Author Topic: what age did your wc start trialling or working?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline moola

what age did your wc start trialling or working?
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
Our breeder took hers beating at 10mths.  My trainer and other gundog/shooting type friends were horrified when I mentioned this. Min 2 years most reckoned otherwise, a working cocker gets too excited and basically loses the plot and will be ruined (and I'll never be invited back to the shoot).
I'm trying to pull a training schedule together but am a bit lost due to this differing advice.....hope you don't mind me being nosey but when did you take yours and how did it go? 
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: what age did your wc start trialling or working?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
I see that Nicola is viewing your thread, so I'm sure she will offer good advice. Just wanted to say that 2 of Chloe's littermates were trained to beat/pick up by the time they were a year old  :dunno:
Will watch your thread with interest  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
took mine out at 13 months and it was difficult - breeder is the gamekeeper on the shoot and it was at his suggestion (he was impressed with Jarv so that was nice!).  2nd season was better when he was just over 2 - now Jarvis is 4 he (and I) are much better trained and thoroughly enjoy it  ;)

It totally depends on the individual dog.
helen & jarvis x

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
I might be wrong but I didn't think you were allowed to do full agility at 10 months - surely taking such a young dog to do a strenuous job places strain on its developing joints?

I freely admit to knowing very little about working but I know it's hard work for a dog - I don't think I personally would choose to take such a young dog out for such a hard day.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
I might be wrong but I didn't think you were allowed to do full agility at 10 months - surely taking such a young dog to do a strenuous job places strain on its developing joints?

I freely admit to knowing very little about working but I know it's hard work for a dog - I don't think I personally would choose to take such a young dog out for such a hard day.

Young working cockers can easily do a days work - they may not necessarily do all the drives if they're tiring (some do and some don't ) but I would say that it's great experience for them (and you) to do a couple of drives (even if they're on lead at first).
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
It can depend on the dog and the training level its reached but personally mine go out on shoots at two years or very close thereabouts, I don't like rushing them and I want them to be rock steady by the time they get on a shoot. I do take them out a few times on lead to watch a few drives from about a year old but they don't actually get to do anything (actually tell a lie Rodaidh did a couple of drives his first season but I kept him on lead to start with and really close to me and he's an exceptionally steady and biddable dog, I think he came out of the womb that way :005:). In terms of actually working properly Alfie went on his first shoot at 23 months, Rodaidh at 21 months and Caoimhe is now 11 months and although she is a cracking little dog with trialling potential who has been shot over and is hunting really well and retrieving game (so in theory is trained to shoot level) I wouldn't take her on a shoot at this age, next season is plenty of time. Being taken out too early is the ruin of a lot of potentially good dogs. I have run them in field tests at a younger age though, Rodaidh did the first two levels of the Gundog Club field tests at 11 months old and he's since run in a few other club tests and Caoimhe will do the same thing this year; tests use dummies rather than game though.

Running in field trials is a different kettle of fish, unless you've done it before your dog will probably need some level of professional training to get to the required standard. I thought Caoimhe had potential so had her assessed by her sire's owner who is one of the main Cocker trainers in the UK when she was 7 months old and he really liked her so she just came back from spending 6 weeks down with him. He wants to trial her next season and she's shaping up well but she's going to need a lot more training to get the polish they need to have a hope of getting anywhere in a trial. I can train a dog to a pretty good field test standard and I'll hopefully get to trial standard as a handler myself some day but it's hard to get into and the standard is incredibly high.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline moola

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »
many kind thanks for all your replies.  There is a similar thread on a lab forum at the mo and most people seem to be of the 'train well and wait' opinion - esp some of the very experienced trainers.
I think this would be the best route for me esp as this will be my first cocker...and I'll work on this basis.
I guess my main concern was making sure I got the most out of my little dog and did the best by him.  If he's got the ability - I'd hate to waste it.  I am so hooked  :banana: :banana: :banana:   

Offline millrace

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:57 PM »
well now......tia was pigeon shooting at about 7 mnths and on the shoot at 11....now others may dissagree but as she is for rough shooting and is essentially a working dog (ie I shoot, she flushes and retrieves) there was no point in holding her back to 2 yrs and then finding she was gunshy or not up to all that goes on in a shoot as livercake says there more than up for it and very able....field trailing is very different so depends what kind of working dog you want....can honnestly say now in her second season if there is a bird in a hedge she doesent miss it.......joy to watch that sudden stop sniff and dive into cover and bird rise whether pheasant or woodcock or duck from the flight pond......just a pity my shooting isnt as good as her nose.......lol

just rem there not labs so dont compare them with what labs can do...completely different...was at gundog training during summer and the trainer was a retriever man,,,,,he just couldnt get that the cocker was not going to do 80yd retrieves or wait while he thru 12 dummies round the field....enjoy them for what they are....
brillant little workers......
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
Jack went out at 21mths  :D

In theory he probably could of gone out last season but I wanted to hang back and make sure he was fully ready.

Hoping to get Brie out for some experience end of this season and she will be about 18mths but it will just be walking a few drives on lead.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »
he just couldnt get that the cocker was not going to do 80yd retrieves or wait while he thru 12 dummies round the field....

Mine do :lol2: I don't expect Lab style working from them (I like Labs but I'm definitely not a 'Lab person'!) but Caoimhe's going back 100 yards to marked and blind retrieves now and they'll all sit steady to dummies being thrown all around them. Tilly has been used as a peg dog and she's a pretty good one.  

I understand what you're saying about roughshooting but I don't think you actually have to take them out beating to know if they're gunshy or capable enough, mine are all introduced to gunshot at a young age without actually having to go on a shoot and I know from their training how they're shaping up as workers or potential workers; they all get shot over and I start them on clipped pigeons. Horses for courses though, my lot do a bit of roughshooting but they're mostly for bigger driven shoots and hopefully competitions for Caoimhe.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline moola

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »
I'm hoping to get to a local trial soon to see that side of things and see what is expected - cocker wise (probably far more than I can achieve).  We've also been firing over him and he's been near pidgeon scarers without batting an eyelid so I think he's not going to be gunshy.  I've just got to talk to some shoot people to see if I could get him out so that he start 'seeing' things.
All in good time though  ;)
Know what you mean about the lab thing, very different - I can't get over how close this little cocker stays to me.  I can already see that distance stops and retrieves will be challenging....

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
I'm hoping to get to a local trial soon to see that side of things and see what is expected - cocker wise (probably far more than I can achieve).  We've also been firing over him and he's been near pidgeon scarers without batting an eyelid so I think he's not going to be gunshy.  I've just got to talk to some shoot people to see if I could get him out so that he start 'seeing' things.
All in good time though  ;)
Know what you mean about the lab thing, very different - I can't get over how close this little cocker stays to me.  I can already see that distance stops and retrieves will be challenging....

aaah you might say that now - just wait till he's about 8 months old and he can cover distance three times as fast as a lab  :lol2: :lol2:

when you get a chance please post his pedigree and some pics  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline moola

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
I will Livercake - I promise!  If only he could stay still enough for me to take a pic.  The moment he sees the camera it turns into a huge game and he tries to jump up, get the stringy bit or (if I am crouching down) come and paw the thing away from me  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
And doing ANYTHING secretly with him is just  ::)

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:40 PM »
No two dogs will be ready at the same time, they're all individual. Mines 16 months now but he won't be going beating until next season. My OH always says 'No one ever spoilt a dog by takng it beating too late'.
Milly

Offline moola

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
I like that line Milly :)
I don't know if this is OK here (I hope so) but we did ask the permission from the lady who wrote it on lab forums by Dianna of Wylan Briar labs.  Someone was asking something quite similar and I thought it was an excellent reply and maybe of interest to others .... some of it relates to other previous posts but I hope you get the gist of it....  It certainly helped me make up my mind last night :)

Posted: 2009-12-22, 15:48:47    Post subject:      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think what is important to bear in mind is the whole point of gundog training is never to challenege a dogs self control to the extent that they will fail. And failing, in this game, is developing the problems listed above. One or all of them. An 8 month old has little self control. The same way self control needs teaching to any young mammal by a senior figure. Its something that needs stepping up and up very slowly. The huge adrenaline rush of a shoot, and even more so of a runner bird where every instinct is screaming in your dog anyway is challeneging that self control to breaking point.

The test, more importantly as to whether it is 'working' to take your puppy out, is if you next time ask them to remain sat up and leave a runner that screams past them. The reaction THEN is the one to judge if the dog is being rushed on, not whether they got the runner sent for and handled it. Then if they can let two go by, then three before being sent for a fourth etc etc. Chances are thats when you will see the harm done rather than the times the dog CAN go for the bird.

The thing being many guns, and this is no insult, have dogs that are very unsteady, make a lot of noise and have little discipline out, so mug others dogs left right and centre etc etc, charge about aimlessly, run in after every bird that drops etc. This is especially on smaller shoots where this sort of thing is allowed, where as on a bigger shoot the dog would be ordered to be left at home. The reason for it, is usually the gun has been in a huge hurry to get the dog out shooting and done next to no homework. Or done a bit of homework, then rushes it out shooing its first year and over the course of two or three shoots the homework vanishes because at a young age, it is built on sand not concrete as nothing is fully installed.

It really depends where you want to go with it. IF you are prepared to take the chance of the dog starting to react to the adrenaline that, chances are, they are not mature enough to control, then of course you can take them shooting. But it would be much better to gently ease them into challenging situations by giving them a background of months of solid gundog training and then drop them in a drive at a time. But if whining doesn't matter etc then you probably don't have a lot to lose.

However if you wish to compete with the dog in tests or trials in any way leave them home for months and months yet. Give them a fighting chance to come out mature and ready to cope. Whats the rush? Its about introducing them to managing their 'emotions and keeness' under false circumstances that you can walk away from. Artifical shot. Cold game. Dummies. Until you feel sure they are ready to take on the real thing. Rather than throwing the real thing at them, fluking a couple of reasonable perfromances at the start but cranking them up so high that they have no chance other than to make noise, and not be able to control themselves generally.

I think myself, mre than 50% of noise making is not genetic. Its how a dog is brought forward. They all have different adrenaline breaking points each and every dog indivdually. Its finding that point BEFORE you put them above it, and then slowly working towards raising the bar and raising the bar.

I also think its worth remembering that start a dog slowly, and you will have another 8 or 10 seasons to do as much as you like with them. Overchallenege them too young and you will be giving up on them as less than useful companions by year two, chances are.

However many guns do rush their young dogs, but its almost always something they regret. I find a dog who has never faced game in their lives but come to it about two or three cope better than a dog started too young.