Author Topic: Kenneled or inside?  (Read 13964 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Kenneled or inside?
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »
and that can happen even if they don't bark... I know several people whose neighbours have made complaints and they have had to install security cameras to check what their dogs are doing a costly exercise if the neighbours are aggravating the dogs.  Some people are terribly intolerant and will complain for the sake of it.

Our courts are terrible for their levying of justice with regard to dog cruelty, look at that chap who killed all those greyhounds and buried them in his grounds he got away with a fine that would only have been a dip in the change pocket in comparison to what he'd have earnt killing them... :'( :'(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »
Our courts are terrible for their levying of justice with regard to dog cruelty, look at that chap who killed all those greyhounds and buried them in his grounds he got away with a fine that would only have been a dip in the change pocket in comparison to what he'd have earnt killing them... :'( :'(

To be fair, he wasn't on trial for cruelty.....as there was no evidence to prove that the dogs suffered. He was fined for Health and Safety breached in relation to the disposal of the dogs bodies  :-\

Shooting any animal is not considered cruel (which will be a relief to all those who go beating with their dogs), and although the stories about how he treated the dogs prior to their deaths are horrific, there was no evidence to present to a court which would have allowed animals cruelty charges to be brought. Hopefully, the new legislation will better protect animals in cases like this - but there will always be people who find a way around it  :-\

Apologies Mods - Off topic, I know  ph34r ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
i live in the middle of nowhere fields two sides of me for about 5 miles and my neighbour is so deaf we can hear his music and telly in our house so dont think he could really complain lol

Offline spacefaer

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
Sweep the working cocker-to be (once he grows up  :005:) lives in the house - he has a crate in the kitchen for when I'm not with him - he has a terrifying tendency to try to join whatever work I'm doing in the kitchen if he's loose.  I was at the sink a couple of weeks ago, hot soapy water in the basin, when a blue roan cocker appeared next to me - he and I looked at his soapy feet and he was removed to his crate!  If I leave the house and my OH is not home, then Sweep comes with me.

When my OH was field trialling English setters & pointers, he also had cockers and flat coats too.  The setters and pointers were kennelled and the flatties and cockers lived in.  Ever tried having 4 flat coats in a house?  The trial dogs (approx 16 of them) also worked on grouse moors as hired dogs for shoots.  They were truly working dogs and no way could they all have been in the house.  However, once they got old and retired (obviously not all at once) they could come in and be house dogs.  Remarkably, having been kennelled all their lives, they were very clean almost from the first day, as they were naturally clean in the kennels.

We are hopefully getting another cocker next week and he'll be in the house.

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »
isnt a crate a little small for a dog????

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2007, 03:12:22 PM »
isnt a crate a little small for a dog????

"Crates" for dogs are specifically designed - and come in different sizes for different breeds - giant breed crates are 4 feet long  :D

Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2007, 08:17:32 PM »
my dogs have always been inside dogs, but my FIL had all his greyhounds kenneled outside, he was always very good with them but did not believe in having them inside. His kennels were all heated and had lighting in them too. Mind you I don't think 6 people and 38 greyhounds could have really lived all together in one house. :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2007, 08:47:37 PM »
yeah but you couldnt leave a dog in a four foot long crate for very long.

could you???

i wouldnt >:(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
yeah but you couldnt leave a dog in a four foot long crate for very long.

could you???

i wouldnt >:(

No, I agree - but why would you want to shut a pet up in a kennel, either?
Oldies Club

Offline spacefaer

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
Sweep is only in his crate when he's not with me - I never said it was for any length of time - and it is for his safety rather than my convenience.  It is huge - we've lost access to half the kitchen it seems - and was designed for a Great Dane or something.  He can lie down at full stretch and not touch both ends - once he's more grown up and settled, he will not be using it!  When our new cocker arrives this week, he will also hopefully show Sweep the error of his ways in trying to get pans off the gas stove or his toys off the kitchen table and keep him slightly more earthbound  :-\  !!

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 09:39:22 PM »
ummmmmmmmm because he might chew things when your not there unfortunatly you cant take your dog everywhere with you and dogs bein dogs will chew and be naughty sometimes and having a kennel which is massive like ours its bigger than bein inside and is also nice for the dog on a sunny day. :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 09:51:20 PM »
ummmmmmmmm because he might chew things when your not there unfortunatly you cant take your dog everywhere with you and dogs bein dogs will chew and be naughty sometimes and having a kennel which is massive like ours its bigger than bein inside and is also nice for the dog on a sunny day. :D

How long would you leave a puppy alone in an outdoor kennel? Longer than a crate indoors?  :huh:
Oldies Club

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 02:02:12 AM »
exactly.... 'out of sight out of mind' comes to mind so to speak >:(

I use my crates for the following:

Dogs to sleep in at night - closed doors so I get a decent nights sleep four in the bed is too kinky for me

Short periods when training to avoid Separation Anxiety

Emergencies - like when I'm hoovering... a rarity but it does happen

when the cat has his tea - otherwise three in a bowl he doesn't get any

individual training - puppy in the house they both need individual house training I've one set of hands

When I go out - its rare I go out without my dogs but when I do I want to know they are safe, its is also for the benefit of security when the idiots here set the fire alarms off in case of a true emergency my neighbours and security will come in and remove both my dogs for me.

When they are ill and I have to restrict movement - it happens to us all at some point that dread elisabethan collar and the task of restricted movement for a few weeks or days best to be prepared.

Other than that my dogs are out and free but a crate has its uses.  Mine have oversized crates the ones that should be recommended for them I think are too small Ayla has one for a weimaraner dog and bonnie has one for a great dane dog that way they can move around and can stretch out completely without touching the sides either up or out.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 08:20:49 AM »
I have a 36 " crate I think it is.

Fern to sleep in at night

Short periods when training to avoid Separation Anxiety

individual training - puppy in the house they both need individual house training I've one set of hands

When I go out - its rare I go out without my dogs but when I do I want to know they are safe, (only ever go out for max of 2 hours  ;) )

When they are ill and I have to restrict movement - it happens to us all at some point and the task of restricted movement for a few weeks or days best to be prepared.
(which as she has stitches at the mo, due to being spayed I can put her in if the dogs start playing too rough.)

Other than that they have full run of the downstairs.
But I also have an outside kennel and run which they are only in on their own when I am outside in the garden and want to get something done with out nosey dogs getting in the way  ;)

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/cottonjolly/?action=view&current=ferninnewpaddock.flv

Think the run is a bit small tho not  :005:  :005:  :005:

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
i wouldnt leave a puppy in one for very long yet i would leave a DOG for longer and as both me and my oh have to work it works for us i dont think its cruel at all as long as your dog is happy out there and doesnt whine and cry cant see the problem as for safety dont really have to worry about that the pen and back garden is very safe plus theres farm workers around my home all day and if you go shopping at a super market you cant a dog in with you and i would rather leave him at home where he feels safe then in a car park in my car where im guessing he might get a bit worried.