Author Topic: Jarvis and shotguns  (Read 1654 times)

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
Jarvis and shotguns
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:06:59 AM »
Was my birthday yesterday (30... boo hoo) and Emma had arranged for all my friends to go clay pigeon shooting (as a surprise to me!!). Took Jarvis with us with the view to getting him used to gun noises.

The chap there rightly said that if you weren't careful, you could ruin a dog by frightening them. Advised us to start from a good distance, then bring him forward bit by bit, treating and petting all the way.

To cut a long story short, within 5 minutes, Jarvis was within 6 feet of the guns and fell asleep.  :005: Really bothered him, then...
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Jarvis and shotguns
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:18:07 AM »
fabulous!!!  Its great when they have no fear at all but he was right it can so easily ruin a dog.  I start mine off with banging lots of pots and pans when they are babies and then I take them clay pigeon shooting waiting about half a mile away from the stands so that they get used to playtime with all the noise in the distance.  I slowly move a bit further forward until they are pretty much sitting on the stand :D :D

Ayla thinks its all great and gets very excited about the guns coming out, bonnie well she stops hunting prefering to keep the gun company as sooner or later something is going to drop from the sky ::) ::)  hard work this rough shooting lark!!

Good luck and well done with your progress so far!!

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:48:57 AM »
It was all we could do to stop him chasing the clays...
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline beth@dallas

• Site Member
  • Beth on her first day at her new home!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:14:42 PM »
HEHE!!!!  Classic!!  My Dad had a Springer when I was growing up....she was never scared of the noise either......shame he had to stop taking her after a year------she used to take off, chase all the pheasants for 10-15 minutes before coming back thoroughly chuffed with herself!  My dad's comment about the other shooters was 'if looks could kill'.

Bless....good luck with that challenge next!!  hehe!

Jill