Author Topic: Another Pet Insurance question  (Read 1530 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Another Pet Insurance question
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
Alfie's insurance is due for renewal in March. He is currently insured with Tesco as one of the practice nurses recommended going with a 'cheaper' insurer when he was a pup, more to cover any problems that might arise from puppy accidents etc, so my plan was to move him to a different insurer when he was a bit older. However, Alfie has a pollen allergy which has led to several claims and I didn't realise that the Standard policy I'd taken out didn't cover lifetime conditions. Tesco's do offer an Extra Cover insurance which gives you longer cover for conditions but because Alfie was with the Standard cover when his skin condition was diagnosed then that condition would be excluded from the Extra Cover insurance as I know it will with other insurers. I've spent some time getting quotes for lifetime cover and reading through the previous insurance threads here on COL but still undecided about who to go with. I went into Money Supermarket Pet Insurance for comparison quotes but it led me to PetInsurance.co.uk who quoted me with Lifetime cover and fees up to £4000 at £13.97 monthly which seemed very low compared to others, so I'm suspicious! Is anybody else with them or know anything about them? I'm also surprised that when I'm looking for a quote only one has asked for any pre-existing conditions, although I suspect that will come into play at a later stage.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Another Pet Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
Archie has lifetime Axa cover up to £7000 for just over £11. £4000 isn't actually that much in the scheme of things as in an emergency fees can quickly mount up. The pre-existing conditions thing is tricky. I've no experience but I'm guessing most would exclude anything that had resulted in ongoing treatment pre-dating the start of the policy. My guess (literally just stabbing in the dark here, so feel free to correct me!) is that they will not mention it when you take out the policy but there will be something on the claim form that the vet has to sign.  :dunno:

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
I think Emma is right in that pre-existing conditions will be excluded if you move. I've just moved to Axa, I didn't have to declare any pre existing conditions (although luckily we don't have any) but it said they would be excluded and as Emma says, I'd guess the vet has to declare that it is a new condition if you claim.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »
I knew that any pre-existing condition would be excluded even if I stayed with Tesco as they're 2 different policies and some insurers won't actually take you on if your pet has an pre-existing condition. Will maybe check out Axa too although I think that Axa are the underwriters with one or two of the other named insurers but can't remember which as I'm a bit dizzy looking at different quotes and websites. I'm also waiting for a quote from NFU as I remembered Elaine E was singing their praises a while back. It's a local rep will get back to me for them.