Author Topic: A new activity for William and me  (Read 1326 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
A new activity for William and me
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
Since we stopped doing agility last summer because of his back problem, closely followed by the arrival of Louis, my lovely William and I haven't spent much quality time together :'(. So we joined the training club that I take Louis to and now we're in their Display Team :D

The team does displays at local village fetes and shows in the New Forest area every summer. William and I are the only new members this year and we had our first training session yesterday. It was fun but exhausting because the rest of the team have already done a couple of training sessions and they're doing 2 routines from previous years, so know them already, but Wills and I are starting from scratch.

One of them is to Queen's "I Want To Break Free" and the other to Shania Twain's "Man I Feel Like A Woman". It's all basic obedience moves for the dogs, so heelwork, sit and down stays, recalls etc., but it's more complicated for us handlers, having to remember what to do and when.

William was totally unfazed by all of it and trotted round by my side with his tail wagging. He's a bit unsure when he's doing a stay and I'm out of his sight sometimes, but not remotely bothered by working closely with the other dogs and having a bunch of women circling round and doing all sorts of manouevres near him :lol2:

We have homework to do before next week. William's is to improve his "downs", which I've never really taught him until now. Mine is to memorize the routines, which are typed out for me. So I'll be practising walking through them in the garden every day this week. Let's hope the neighbours won't be looking :005:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: A new activity for William and me
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »

Great stuff. I am sure you will both enjoy it is a bit like doing HTM working your dog to a music routine

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
Sounds great Elaine & the perfect opportunity for you & William to have quality time together again  :luv:

.......have fun, enjoy & don't worry....I'm sure William will have you trained up in no time  :005:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
Sounds great fun.  :D
You will have to get someone to video it so we can all see your moves  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
Really pleased to read you and William have found something to replace his agility, sounds like he is a pro  :luv:

Hopefully we will get to see some video of you both doing your thing with Louis in the background chewing on a goldfinch  :005:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »
That sounds great, and really good for both of you, so that you can have a bit of bonding time together again. :luv:

I'm enrolling Dougie in agility in May, I'm also looking forward to some me and him time, I think we need to make special time for each dog. :D

Hopefully we will get to see some video of you both doing your thing with Louis in the background chewing on a goldfinch  :005:
I hope nobody decides to bring their pet bird with them to watch the display! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline sazzysue

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
It sounds like a lovely way to have some quality time together  :luv:

Sue & Marlo

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
Sounds a perfect solution! :D

Offline BarbaraW

• Mum of Dennis, black 'n tan show cocker who dances
    • http://www.myspace.com/dennis_barbara
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
I'm sure you guys will have great fun doing this new activity together.