Author Topic: Whistle training  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Sietske

Whistle training
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
I have just bought my first whistle for my cocker (show type) and have already trained the recall and 'stay'. However, I don't know how to do the 'turn this way' (two-pip?) and any other things. Please, help!  :D

Offline millrace

Re: Whistle training
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
you could start recall in your hallway.... roll ball or toy and when they get it and start to comeback 2pips all the way,,,even just anytime they are coming back to you whistle and then they associate this with recall........im sure this is not the most correct way but it works...lol
although having read post again this prob aint the info you were after..... :005:
if its directional ie left and right your after.....you will find whistle can be really confusing as separating direction from recall will be hard better to go with stop whistle and hand signals...
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline moola

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:03:42 PM »
The cocker training video I watched the other day simply had the trainer walking in zigzags (on a variety of ground) very calmly and getting the pup to stay near.  No whistle as such was involved.  If the dog went the wrong way, the trainer simply gently recalled.  I think what this chap was trying to do was to install the basic flushing movement as 'standard', building upon instinctive behaviours. 
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline Sietske

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:06 AM »
I'm sorry, I didn't need any tips about how to train your dog with the whistle, I just needed to know the different commands (is that the word?) with the whistle.

For instance: I use 6 short pips to recall. But what about the rest? Two pips for turning?

(English is not my mother tongue,  ph34r So I didn't form the correct sentence.  :021: Sorry! )

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
It doesn't really matter what you use as long as you're consistent about it, if a turn whistle is taught it's generally either one or two short pips but there aren't any set rules about it. The stop whistle is almost always the same for everyone though - one long blast. My lot will turn on one short pip although I don't really use it once they've got the hang of quartering properly, I generally use the turn whistle just as a reminder in the training stage if they're getting a bit carried away when hunting and not turning fast enough.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sietske

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
Thank you very much! So you only use your whistle for; recall, turning, and stop?

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
Agree that you should decide what your 'pips' are and then stick to them - it's easier for all of you that way. Mine get 3 pips for recall a long blast for stop and a single pip for direction change.... Which generally I only use on walks when I'm changing direction and want them to stick close :lol2: My Weimaraner is very good at following hand signals from a distance so that's how I taught her direction change with the whistle but my cocker still pretty hit and miss at it, so I'm afraid I can't really help you there!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »
Thank you very much! So you only use your whistle for; recall, turning, and stop?

Yes, really I only use it for recall and stop. I only use it for turning them when they're hunting when they're being trained if they need an extra reminder, Caoimhe is just one year old and I sometimes still pip her to turn if she's getting a bit too focussed on sniffing one spot instead of keeping moving.

Offline Sietske

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
Great, thank you!

Offline pwd

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
I use 1 sharp pip for stop.(never do a long single as this gives the dog the impresion it can take its time to stop )....2 pips for turn (direction with hand ) a series of pips approx 5 for recall....and sometimes a shallow longer chirp as to were to hunt ..if I think the dogs near were the bird or dummy is ...but this is a hard one to get ...as I forget mostly and just say "find it"  :P

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
I use 1 sharp pip for stop.(never do a long single as this gives the dog the impresion it can take its time to stop )....

That's an interesting one, I've never heard that reasoning before, all the trainers I've spoken to or used use a long blast for stop. I suppose it could depend on your definition of 'long', to me it's probably about 3 seconds and when it's trained properly it always gets an instant stop.

Offline pete19873.5efi

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »
Its quite interesting to see the variety of reply’s, I use the following:

3 second blast for stop
2 pips as a turn signal when hunting
3 pips recall
Lots of pips when annoyed

The thing to remember is that the whistle is an aid not a magic tool as you must first teach the command with voice before you introduce the whistle and at first its in addition to the voice command. Although you may use the whistle command more often in the future both commands are still used

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
Lots of pips when annoyed

:lol2: :lol2:

My stop whistle is only about 2 seconds long but my 'annoyed' whistle can go on for about 10 seconds :005:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »
Nicola is right to say anyway is fine as long as it it consistent.

TBH, I wish we had taught several pips for recall as there is more chance of the whistle being heard if the dog is a little way from you,we only taught two short pips.

We still need to teach a stop whistle but we are having a few problems at the moment as OH has been doing his own thing with the whistle and has over used it especially when he is annoyed and blasts the whistle till red in the face,she doesn't get what she is supposed to do when he does this,  >:(   ::)  ::)

So my advice would be what ever you do,consistency is the key  :blink:

As for pips for turning,i need to train OH first..... :shades:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.