Author Topic: Agility clubs Suffolk/Norfolk  (Read 3293 times)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Agility clubs Suffolk/Norfolk
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
Does anybody on here go to agility clubs in this area?

Also I have a bad knee so no running for me! How would an experienced agility goer teach a dog to jump? Done it with horses but never dogs!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline jujuli

Re: Agility clubs Suffolk/Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
last night I started a new agility class in Great Yarmouth after nearly a years break.  We did agility for more than a year at another centre near Norwich (near Lingwood) but could not attend anymore.  But I think this new centre is quite good and in one session I have picked up a few tips which really helped me gain more control and we really enjoyed it.  Although you are running around with them, at first you are just encouraging them to get used to each piece of equipment one at a time and and when you become a better handler it is more about controlling with commands and hand movements.  It is worth having a look at a few classes to see how its done.  I know that I could not keep up with my dog anyaway he runs so fast so he has to learn to listen to my commands to know where to go next.   I dont know if I am allowed to give the details of the training centre here or do I have to email you with the details if you want them?

Offline jla

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:33:30 AM »
My trainer teaches dogs specifically to work away and independantly so that the handler doesn't have to keep up.  As my trainer always says 'They time the dog not the handler!'

I've seen dogs taught to target a lid or similar first and then use that over one jump, then increase to 2 etc to add distance.

To teach a dog to 'jump' I don't think you actually teach a jump but to always go between the jump wings so we start with a pole on the floor and then move up in height gradually.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
Have you looked at this site below, it has quite a few training schools listed in the Uk, Agility is very addictive once you start and get into the training, We were competing yesterday at Waldridge with 2 of ours and I am still a bit achy in the joints and heavy in the stomach after consuming endless amounts of Bacon sarni's, And it was bloommiiiinnnn fffreeezzzing there from 8am until 4pm, but well worth it though.  ;)

www.agilitynet.co.uk/activepages/clubs.asp

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
Look up Valley Farm Agility Club. It's in Wickham Market. Not sure if its too far from you.

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies! We have found one, the woman who we go training with does a class. The only problem is that it's on the same day as his training class, so it's a fairly expensive day! We are on Norfolk/Suffolk borders which seems to be a bit of a bare spot for any kind of training class but if anyone hears or goes to one it'd be great to know.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
I'd be interested to know what class you go to, as I'm on the Norfolk / Suffolk border too.

I used to go to Waveney club, they trained near Beccles somewhere but I think they got a new venue, and in summer they used to train over Denton way.

Harleston dog training do fun agility on Monday nights in the summer months but it's not really for competition, quite informal.

I'd like to do agility with Tally once she's old enough!

Sophie
x