Author Topic: Bingley's been talent spotted  (Read 1299 times)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Bingley's been talent spotted
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
Hi all

Bingley is finishing up his puppy classes, and today he had a confidence building session, lots of distractions etc. anyway, they had a couple of poles set up (just as an unfamiliar object more than anything), a tunnel, and a little a frame (meants to resemble a bridge). He LOVED it and actually started weaving the poles! The leader of the agility classes asked us if we'd consider agility classes and she thought he seemed to have good potential. Proud mama  :lol2: I'm conscious that he's still young (coming up to 6 months) and we don't want to over do it or take away the fun element for him. Is there anything we could do at home to see how he gets on? Obviously keeping up with really getting his basic commands solid. Just wondered if anyone had any tips?

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline black taz

Re: Bingley's been talent spotted
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »
I would avoid full weaves if i were you as apparently it is quite hard on the spine whilst they are  young.  however, you could just get two poles and practice the entry from different angles.  I am sure someone can advise you on the 2 x 2 training technique.  I think Top Barks posted a video of training one of his dogs weave entries using this techniques (not sure how to find it though).

would highly recommend agility when he is old enough though - my two love it, in fact it is the only time Kira barks when we are getting ready to go out when she knows it is agility time

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
I make up myown indoor agility course with chair legs, under the coffee table,  under blankets  over the broom handle  and through the hoop.   The dogs love it and then they hunt for treats under newspapers.

Offline liamsmum

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
I bought a tunnel and a hoop jump from ebay and a made a few jumps up as Liam loves it at my group they have to be a year old before they can start proper agility but in obediance class we do a bit A frame tunnel and a few little jumps he gets so excited he is beside himself when its his turn he is 7 months old.

Offline KayJay

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »
It's not a good idea to have pups jumping, certainly not in a repetitive fashion, before their growth plates have closed at 12 months or so, neither should they be weaving. There are lots of things you could teach though....a good really solid wait and release (for start lines), build play drive and tugging, racing to a food target or toy on the ground (forward focus), running out and round a cone/waste paper bin/chair (learning to work away from you), lots of confidence building and body awareness stuff (introducing to planks/boards on the floor or on little bricks, things that wobble, going through hoops held at floor level, climbing in boxes and bowls etc), teaching tricks like walking backwards, targeting with rear feet, spin left and right, etc. We made some little videos as we were training Dazzle and Whirli, this is the first one (they were about 4.5 months here), might give you some ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgt7lBLw54w Bear in mind we were doing the stuff with equipment only about once a week in very short bursts with lots of play and breaks in between (wait/release, circle work etc more often at home). The "jump" grid you see in later vids was literally just 4 or 5 passes through, once a week or less, over guttering pipe so no real jumping. As you can see, it's all a huge game, they just adore it!

As for weaving, leave it until Bingley is at least a year old....even using two just for entries will stuff things up if you're planning to teach 2x2s later, staying too long at the first gate results in a dog that just charges poles. Susan Garrett says wait till at least 14 months, which is what I did with Dazzle, and she learned to weave so quickly and so confidently, great entries etc.
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk