Author Topic: Changing pet insurer - AXA no longer providing pet insurance?!  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Alice10101

Changing pet insurer - AXA no longer providing pet insurance?!
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
Hi!
A quick question regarding pet insurance. Waffles is one year now and his insurance is due for renewal, has been insured with AXA and when I just checked their website it says theyre no longer providing pet insurance for new customers. I understand that I can continue to renew with them but as Waffles will be around for such a long time yet  :luv: I would rather find a new insurer now than risk having problems with AXA not providing cover in the future.

I remember reading last year somewhere that sometimes if you have changed your pet insurer you are not covered for certain things? Could someone enlighten me on any problems that can occur from changing pet insurer? And what the benefits are of staying with the same provider throughout your dogs life?

Thank you!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Changing pet insurer - AXA no longer providing pet insurance?!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
Most insurers won't cover pre-existing conditions. So if Waffles has had any illnesses, even something you haven't claimed against from AXA, a new insurer will want to know about them (and may check with your vet) and probably won't provide cover.

It's not only major illnesses and conditions. As an example, some insurers might not provide cover for any future ear problems if your dog has had perhaps 1 simple ear infection that cleared up very quickly.

Have a look at the recent thread about AXA where somebody on here had a huge premium increase.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
Seriously Alice - move away from Axa now!! Read about what's happened to me and Ali2010 and cancel asap!!! Remember with a new insurer that you're not covered for the first 2 weeks for any illness though.

If you haven't claimed then there should be no problems moving insurers at all. If you have claimed for minor things (like a stomach upset), then a new insurer might question that this is a recurring problem if your dog gets another problem with similar symptoms. From what I've read, though, as long as the vet can say that this is completely different and more than 6 months since the previous thing then you should be okay. Other people should come back with personal experience of this.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
I wonder if this is why existing customers are getting big hikes in their premiums. Axa no long wants involvement and are deliberately pricing themselves out the market  >:D
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Alice10101

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
Thanks for youre replies :)
I think im going to go with John Lewis Plus after reading some good things about them
Thanks for enlightening me! Waffles had an ear infection as a puppy so I guess a new insurer might not cover any future ear problems :(