Author Topic: Agility assessment  (Read 1294 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Agility assessment
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
Have decided to give agility a go with Barney and Pippa.  Pippa has to wait until she is 6 months in a month's time to join the puppy pre-agility class but Barney is having an assessment for the club on Monday.  I didn't realise we would have to do an assessment before we would be allowed to join.  Does anyone have any idea what this might involve please so we could do some practice?

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Agility assessment
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
no idea - when we joined our club, we just went into beginners  :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline jla

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
I would guess whether you have a half decent wait / stay, will he recall and generally how do the two of you interact.  I doubt it's anything major but you do need a measure of offlead control for agility so they are probably just checking that.

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
It could also to be to assess his temperament, the last thing they need at a class is a dog that is aggresive towards other dogs. 

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
Thanks.  His stay his okay but I think we better do more work on recall over the weekend...

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
Well, Barney passed the assessment.  Now we just have to go on the waiting list for when they next have a place free.   :D

He was quite distracted because it is in an equine centre and he wanted to eat and sniff the floor covering but if he can get over that I think it will be okay.  We just walked about, did sits and then had a go at some low jumps, the tunnel and weave poles.  He seemed to enjoy it.

Not sure how Pippa will go on with the flooring situation though as she is tends to vacuum up anything not glued down.  I think I need to work on her "leave" command over the next month.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »
Well done & hope you don't have to wait too long

We've done some indoor shows at equine centres & unfortunately the spaniel nose can often take over, having said that it will when he's outdoors too so I just have to get used to it
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline jla

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Well done!  Lots and lots of smelly treats or an irresistable toy along with lots of small quick exercises and I am sure he will be over the sniffing in no time  ;)