Author Topic: well...we did it! our first day out beating....  (Read 17812 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
well...we did it! our first day out beating....
« on: November 12, 2006, 03:27:31 PM »
yesterday jarv and i, armed with a long line, went out for our first days beating.

as some of you will know i was *slightly* nervous  ::) :o as the shoot is run by o.h's brother and the gamekeeper only happens to be jarv's breeder (and jarv barks at fireworks so i had a sneaking suspicion he may have been slightly gunshy!)

....anyway.... we both had a BRILLIANT time, it was evident that this was jarv's calling in life!  he was sceptical about the noise of the guns but he's worked out that guns equals pheasants so his ears prick up and his tail wags now whenever he hears a shot.  we have an awful lot more training to do before i would be happy letting him be offlead for a whole drive but he learnt a lot from his beautiful mum who was the star dog of the day :luv:

after the traditional shoot dinner (90% alcohol, 10% food  :005:) i spoke with gamekeeper and he was happy to have us back at every shoot - so guess what i'm doing now until jan on every second saturday :shades: (we 'passed' the test!!!)

next time we'll be behind the guns, and jarv and i will learn how to remain calm and stay at heel ('whatever.....' sez jarv ::) - he is on a sharp learning curve!) when the birds are being retrieved.  I do want to train him to pick up, as i think this is something he would really love as he is retrieval mad.

our drives took us through every kind of terrain possible - i am aching in places i didn't know i could ache, and jarv has this 'i AM a working boy' strut about him...but please please don't make me go through double barbed wire fences for at least a couple of days....

(...and i got to squidge 'tab', ellie and fudges liver roan brother who is  :luv: , and after many samples of sloe gin)

...so this week, we will mostly be doing heel walking off lead, waiting, stopping and a bit of dummy retrieval  ;) and a few walks via pheasant country on lead...
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: well...we did it! our first day out beating....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:29:45 PM »
Yey!! Sounds superb!!  :D :D

Well done Jarv  :-*

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 03:33:48 PM »
Oh hun, so glad it went well, I was thinking of you and Jarv yesterday, but I knew he would be a star! :luv:

OOOO he is going to be a proper trained gundog - how exciting!!

Well done you, how fantastic! :-* :-* :-*
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
So glad you enjoyed it.It is a proper workout isn't it, better than a trip to the gym.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
Thats fantastic, what a great thing to be involved in.  Well done to you both  ;)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »
Sounds like great fun --- any pix of the Jarv and his mum
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline EmC

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

Well done Jarvis  :luv:

Emma and a very jealous Jarvis

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
Sounds like great fun --- any pix of the Jarv and his mum

pix maybe next time ;) if you can bear a photo of a lovely mucky little brown dog and his owner who HAS been dragged through  a hedge backwards - and forwards, and sideways (and through hawthorn bushes, barbed wire, killer brambles, thistles. nettles, holly bushes and the biggest sticky burrs in the world....o.h was fondly picking 'nature' off me AND jarv all last night!)

thanks for all your posts guys - if you ever get the opportunity to go to a shoot do it.  it is fantastic watching working dogs work - people often say that their dogs just 'love it' and they're right - it was a completely new level of sheer dog joy to me! A lot of their reactions are instinctive and surprisingly very controlled, and they switch off from all the other dogs around them and are really  focused on their handler.  Even jarv ignored the other dogs until they could have a sniff and play at lunch.

...apparently i have a couple of years hard work and at 4 or 5 years old jarv will be at his best (lots of work before then!) .  We were beating with 3 springers who were 10 years old and they were like 2 year olds in body and spirit!

helen & jarvis x

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:22:28 PM »
Well done Helen and Jarvis, maybe one day I will get mocha out there to, although I think I'd better have this baby first! Can't seem me getting over any fences in this state, flatten them maybe! :005:
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »
Well done Helen, and Jarvis - it sounds great fun  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 05:50:15 PM »
Is there anything that Jarvis Cocker can't do :005: :005:, Dog model turned serious worker.

Sounds like you had a lovely day, is Jarv tired now because I think it would have finished Mikey off to have a day out beating.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Penel

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
Well done mate ;)  Hattie says she is very proud of her boyf  :luv:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 07:13:23 PM »
well done both. before you know it you will be entering trials with this boy!! hes a born star... ( but I always knew that!) :luv:
 prickly bushes are hellish especially with a long line you get more stabs trying to untangle it. its impossible in thick whins/gorse. :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »
well done both. before you know it you will be entering trials with this boy!! hes a born star... ( but I always knew that!) :luv:
 prickly bushes are hellish especially with a long line you get more stabs trying to untangle it. its impossible in thick whins/gorse. :005:

awww thanks jean!  won't aim as high as trials just yet, but am aiming to get him half as good (and happy in his work) as his mum is  - that's good enough for me ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 07:57:29 PM »
Well done Jarvis, you superstar  :shades:

Glad you both had a good day  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx