Author Topic: Silly question...  (Read 3642 times)

Offline hanandhen

Silly question...
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
But I hope I am going to take Henry beating soon :shades: and I don't know what to wear!  ph34r

I have got a wax jacket but it is not a proper one - it is a slim fitting girly one fit mainly for swanning around at Badminton (which is where and why I bought it), although I can cram a fleece under it for warmth. My parents have actually got me a proper one, but they are refusing to hand it over until Christmas **has a very childish tantrum** :badmood: :015:

I have got a pair of brown, heavy duty cotton, kind of combats but not really, trousers (which I lifted from my brother :005:) will these be ok? And my wellies? And take my waterproof trousers too?

And should I take my gamebag?

Am very excited! But also a bit scared ph34r

But mostly excited! :D

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: Silly question...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
I think what you have described will be sufficient!  My hubby always takes 2 coats if the weather looks to be dry, he can swop to his Parker type coat but if its wet, he can wear the wax jacket.  Always wear layers rather than great big coats, he says this kind of stuff is too big and bulky to walk in.

Beaters don't generally need game bags unless you are intending to do the picking up?

Don't be scared....you will be fine....just be honest if you aren't sure ;)

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Lovely, thank you!

Still fallen out with the parents though ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Lovely, thank you!

I look particularly unstylish when I beat - leather Jacaru hat, wax jacket with tear in the ar£e from barbed wire, 2 pairs socks, cheap wellies and stockman over-trousers (I refer to them as plastic pants) - they keep all weather out and protect your legs from barbed wire, brambles, blackthorn etc. 
helen & jarvis x

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
lol - well I wasn't aiming for a fashion show, but wanted to be sure no one would laugh and point :005: Thank you!

I shall of course be wearing my comedy stockman's hat :005: Wonder how many brambles it will get caught in!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
Wear whatever will keep you warm and dry!  It's definitely no fashion show :005:  I have a pair of lined, waterproof/thornproof Seeland trousers but quite often if it's not too cold or raining I wear a pair of black cord jeans (don't wear any pairs you're really fond of though, I've ripped quite a few pairs of trousers on barbed wire). I generally wear Dubarry boots, a lined shirt, fleece gilet and either Barbour jacket and wax hat if it's raining or an extra fleece and heavier padded shooting coat if it's really cold. If it's really freezing I add thermals, scarf, fleecy hat etc. You'll be fine with the combats and wellies, just make sure they have decent grip. I always have a good pair of waterproof gloves, my hands are always cold and they're also good for holding barbed wire fences down, getting through heavy/prickly undergrowth etc. I wouldn't bother with the game bag, it'll just get in the way and I'd doubt if you'll need it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
Lovely, thank you!

How was it???? ;)

(and do you parents not agree with the working side then? Tell me I'm nosey though!)

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
It's not until next weekend, I was just really excited so I wanted to ask ph34r. They are really excited - well, Mum is, step-dad is more reserved - in fact Mum was even talking about getting a working cocker when they get another dog in a few years and working it herself! But they have refused to hand over the lovely big wax jacket they have got me for Christmas in advance of the day itself >:D In fact, they have put it in the attic to stop me getting it (I haven't the heart to remind them that I am 28 and more than able to get up there to get it down if I so wished  :doh::005:) ;)

I have tried reasoned debate, sulking, and nagging, and none of these amazing tactics have worked yet. What kind of parents are they >:D :005:

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
It's not until next weekend, I was just really excited so I wanted to ask ph34r. They are really excited - well, Mum is, step-dad is more reserved - in fact Mum was even talking about getting a working cocker when they get another dog in a few years and working it herself! But they have refused to hand over the lovely big wax jacket they have got me for Christmas in advance of the day itself >:D In fact, they have put it in the attic to stop me getting it (I haven't the heart to remind them that I am 28 and more than able to get up there to get it down if I so wished  :doh::005:) ;)

I have tried reasoned debate, sulking, and nagging, and none of these amazing tactics have worked yet. What kind of parents are they >:D :005:

Oh!!!! :005: :005: :005: #They are clearly horrific parents....demand a refund ;) :005:

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
I have just told them I'm going to put them in a horrible home when they start to dribble :005:

Offline JohnW

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
Get a descent pair of Wellies especially in this weather ....... Preferably lined as it will be cold out there brrrrr...... I have my hunters they are not the best on the market and probably not as good as they used to be since now made abroad but they do the job for me and keep the feet warm........ If you go to you local outdoors/hiking/camping or if your lucky to have one at hand a hunting shop they will advise on the best footwear that will suit your needs .... but do make sure your as warm as possible as there is nowt worse than trudging through mud,snow and ice being totally freezing, it may put you off beating for good  ;)

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
Here's a piccy of beating team in nice weather.

And in cold weather.

I agree with Nicola, forget about looks, I used to care how I looked but warmth is more important  :005:
Get some waterproof trousers and a good waterproof hat. Some handwarmers for xmas are a good pressie. Keep a change of clothes in the car. Dont forget a towel or coat for the dog, especially for lunch time.
And forget the game bag, even on a walked up shoot you'll soon regret it when someone gives you a hare to carry.
Milly

Offline JohnW

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »
Is that a little show cocker Milly? the little gold dog.

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »
Thank you guys, good advice! I have got an old pair of hunters, though I think I will invest in some neoprene wellies come next payday, they sound good from what people say. Until then hunters and plenty of socks!

Got my waterproof trousers, and a very 'special' hat :005: And Henry has his hotterdog fleece ready too.

Good point about the bag! I will leave it at home :005:

It is nice to see what looks like a show cocker, for that is what I am taking :D

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
I have just told them I'm going to put them in a horrible home when they start to dribble :005:

:005: :005: :005: