Author Topic: We tried agility for the first time today!  (Read 1455 times)

Offline SandraD

We tried agility for the first time today!
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
As the title says really.  I have been wanting to try agility with Monty for some time and whilst talking to one of the other members of my gold class last week she happened to mention that she did agility with her little border terrior - in my village! ph34r  I have lived here for 9 years and didn't know that I had an agility club almost on my doorstep!! :005:

Monty and I went along with my friend Lucy and her springer, Lollie (all very confusing!) and spent an hour going through the basics and having a general chat.  We had a great time, Monty loved the jumps and tunnel and didn't seem phased by the seesaw at all :blink:.  He even managed to plant his back end/feet on the contact point of the A frame properly so I was one very proud mummy.  It's a shame the same cannot be said for my ability!!!  I honestly do know my left from my right, but all sensible thought went out of the window and several times Monty looked at me as if to say "come on mum, keep up, it's not that difficult!!!!" ph34r :005:

I don't think we did too badly as we have been welcomed back next week - can't wait. :blink:  Will keep you posted!

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: We tried agility for the first time today!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
Well done Monty  :cool4: :cool4: and well done you, I would be the same, I used to have problems with right and left at aerobics  :005:

I'm hoping to do some agility with Ebony when she's old enough (can you believe she's 11 months this week!) and have been talking about going with a friend who has just rescued a year old GSD x. We were going to go to a club locally thats run by a friend of hers, will have to ask where it is, as it may be the same one.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
Well done :banana: :banana:
 it is great fun,Tess loves it,even the seesaw now and it keeps me fit lol ph34r

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »
Great stuff! Im hoping to start agility with Alf when he's old enough, i think he'd be pretty good its just me im worried about :005: xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
what a good start - its so much fun - but only if you can laugh at yourself (and don't mind others laughing with you  :005:)  Its the highlight of my week (how sad am I!) but my coordination and speed is poor in comparison to Taz.  I am hoping Kira is a bit slower, but as she is a bouncy lab i doubt it :005:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »
It sounds like you had a great time  :D

A word of warning though - it can be addictive, then you find yourself entering shows, not that you ever had that in mind when starting training, then comes the 1st rosette & well, there's just no hope after that  :005: & you often find you then need another dog too  :005:
but like Sue says it really is a laugh, I'm often heard saying "left, oh no I meant right, yeah just carry on Max"  :005:
It's a good job he doesn't listen to me sometimes  :lol2:

Sue, I can't imagine Kira being slow, she was so focused watching you last week, anyway it would be boring having a slow dog  :011:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline SandraD

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
I totally agree that being able to laugh at yourself is a MUST!! :lol2:

I haven't had so much fun in ages, mind you, I was exhausted last night!!  I think Lucy and I gave the trainer a good laugh, I think it's a while since she last had "virgin" agility handlers in her field! ph34r :005:

It would be funny if your contact turns out to be the same lady Pam.  I think there is/used to be a club in Paddock Wood somewhere near Mascalls so it might be there, the lady I went to is in the centre of EP, so nice and handy - let me know when you get more info. :blink:

Will let you know how we get on next week. :blink:

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »
Well done to the both of you! 

I totally agree with Maxine though.....it's very addictive.

I had no intention of entering any shows until she dragged me along, next thing I know I've entered a show and got 2 rosettes on my first day!  I was hooked then!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »
Sounds like you had a great time  :D

Like everyone else has said, it's addictive. I think it's also a fantastic way to build up your relationship and partnership with your dog. However good that relationship already is, it will get even better as Monty learns to focus on you and you learn how powerful and important your body language is to him.

I think that's a bit of a clumsy explanation from me, but you'll recognise what it's like when it happens. In the meantime, prepare yourself for loads of embarrassment and laughs when you get your lefts and rights muddled up, forget the course, trip over jumps because you're looking ahead at the next obstacle and trip over Monty because he's decided that he wants to go a different way (or was that just me and William) :lol2:

I'm really pleased for you  :luv: and a bit jealous too because William and I had the greatest time training and competing until his back injury stopped us.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »
Yey! It's great fun isn't it.. I haven't done it with Dave, although I suspect he'd love it but I've done it with Normy. She was brilliant and was jump weaving first go and even up on a high walk way without any problems but like everything with Normy.... she got bored, then got stressed and threw herself on the ground and lost interest ::) :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
Yey! It's great fun isn't it.. I haven't done it with Dave, although I suspect he'd love it but I've done it with Normy. She was brilliant and was jump weaving first go and even up on a high walk way without any problems but like everything with Normy.... she got bored, then got stressed and threw herself on the ground and lost interest ::) :lol:

::) What a madam!  :005:  There is a lady at our club who has 5 Weims, she does it with 3 of them and they look fab doing it!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline SandraD

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »

Sorry, that made me laugh Hannah, I now can't get the picture of Normy throwing herself to the ground having a strop out of my head!! :005: :005:

Your post made perfect sense Elaine, having got myself in a muddle this week with the basics, I don't even want to think about how confusing it's going to get once we have moved up a gear - and yes, I have already tripped up Monty as I headed the wrong way!! :lol2:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »

Sorry, that made me laugh Hannah, I now can't get the picture of Normy throwing herself to the ground having a strop out of my head!! :005: :005:

She does it at nearly every class she's been to tbh  ph34r Heelwork to music was the most embarrassing (not really my sort of thing but out of desperation thought I'd try it in our early days together as I was trying (too hard) everything to get her bond with me and she'd had enough of obedience ::).) She went through my legs 4 times (she had to bend down to it it ph34r) then did a circle once. We then had a demonstration from a perfect poodle and it's matching owner at which point she threw me a filthy 'You must be joking' look, did a massive loud huff and she just went down rolled on the floor and wouldn't get up until we left... She's even done it a gundog classes, she just doesn't like having to perform in front of other dogs... or do 'silly' things she can't see the point in :005:  :shades: I'm learning slowly that she's happiest as a loner doing her own thing in the forest... alone :005: And I have to say, I can totally see where she's coming from sometimes :lol2: :005:

Can't wait to hear how Monty gets on... think we need some pics of him in action soon! :D :D

Good luck!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x