Author Topic: When to start competing (agility)?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Oliver21508

When to start competing (agility)?
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
Hiya

I know they have to be over 18 months for normal classes, and 16 months for nursery classes, but I mean how do you know when to compete? Do you know when you get to a certain stage in your training that you feel ready to compete? Or do you just give it a go when the dog reaches the right age?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: When to start competing (agility)?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
Are you still going to training classes? If so, your trainer should be able to tell you if you and Ollie are ready.

There's nothing to stop you entering and competing if you feel you're ready, but there's lots of things to think about, including -

Are you confident that Ollie will stay with you in the ring and not get distracted and run off? Outdoor shows have rings that are basically unfenced as there's usually just a single tape at about human waist height, with enough poles in the ground to stop the tape from flapping about. Apart from the worry of Ollie running loose and getting lost, you won't be popular if he runs into another ring and ruins somebody else's round!

If you go to Kennel Club licenced shows Ollie will have to be officially measured before you can compete. Do you know if he's a medium or large dog?

UKA (UK Agility) shows are more flexible about measuring and your dog can usually be measured at the first show you enter. They also have nursery agility, which doesn't have weaves or seesaw, and some of their jumping classes are only jumps and pipe tunnels. You have to join UKA in order to compete.

Maybe the best idea is to go to a show for a day and see what happens and what the standard of competition is. I think you're in London? There's a UKA Show at Apps Court Farm, Walton On Thames, KT12 2EG next Saturday and Sunday. Maybe you could go and watch.

When I started competing with William I knew he had a bombproof sit wait at the start of a course, I was confident he wouldn't run out of the ring and that he would remain fairly focussed. His weaves were definitely wobbly and seesaw a bit hit and miss. We had a clear and a 5 faults at our first show, but then really struggled for a while because William got very excited at shows and my signals to him were often too vague or too late, not to mention me forgetting the course sometimes! We came though it though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »
Thank you for replying. I'm still going to training classes so I'll see if they think I'm ready. I think he's finishing his teenage phase of ignoring and running off, but it's only been a few days of really good behaviour, so I think I'll wait about a month until I'm sure he's finished his phase. Apparently, Ollie is borderline between a small and medium dog, so he'll definitely need to be measured. My agility trainer is a KC measurer, so when we are ready, we'll get him measured. I might go to that show next sat/sun. Can I take Ollie along as NFC? I think I may wait a couple of months before competing. :)

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi
We started agility in Jan (Dyl was 2 years 10 months then) and in May, my trainer said we should go for a show in July, even though Dyl wasn't/isn't doing proper weave yet, but just to go and get a feel for competing. We did enter a couple of classes with weave and just left them out. We also entered steeplechase and gamblers with no weave. My trainer wanted us to go and just be part of it. She said it's a good idea to go despite not being perfect etc, because next year, when he's improved more, we won't have the fear of entering our first show. I entered 8 classes, 4 were NFC but great for experience. I found it all invaluable. I was absolutely petrified before our first class(!), but Dylan was great. The only down point was at the end of day one when he was tired, and I knew it was not going to go well as he wouldn't do a proper wait. He didn't like the flat tunnel and legged it out of the ring to see my family - obviously had enough! At the time I was so embarrassed but then I realised, if that's the worst then that's fine, he's done it and we survived and he won't be the last to leg it out of the ring either. One thing I took away from the show is that not every dog behaves perfectly. I went there thinking everyone would hav these wonderful dogs that sail around the course, doing exactly what is asked for them, but it's not like that. There's such a mix.
I'm not one to advise on when's best to go to a show with regards to when your dog's ready ie if you have control of him etc, but speaking from my side, I'm really glad to get the first show under my belt. And we loved it! Hope you enjoy it too!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:37:18 PM »
Thank you for replying. I'm still going to training classes so I'll see if they think I'm ready. I think he's finishing his teenage phase of ignoring and running off, but it's only been a few days of really good behaviour, so I think I'll wait about a month until I'm sure he's finished his phase. Apparently, Ollie is borderline between a small and medium dog, so he'll definitely need to be measured. My agility trainer is a KC measurer, so when we are ready, we'll get him measured. I might go to that show next sat/sun. Can I take Ollie along as NFC? I think I may wait a couple of months before competing. :)

As it's a UKA show you can take Ollie along and watch without breaking the rules, which say "Dogs attending shows that are not competing do not need to be entered, nor registered." They usually do measuring on the day, so you might be able to register Ollie with UKA and get him measured while you're there. That's not the same as KC measuring. You have to be KC measured to compete at KC shows and UKA measured to compete at UKA shows!

There are fewer shows during the winter months, so the number of shows starts to tail off about now and picks up again in spring.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
Thank you elaine.e. I think I'll go to that show, it should get him used to the atmosphere, and I'll see what i'm up against. :)

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:44:06 PM »
George had his first show yesterday at UKA ,in a nursery class, he's  only 16 months old, been only training on proper equipment since may, i have been competing for  2 years with my other cocker, he did very well with his first show, althou not clear, and unlike Ellie my older dog, he didn't run out of the ring , he still has a lot to learn ,but there was nothing there yesterday that you don't do at training. Being a nursery class you are able to run your dogs at a lower height if you want  to, the nursery class on sunday is last in  ring 1, if it was like yesterday late in the afternoon, and you can try before you buy, come along and see. I will be there again on sunday

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
What equipment is in the nursery class?

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
jumps, tunnels, A-frame, dogwalk, hopefully later i will post  George's video on youtube so you can see for next week.

here is George's first ever run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_E5QEsJJs