Author Topic: Wanting to try agility  (Read 1481 times)

Offline gabbycocker

• Donator
  • Gorgeous Gabby
Wanting to try agility
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
I really want to start Gabby with Agility.

Firstly, I would like to know when she can start - at what age.

Secondly, can I get the children involved too.

Thirdly, does anyone know of any clubs/training in the Middlesex, Surrey or Greater London (South West) areas.

Thank you.
Kerry & Gabby xxxxxx

"My little dog---a heartbeat at my feet." - Edith Wharton

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Wanting to try agility
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
Most clubs won't take dogs under 12 months old, a few a bit older than that.

http://www.agilitynet.com/ is a link to the agility net website. Click to enter and across the top of the home page there are a number of links including a Club A-Z. I'm sure there must be a few in your area.

Good luck. I really enjoyed doing agility with William and hope to have a go with Louis when he's old enough. I think it's the best way to really build up your bond with your dog because you have to work as a team.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:47:40 PM »
I would also like to start agility when Dennis is old enough  :D The club i have been looking at , you can start at 10 months to do the good citizens awards and then start agility at 12 months  :D

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:10:02 AM »
When I did agility with Millie I used a local trainer rather than a club. We did a beginners course of 5 lessons and an improvers course of 4 lessons. It was more expensive than a club but there was no pressure from people who wanted to compete and lots of time to work through any problems.

Millie

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
Hi Kerry, I've pm'd you.   ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline JohnW

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:55:49 AM »
I would say go  for agility as its a great way of understanding your dogs and MASSIVELY improves your handling, a word of advise though don't judge it by half a dozen lessons, I have seen so many do the beginners course or not even that and say "the dog doesn't enjoy it" which usually translates that the owner is not enjoying it because the poor dog is not an agility champion in his or her first 3 lessons and is not as good as some of the dogs and owner/handlers that have been doing it for allot longer.

Human Ego's is the biggest obstacle to you and your dog, getting through those first few frustrating embarrassing classes and when you realise the other owners are so concerned about their own performance and dogs they are not really paying attention to you and no one is judging or giggling at your expense that you have tripped over a hurdle or sent the dog the wrong way etc, to be bothered. Embarrassment and frustration are the biggest obstacles in agility training and it should be seen as mostly just fun and getting to know your dog. I have now been training my dogs in agility and gundog field training for quite a few months now and TBH agility is more thought provoking and physically tiring especially when you are in front of hundreds of people at an agility show for example as we have just done over the Summer. I would say definitely join an agility class and stick with it for the duration and once you start to get results from your dogs thats when you really start to realise its all been worth while. I personally love agility and always look forward to my next class with my gang. It's very addictive once you start to get into it. I am now hoping to be competing by the end of the year with my dogs. ;)

And you can involve your children as alot of agility schools encourage young handlers. Some agilty schools do allow slightly younger dogs than 1 yrs old but will restrict them to certain obstacles. Best to check with your local school though, good luck with your search.

regards John. :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »
I agree with everything John says in his post.

Loads of people start agility and give up after a few lessons, thinking that they or their dog doesn't like it or isn't learning quickly enough and will never be any good. The embarassment factor is definitely there as well and was my biggest problem when I started agility with William and, even though his recall was normally pretty good, he'd zoom off and just jump whatever was in his line of sight and take very little notice of me. I felt very embarassed and very frustrated at times and had to make a conscious effort to get over that mental barrier. It wasn't helped by having a trainer who kept saying "what can you expect, he's a spaniel". In the end I was determined to prove her wrong.

William turned out to be a little star for me. We were never going to get far in competition because he wasn't fast enough, but we had a couple of wins, lots of places and lots of clear round rosettes in the 2 summers that we competed before his disc problem started up. More importantly, we had great fun and really learned to work as a team, looking out for each other, reading each other's body language and being really close.

I also learned a great deal about how to laugh at myself instead of being cross with myself when my body language was sending William the wrong way, or I fogot a course and we got eliminated. William didn't know that we were eliminated, every round was fun and a clear to him.

Offline Freckle

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
go for it

You will know when things are gradually falling into place as you see the dog smile at you as they go round.  Whether it is the right course or not.   :005:  :005:

Jane

Offline gabbycocker

• Donator
  • Gorgeous Gabby
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
Thank you for all of your replies - they have all been really encouraging.

I will take on board what you say about not giving up after the first few lessons. I am sure I will be embarassed on many an occasion with the Gabster.  :005: :005: But hey - I am sure I have been more embaressed by things in the past.  ph34r ph34r

Clare - thankyou for your PM - I am going to contact them.

Kerry xxxxx
Kerry & Gabby xxxxxx

"My little dog---a heartbeat at my feet." - Edith Wharton

Offline mcphee

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »
I love agility, and it is true to say that it is your attitude that will determine whether you enjoy it. I am a very competitive person who has been used to being good at sport all my life, but agility soon taught me a lot of good things. Firstly, accept that you will get things wrong and it is your fault not the dog's. Secondly dogs have off days too, and develop at different levels, sometimes seeming to go backwards. Thirdly, do not decide too early whether you want to do all the competitions. I have got masses out of it at the fun level, and our set up actively discourages competition. We concentrate on developing knowledge of our dog. Just to give you an example, Rufus could easily do all the equipment straight off, although contact points were more difficult for him til we slowed him down. However, close control was an issue when he got excited, so he spent twice as long as the other dogs on the lead. He is now probably the best dog in the class. I still do not want the pressure of competitions. Close control has improved, but as my out door trainer says, once a dog like Rufus knows what to do, and that he cannot get out to do anything more interesting, he will concentrate on it. So,although others have said it has helped them , I have found that his concentration during the run is absolute, but this does not mean his focus is much improved when we are out on walks. There are 8 of us and we have an hour and a quarter. Our trainer used to train agility for Battersey, and has taught us lots of complicated manoeuvres. I find thinking out how I am going to tackle a course satisfying. There is a very long waiting list for our group, as people do not tend to drop out. The trainer also does individual lessons for people waiting to come into a group session, or who want some extra help. I hope you find somewhere that suits you and you enjoy.