Author Topic: Beginning of a (possible) journey!  (Read 3639 times)

Offline kjaddison

Beginning of a (possible) journey!
« on: September 18, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
Just a quick hello! I've been lurking in the background for a week or so now. Working through the vast array of posts! Some great information.

My kids are 10 and 8, and they are at that age when they are taking a real interest in dogs. (Real interest = constant nagging to get a dog!)

A Cocker Spaniel seems to tick many of our boxes!

I am no where near deciding if getting a dog is the correct thing for us... some of the posts I have read would put anyone off!  :005:

Offline pibbo1968

Re: Beginning of a (possible) journey!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
My wife has always said she didn't like Dogs as she was brought up in a Cat household.My kids(now 17 and 10) started pestering about 5 or 6 years ago.We visited my Aunt in France who has a Border Collie and Labrador and she saw how much my son(then 5) interacted with them that she started coming around.It took another three years of thinking about it then last year we were at my Aunts again and she just said "we should get a dog"!
I've always loved WCS so we started looking last August.We found a local lady with a litter last September and went to have a look.We had a choice of three and a little Blue Roan just took to my son straight away,We picked him up at 8 weeks and named him Jura after the region in France where my Aunt lives :shades:
12 months on and my wife is totally different!He's a real mum's dog and it's like she's had them all her life!

Cockers can be "difficult" when really young but honestly the good far outweighs the bad!You'll not find a more loyal dog and IMO they're a perfect family dog :shades:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
Welcome to you both...........having a cocker spaniel is indeed a journey, for me I love their spirit and they are a very loving dog and clever - sometime to clever  :005:

What you need to do is think whether it is a working cocker spaniel or a show cocker spaniel, while naturally they both need exercise - worth looking at the ins and out of both.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »
Hi and welcome! Absolutely agree with the last two comments, they do indeed need a little more time and attention than some other breeds, they can also be quite challenging when they?re still young but will reward you a hundredfold for your efforts and are loving, sociable and charming family dogs, - whatever your mood, they?ll never fail to put a smile on your face!
Should you decide, there?s always bags of really good advice on here, so stick with us! Best of luck, keep us posted!

Offline kjaddison

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 04:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

At the moment I would say I was edging towards a working cocker spaniel. 

Can anyone talk me through what is "difficult" about them when they are young? (Compared to any other breed of dog...)

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
They(WCS at least) go through a Cockerdile phase.They don't tend to bite maliciously but their little puppy teeth are like razors.You think it will never end but it does!They chew and destroy even "indestructible" toys!We've spent pounds  and the only thing that survived is a Deer Antler(best 15 quid spent and should have bought first) and his Tea-Towel and Teddy that he brought with him from his birth home.Strange how he seems to leave them alone in his bed.
Some might chew furniture but many don't.You'll find you have dozens of single socks,I've no idea why but they love socks...and shoes.....and flip-flops :005:
The first few months can be the most trying but you will forgive everything they do as you just can't resist that face :luv:
They are VERY intelligent,loving dogs and your life will not be the same again but you won't regret it.
Oh and water/mud they're drawn to it :lol2:
*FAO Moderators.Forum does not recognise pound sign on either laptop nor phone it changes it to a ? on posting?*

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »
*FAO Moderators.Forum does not recognise pound sign on either laptop nor phone it changes it to a ? on posting?*

Not a mod but it might be due to the fact the forum is SMF software and it could that the soft ware has the US in mind.....just a thought, have noticed a few wierd signs in text of late.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »
We have an eight month old Working Cocker and have had two Show cockers in the past ( also a working springer and a terrier who never quite got the idea that she wasn?t in charge!). The worker is just slightly nuttier than the Show cockers were but in a nice way  :011: .  She is actually less of a chewer than the first dog we had, basically I think because she hates anti chew spray.... and I agree with Pibbo1968, split antlers are our best friend and well worth what they cost.
We are having to put the hours in training her and she can be challenging sometimes..... but so could the others and she is the sweetest most affectionate girl and extremely intelligent.  Just when you are tearing your hair out she shows glimpses of the dog she is going to grow into and you know it is so worth it.
To be honest both types are lovely and we still had to train the show cockers we had so work wise I haven?t found too much of a difference yet.  Yes she is drawn to water but our second show cocker used to be drawn to fox and badger poo.. once famously when my in laws were dog sitting and had driven to the park with some of their friends and they had to stretch the one bottle of water they had in the car to wash an extremely happy smelly spaniel before he could be put back in their NEW car  :005:.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »
Show probably needs a little more time for grooming I think as the coat is generally a bit thicker/longer...

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
Working strain are bred to be working dogs so you can get high drive busy dogs that don't settle and don't make ideal pets for first time dog owners.

They need as much mental stimulation as physical stimulation.
helen & jarvis x

Offline kjaddison

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the view points on show and working cockers.

I've seen the phrase 'not ideal for first time owners' quite a few times.  What is it exactly that would make a working cocker more difficult for a first timer?

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the view points on show and working cockers.

I've seen the phrase 'not ideal for first time owners' quite a few times.  What is it exactly that would make a working cocker more difficult for a first timer?
As Helen said WCS need a lot of mental and physical stimulation.That said there are WCS who parents aren't actually worked(like ours).Even so you can see it's in their blood.Jura is in and out of everything,walks/runs with nose to the ground constantly sniffing away!He loves having his toys hidden in the house/Garden so he can find them.
Jura is only 12 months old but already has three long walks day.He's off his lead running for 99% of each walk.A short 15 minute stroll around the block is no good for a WCS!He probably has 2.5-3hrs walking now and then he's in an out of the garden all day too.
I was talking to a lady out on a local trail(Trans-Pennine Trail) who regularly cycles 20 miles along the trail with her WCS happily trotting along side her!

Offline kjaddison

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
Thanks Pibbo1968.

That's the kind of dog I think we would want.  We are active family, but want to get out more.  I would love a dog to run or cycle with!

I'm getting carried away now. I think I need to get out an meet some dogs and their owners! :)