got it right everytime but we havn't. There has been a few mistakes made, the biggest one was without thinking about it we put him in the shower and the fright caused him to completly shut down  :'( when he finally began moving again he cowered/belly crawled into his crate and stayed there for ages  :'( :'(
He is petrified of all running water, even a squeezy bottle I take on the dogs walks and squirt into the other twos mouth and over them so Flynn now has a special bowl for his water when were out. He drinks from it and then carrys it around in his mouth and throws it like a frizbee :005:

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »

Poor Flynn, it does sound like he's had a tough time.  :'(
Hope you find what you are looking for and that the flyball proves popular with Flynn & helps him with the noise issue etc.
To echo Livercake's sentiment, he is a lucky boy to have such a thoughtful mummy.  :luv:

Jo & Milly x
(get well soon baby girl, mum misses you already!)  :luv:  :-*

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »
it'll take some time before you find all his triggers, such a shame when rescue dogs reveal what has frightened them (a friend had a beautiful setter x collie that was petrified of kitchen knives  :'( :'( )

From what I see from you posts, you pick up on what affects him and find a solution that doesn't frighten - of course you'll inadvertently find the things that frighten him, that's only natural - but it's how you deal with them that counts  :luv: :luv: :luv:

I think you should do a rescue blog, cos I am finding Flynn and your evolving relationship really fascinating and it's a huge learning curve for me as well  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 06:43:21 AM »
I would say it totally depends on the team you're with. Some are a lot more competitive than others. and some teams are less willing to help sort out 'problem dogs' than others.

It's like any training really

I'd recommend you find your local group(s) and talk to them. Explain your situation, and don't be put off by the cometitive ones, as some of these are also more than happy to have people who train but don't compete

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
I would say it totally depends on the team you're with. Some are a lot more competitive than others. and some teams are less willing to help sort out 'problem dogs' than others.

It's like any training really

I'd recommend you find your local group(s) and talk to them. Explain your situation, and don't be put off by the cometitive ones, as some of these are also more than happy to have people who train but don't compete

Would just echo what was said above.  Misha started Flyball last weekend and I did expect it to be quite noisy, but in fact it was very quiet and relaxed (unbelieveably no barking!!) - only 4 dogs in total as its a new class at a local dog training centre.  We're all at different levels as well, but everyone got individual attention - they even let me take some jumps away to practice with as they only use them on Sunday.  No one is up to competition level yet, but they're hoping to put together a team at some point.  Shame you're so far away as I think this would totally suit Flynn as it was a very "no pressure" class, and very reward based.

You could try putting together a few jumps in the garden to get him started going down a line possibly.  Start with one jump an gradually progress.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
from a home training point of view, i'd say the most important ascpect is teaching them to bring back a stationary ball. Jumps can be done at a later stage, but the ball is the motivation.

Start by throwing the ball a short distance away, and only let you dog go once it's stopped moving. You'll need to builld up both the distance of the ball, and the time before they can go get it, do each seperately.

If you're running as last dog on a team for example it's important you can keep them focused on the ball at the end of the lane.. One so they go fetch the ball and two so they don't think about having a snap at a dog running past them with a ball. or, in some dogs cases, run after the dog with the ball when you let go.

You can then move on to placing the ball on the spot they're getting it from, so taking away the excitment of 'ball being thrown'.

It's only once you've got to this stage I'd add in jumps. You can do jumps before in a line and get them to wait at the end then call them to you. Have a look for the distance in the rules in the BFA website though, to make sure you have the spaced properly.

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
So very similar to teaching a working retreive then?
Thanks for that  :blink:
I have looked at our local agility/flyball club and realised I know one of the trainers and they know Flynn.
I knew they did agility but hadnt realised they were the clubs trainers  ::) Il have a chat with them next time I see them.
I see them quite alot with Flynn and they know all about him so that should really help.

or, in some dogs cases, run after the dog with the ball when you let go.

Think I have spotted what our biggest training aspect will be  :005:

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »
Defo give it thought. Harvey is incredibly shy with adults and tends to back away and then bark if they continue to approach unless they have a dog or smell of a dog.

Flyball has really boosted  (not solved though) Harv's confidence around people he has not met before and we were just commenting the other day about the difference in him from 6 months ago.  We have some dogs who are so focussed on the ball as reward, for harvey though his ultimate reward is our praise - you can't however describe what it is though when your dog comes back and looks at you purely for that 'good boy' and pat on the back...

don't expect a good retrieve though away from flyball as we are only now making small steps of progress with this which normally only lasts for a couple of retrieves at best ;)

Good luck with whatever route you choose...

Offline WarwickshireFlyball

• K925 Pet Services
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
I would echo what the others have said - at our club if there is a dog who needs to be trained in a quiet/less distracting environment then we will make sure that is possible for them and I'm sure that most places would be happy to do that for you. As for competitions, many people get totally addicted and will travel all over the country most weekends, others prefer just to do a couple of local ones and some don't want to compete at all - as long as you are having fun with your dog then that is really what it is all about  ;)

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »
Well I met the agility instructor out with the dogs today and had a long chat with her. They no longer do flyball unfortunatly but she thinks i should give agaility a go.
She runs the beginners class and has invited us down on wednesday night to have a look around. Im going to take Flynn and just keep my distance a little from them and do some clicking with him to see how he reacts. She has said we are welcome to come down twice a week with him just to watch and get him used to the enviroment for as long as we want. Then when we think hes ready we can enrol in beginners which she teaches. Beginners is a twelve week course but she has said we can book just for six weeks and if he likes it can then book the next six.
She also said we can just do it for fun if we want and they will be more than happy to have Flynn in there classes even if he does take a while to do things and thats there will be no pressure. She said they can break things down really small for him and even if he never runs a full course and just practices on different things thats ok  :blink:
Im really excited about it  :D