Author Topic: Gundog activities for a show cocker  (Read 1748 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Gundog activities for a show cocker
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »
Zorro's 7 months and a show cocker but seems to have pretty strong gundog instincts, he's a very natural retriever and will search and search until he finds whatever you've hidden for him. I'd really like to give him some gundog type activities to do so that he can use his natural skills. I have a whistle (he's not yet trained to this) and he's very good at finding and retrieving a puppy dummy, but what other kinds of things can I do to challenge his little noddle?

He's a very enthusiastic boy so it would be great to do something with him - not in a competitive way but just to enhance his natural instincts.

Any ideas?  :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Gundog activities for a show cocker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »
can you find a local gundog class?  That would be the best thing.  I think its lovely to have a show dog being given this opportunity  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Gundog activities for a show cocker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:07:56 PM »
A class would be a good idea but there are lots of things you can do yourself as well. Retrieving from water and heavy cover being two that mine enjoy. Make him sit, throw the dummy into some dense cover and then send him in to get it. Make him sit, throw the dummy back behind you then walk on for a while and then send him back for it. Make him wait, go and hide the dummy yourself, don't let him see where it is and then encourage him to seek it out. If you need any hints or tips PM me, I'm by no means an expert but I'm doing this stuff every day with Alfie and Tilly  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/