Author Topic: What tick treatment if any do you use  (Read 1870 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
What tick treatment if any do you use
« on: April 17, 2021, 05:49:57 PM »
Found 2 ticks on Ash already   >:D  Just wondering what if any treatment you use?

We have plenty of deer here - so wondering what to use on Ash 12 weeks old

Treatment or a tick collar

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: What tick treatment if any do you use
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 09:13:43 PM »
Beat ya! - we‘ve had 5 already!  :lol2:
Its always the same dilemma  every year and I‘m forever  hoping someone will come up with a perfectly harmless but effective solution but until then it‘ll be another collar for Humphrey this year I‘m afraid!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 09:18:33 PM »
 :005: The you got more than me  :005:

I take Ash’s collar off at night, so if I got a tick collar I would leave that on?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:58:09 AM »
You can leave it on all the time and if the dog‘s constantly in and out, as mine is in the summer, its probably easier but I prefer to take it off at night and also if he‘s swimming (not good for fish apparently).
There are pro‘s and con‘s to all anti tick remedies and I‘ve never found anything to be full proof, we live in the sticks and have deer, boar, raccoons and foxes and in early summer Humphrey still ends up with them. He gets a bit of garlic his dinner every now and again as well, no idea if it really does help but I‘m willing to try anything, (except Bravecto!) ;)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 10:38:33 AM »
I used to use Advantix, but found that it made him Dylan itch, he was always rubbing his back along the wall (and our walls are all pale, so he left dirty streaks). Last year I used Billy no mates, and there were no issues with itching. In previous years I would be removing ticks almost every day (we are in Scotland, in the country, with deer, rabbits (when the neighbour isn't shooting them 🤬) all sorts of wildlife). With the BNM last year I removed about six through the whole summer, and they came off easily as if they were sort of zonked, and not deeply buried. I was very impressed with it, and am using again this year. A teaspoon of the powder, which smells wonderful, goes in his food, he eats it with no problem. I'm much happier using it than the chemicals.
BTW, I thought garlic was not good for dogs, it's the onion family?

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 11:55:10 AM »
I used to use Advantix, but found that it made him Dylan itch, he was always rubbing his back along the wall (and our walls are all pale, so he left dirty streaks). Last year I used Billy no mates, and there were no issues with itching. In previous years I would be removing ticks almost every day (we are in Scotland, in the country, with deer, rabbits (when the neighbour isn't shooting them 🤬) all sorts of wildlife). With the BNM last year I removed about six through the whole summer, and they came off easily as if they were sort of zonked, and not deeply buried. I was very impressed with it, and am using again this year. A teaspoon of the powder, which smells wonderful, goes in his food, he eats it with no problem. I'm much happier using it than the chemicals.

Lesley and Dylan

Thanks will look into BNM

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:37 PM »

Lesley and Dylan

Yes, you’re right, its not good in larger amounts, i.e. a whole bulb but a small clove now and again is harmless , at least according to the information I’ve been given,  and is supposed to be helpful against parasites generally. I‘ll check out BNM though and see if I can get it here...thanks!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:46:27 PM »

Lesley and Dylan

Yes, you’re right, its not good in larger amounts, i.e. a whole bulb but a small clove now and again is harmless , at least according to the information I’ve been given,  and is supposed to be helpful against parasites generally. I‘ll check out BNM though and see if I can get it here...thanks!

Feeling very smug! Just looked on Amazon Germany and BNM was 33€ + 10€ Postage and delivery wouldn‘t have been until May. Ordered from Amazon UK and it was €26 including delivery and it‘ll be here next week! Thanks Lesley! Looking forward, hopefully, to a tickless summer!  :banana:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:00 PM »
I get it. From Amazon, Jayne. A bag lasted all last summer, I started for this year about a month ago, and there is still about another month's supply in the bag. So it's quite economical. It won't stop every tick, but they were greatly reduced, and as I say, the ones that did attach came off easily and didn't look very happy.

Lesley

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 05:25:30 PM »
I get it. From Amazon, Jayne. A bag lasted all last summer, I started for this year about a month ago, and there is still about another month's supply in the bag. So it's quite economical. It won't stop every tick, but they were greatly reduced, and as I say, the ones that did attach came off easily and didn't look very happy.

Lesley

Do you add it to one feed a day?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »

Lesley

Do you add it to one feed a day?

Yes, he has a teaspoon mixed in with his wet food. He has no problem with it. It smells lovely (to me, anyway 😄). It is a herbal mix, one of the herbs is neem, which I read somewhere that in India they scatter it on the flooor to discourage insects.
Lesley

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 08:45:23 PM »
Billy No Mates, and I need to reorder, thanks for the reminder.